Bringing US Currency into Cambodia

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how much US currency I can bring into Cambodia legally?  I have heard there are no restrictions, but others say it's $10,000.  What is the real truth?  Thanks.

What ever you can get away with.  LEGALLY $10,000. US go on their website it will tell you or google it.

I heard $8000. could be wrong.

$10,000

Thanks for the replies.  Seems as though $10,000 is the max amount legally able to bring into the country.  Any suggestions if I wanted to bring $20,000 cash?  Do banks there frown on Cashiers Checks?  AmEx travelers checks?  I have heard that at some international airports they have dogs who can actually sniff out currency.  They bust you for carrying over the limit then just take the extra cash for themselves.

I wanna say 10,000 max.

No coins do not bring coins, they do not use.  Please also bring many ones.  Caution as well... if you bring a 100 bill, if it has the new barcode, 9 times out of ten they will not accept.  Lastly, if your bill has any tear, defect, worn badly, they will not accept.  Banks will give you change to break a 100, etc.  For free☺  I have only been here 2 mos.  Hope helpful. Kim

Thank you for your input.  I understand the no coins and currency with tears in it won't be taken.  However,  I don't quite understand why nobody would take $100 bill with the new bar code?  Here in the US most places ONLY use the ones with new bar code & banks will give you those when you make withdrawls.  Are you certain about this?

Up to USD 10K without explanation, 96 notes no issue, above USD 10K you might be asked questions but more so on your departure than arrival, transfer, any amount.

Thanks for the info.  If I were to bring $10k in cash for deposit and another $10k in a cashiers check for deposit do you think there is any problem with that?  When I say deposit I mean putting into a bank such as Canadia in Sihanoukville.

You can bring as much as you like, but anything above 10000 you need to declare at the customs and excise office.

Jan, is correct. There is no limit - under 10K just does not need to be declared on the customs form.

I'd venture a guess you run more of a risk not declaring 10+ K amounts to your home country (or wherever you travel from) when leaving. It's a felony not to report and may lead to the money being confiscated.

When entering the US, it's one of the questions I find they always ask "How much $$$ are you carrying?" and they want to know the exact figure. I've also seen searches there at the departure gates of international flights.

USNAVYGUY, do you have an account with these banks already? If you do, I'd try to ask beforehand or have someone ask on your behalf. I would not trust that the check depositing be a simple process.

IF you mean US currency or negotiable assets you can bring ANY amount in or out of the U.S..  The trick is filing the appropriate FinCen Form (Fin Cen Form 105, which is Custom's Declaration for carry more than $10K into or out of the country).  You need to ask for a SIGNED copy (it has to signed at the LAST US port from which you leave the U.S,).  I have done this MANY times.  People here are generally talking about the $10K maximum you can take out of the country without needing to declare it.  IF you bring back more than $10K with you into the US you will need proof from the Cambodian Customs.  So when you come in ask them to give you a signed copy with your CAMBODIAN Customs' declaration.  Make sure you don't just check bringing in more than $10K USD and let them keep your Cambodian Custom's Declaration.  Also keep a copy of your SIGNED Fin Cen Form 105 proving you took more than $10K out of the U.S.

It is no sweat - you will just have to make sure you go to the customs office AT the last US point where you are leaving the U.S. Just tell them you want them to verify your Fin Cen Form 105 and they might ask why you are taking money out but it has never been any problem at all.  Usually, they will want to see the money but if it looks like the amount you claim - they won't ask to count it.  Keep in mind you are generally given a +/- 10% leeway.  They just don't want people laundering money by under or overclaiming amount taken out and then bringing in (or out) laundered money.

I hope this helps.

p.s. I used to work as an immigration inspector many years ago so this is the best information as of 1 yr. ago (the last time I took more than $10K out of the U.S. to Cambodia.  As I always suggest get updated info from the appropriate agencies to check for changes, updates, etc.

/Gary/