Medical PG in Germany

Hallo everybody...i just joined today....i have completed my PG in India and currently residing in Germany....i wanted to know about the procedure for applying for a position here....i understand that pg in Germany is 5 years while in India its only 3 years....after the equivalence exam can you work here or do you have to study for another 2 years...also what documents are to be submitted....is it possible to join some hospital as an observer in the meantime....i am studying german language.

There were several similar posters in the past, all assuming that we know what PG is (I still think it means "Parental Guidance"). Do you think you can use this site's search function to find them?

beppi wrote:

There were several similar posters in the past, all assuming that we know what PG is (I still think it means "Parental Guidance"). Do you think you can use this site's search function to find them?

Funny reading this  :D. Probably that lucky draw we had on Saturday evening. Colloquially PG would(should) be Post Graduate, which mean he/she has already has a undergraduate degree + successfully a second = finished a PhD, Doctoral, or  Masters.  But there are many terms out there - hey, even Proctor & Gamble people will understand something else...

Tessa Joseph wrote:

Hallo everybody...i just joined today....i have completed my PG in India and currently residing in Germany....i wanted to know about the procedure for applying for a position here....i understand that pg in Germany is 5 years while in India its only 3 years....after the equivalence exam can you work here or do you have to study for another 2 years...also what documents are to be submitted....is it possible to join some hospital as an observer in the meantime....i am studying german language.

Maybe you can be a bit more specific on your academic background, specialization and experience in field.

Under the Bologna process, Germany is adapting to EU norms and are reducing the standards of its Diplom (FH) towards more international aligment with UK & US. As described 3y ago in this forum, here ,you can check your equivalency in anabin (link attached). With the whole Brexit thing ongoing, it would be wise to roll back to the original European connotation.

General note. Germany are more strict on whether the Title Doktor applies. So to avoid embarrasment (or loosing a job), maybe be a little bit careful on that part until you are sure (if it applies in India, it might not apply automatically in Germany)

The majority of Indian Universities are Ranked H+. H+ that mean that the Ausländeramt might deem it worthwhile to start an investigation of equivalency.  It might be stricter for medical/legal professions since fluent communication, strict laws plays a major role in addition to the standard academic tenure. Based on the Außländeramt investigation there can be multiple outcomes. The anabin site also have a consultancy service, so try it out.