Chances of an American Landing work in Bucharest?

Hey, I am very new here but I have been trying for several months to absolutely no avail to find work in Bucharest, Romania.  I have "lived" there for 3 months at a time for the last year but have only recently desired to call Bucharest my home.  My question to anyone out there is "do I stand a chance at finding a job offer here?"  I have a BA in political science from a very good school in the United States and an MA in security and diplomacy from an accredited international master's program if that makes any sort of difference to my chances of being hired.  I have worked as a user experience researcher and program manager in the US for Microsoft and as a intelligence analyst for a firm here in the United States as well.  If anyone knows of someone who will extend a job offer to a wannabe expat or have any advice for me, I would be absolutely grateful.  Thanks in advance to all!

I think you may indeed find it difficult.  You'll may very well need to have any/all of your studies evaluated for equivalency by CNRED here before it may be accepted by an employer.  Also, you will need an employer that is willing and able to apply for a work permit for you.  To do so may be more trouble and cost than an employer is willing to undertake, since they must show that the position cannot be filled with a Romanian or other EU national first.

Also, you didn't mention at what level you can communicate in Romanian.  This will make a difference also in getting an offer of employment.

By the way, could you introduce yourself on the new members topic please?  :thanks:

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Wow, a very fast reply!  Thank you so much.  I can understand getting the credits evaluated.  It makes sense to me.  And yes, I believe that has been the biggest problem for me to finding a job in Romania.  I am going to keep trying, obviously, but it doesn't look good.  That is for sure. 

As far as my Romanian goes... it is very little.  I mean I can hold a very basic conversation but that is it.  So I don't think that is going to win me any points. 

Anyhow, thank you again for the fast reply.  I appreciate the help.

Hi there
Do you any IT skills?from basic to experience from Microfost suite to programming languages?i am an IT Recruiter but we have some open positions for multinational companies in Bucharest.I need a uodate CV  from you ang get in touch.
Have a nice day!!!

EzraG wrote:

I can understand getting the credits evaluated.  It makes sense to me.

If you have several years of work experience, the papers don't matter. UXP is a pretty hot field and with a name like MS on your CV you should have no issues landing a job.

EzraG wrote:

As far as my Romanian goes... it is very little.  I mean I can hold a very basic conversation but that is it.  So I don't think that is going to win me any points.

There are plenty of multinationals in Bucharest where english is the company language, no romanian needed, try the big ones, e.g. Adobe, Oracle, etc.

atomheart wrote:

If you have several years of work experience, the papers don't matter.

The recruiting process is different here. To be legally employed in a particular field, you have to have whatever the government defines as the relevant qualifications, so even if the employer chooses you based on your work experience, you'll still need to have the papers translated for them to process your work contract and pay you a decent salary.

As atomheart says, try the big multinationals. If you know another language, it could also be useful. Tech support companies will employ people who speak no Romanian, as long as they know English well (for internal communications) and a second language, usually the language of the client country. The rarer that second language, the more you can earn.

atomheart wrote:

Papers don't matter?  :lol: Since when??  Maybe you missed the part of the topic that mentions he is an American (non EU citizen)?

Hi Romaniac,

Does that mean other rules apply for EU-citizens?

Thanks,
Dennis
Olanda

ItsDennis wrote:

Hi Romaniac,

Does that mean other rules apply for EU-citizens?

Thanks,
Dennis
Olanda

Yes, an EU citizen is entitled to freedom of movement.  An EU citizen does not need a work permit nor a  visa in Romania, they are guaranteed the right to live and work here.

Reference: Euraxess

Romaniac

romaniac wrote:
atomheart wrote:

Papers don't matter?  :lol: Since when??  Maybe you missed the part of the topic that mentions he is an American (non EU citizen)?

Ok, you're right, I wasn't aware that the papers matter during the immigration process...

Hi Ezra,
there is the possibility of finding work....but very slim.
Like you, I have a BSc in Engineering and a Masters in Education, and after redundancy, I am finding it extremely difficult to find work. The simple fact is, Romanian companies do not want to pay the kind of salaries we would expect, so they look to the Romanian community, as they will generally work for less salary.
The best thing is to look at the multinational companies.....you may get lucky!

Good luck with the search, I hope you find something soon. I'm still looking after 17 months since my redundancy!

Best regards,
Mark

Hi everybody,
i am recruting for multinational companies but only people with strong IT skills.Here are some of the open position:
Java Developer, Senior @System administrator,Delphi Developer,warehouse administrator ,etc.No need to know romanian ,english or some of them with french .
Contact me for details.
Good luck to all!
Cristina

@ cristina > Can you please post all your job offers in the jobs in Bucharest section? Do note that it is the designated section for such ads.

Thank you,

Priscilla