Mistakes you don't wanna make

I'm not sure if this has been covered already. So, for the benefit of people coming to KSA soon, new arrivals & even us who've been here for sometime, I would like to share with you some thoughts about what I consider mistakes I shouldn't have made which are related to moving, working & living here. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts about it, or you can share your own mistakes so we can all learn something from them.

The mistake I consider to be my biggest is a professional one. The company that brought me here offered me two jobs to choose from, either sales or administration. Since both jobs offered the same starting salary, I consulted with a friend of mine who knows the company and he advised me to go for admin. now after almost 5 years in KSA working for 3 different companies and dealing with much more, I know for sure that my friend was misinformed. There is no comparison whatsoever between what administration can offer you compared to sales, short term or long term.

So, if you have that choice to make, don't make the same mistake I did.

Now tell me forum, what's the biggest mistake you've done?

Sorry, Maz.. guess none of us have made any mistakes :dumbom:

Sounds like it...

Don't worry... I just made that one up anyway :lol:

MadMaz wrote:

I just made that one up anyway :lol:

Yes, habibi.. of course you did :lol:

lol i have one too. I company offered me to choose if I wanted to stay in a compound or if I would choose my own residence. Now a friend of mine who was already in KSA told me that hes managing well with his friends. My bad i listened to him and din opt for the compound. Now a few days back he and all his crew was posted to Jeddah and my company is saying it will take abt a month for them to settle me down in the compound where they provide the residence to all engineers ....lol and here I am ... reading Riyadh today and surfing internet and reading novels- all the great indoors xD ...

moral: go for a compound, whenever you can and dont listen to Alliecat :)

sajjad.ahmad wrote:

moral: go for a compound, whenever you can and dont listen to Alliecat :)

Me?!  What did I do now?!? :gloria

Thanks Madmaz for starting such a good thread, and thank you all for confessing your mistakes :)

Depending on contributers, this could easily turn into one of the most valuable threads on the whole forum. I am all eyes for the next series of confessions. Keep'em coming :)

MadMaz wrote:

Met Salman Omrani

g100f wrote:

Thanks Madmaz for starting such a good thread, and thank you all for confessing your mistakes :)

Depending on contributers, this could easily turn into one of the most valuable threads on the whole forum. I am all eyes for the next series of confessions. Keep'em coming :)

Very nice .. BUT .. where's YOUR mistake?

slyshooter wrote:
MadMaz wrote:

Met Salman Omrani

what was that? I thought I heard something. probably the nose like fly .. named sly. :D:lol::|

I love teasing you and you know that.

here's a tip.

when talking to local authorities try managing with english. if you can manage its better to keep talking in english, if half an hour of takling doesnt get you anywhere then try your broken down arabic.

[small][this tip was meant to non arabic speakers. fluent arabic speakers and native arabic speakers and sly flies can stay away.][/small]

Salman

Thanks g100f! See I'm a genious, people just don't get it :lol:

Now seriously, here is another mistake. This one applies everywhere I guess but one has to pay attention to this specifically in the Gulf coz the sun here can do wonders to things...

Six months after my first arrival to KSA, I bought a car. The car was in a very good shape. I checked everything, except the tires coz they looked almost new to me. One week after the purchase I went to test the car on an open road and see how it performs. At some point I was driving at high speed and one of the tires got ripped and the car started spinning like crazy on the road, then on the sidewalk, then on the empty land next to it. It's hard to believe I didn't lose the car... and my neck :rolleyes:

So, if you buy a car here, have an expert check the tires for you. Better yet, just buy a new set right away. :top:

uvnpsaradhi wrote:
MadMaz wrote:

So, if you buy a car here, have an expert check the tires for you. Better yet, just buy a new set right away. :top:

Only tyres need to be checked, not any thing else MadMaz???? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh isn't this a fine example of taking things out of context? :P

Salman Omrani wrote:
slyshooter wrote:
MadMaz wrote:

Met Salman Omrani

what was that? I thought I heard something. probably the nose like fly .. named sly. :D:lol::|

I love teasing you and you know that.

here's a tip.

when talking to local authorities try managing with english. if you can manage its better to keep talking in english, if half an hour of takling doesnt get you anywhere then try your broken down arabic.

[small][this tip was meant to non arabic speakers. fluent arabic speakers and native arabic speakers and sly flies can stay away.][/small]

Salman

Oh! so sad to hear all that my dear Sensitive Salman