How to deal with a car accident in Cagayan de Oro.

I would like to know how to deal with a car accident in Cagayan de Oro. I have heard that one must not move the vehicle even if it makes traffic congestion and chaos on the road. Which number one should ring to Call the police? Is Police Cooperative and neutral? Is it obligatory to Call the Police? Do both parties need to fill any form for the Insurance Company? What if the other party refuses to fill the form or sign?

The easiest option is to settle with the other party involved in cash.Remember your always wrong your a foreigner. If you had'nt been driving it would nene have happened.

dinky -sure if nobody drove -there wouldnt be accidents but people do need to ,foreigners arent always wrong but if people give into the ones saying so then it becomes this way

No way would I drive in the Philippines with these crazy road warriors.
I tried it once and never again, the idiots on motor bikes are absolute moron`s and dont care one iota for anybody on the road, and if you are a foreigner and happen to be involved in an accident YOU will be blamed no matter what.

Can anyone give me a serious answer to my question as I already know that best is to settle down the issues with the other party. But what is legally correct procedure in case I have a comprehensive insurance or just a third party insurnce?

Pity that no one knows the right answer to this issue.

Go to the local LTO and ask them for the procedure.
If a minor accident settle up there and then.
The advice that as a foreigner you are always at fault holds very true.

Simple rules in Cagayan De Oro City and elsewhere (and in most other nations in Asia:

1.  the fewer people you get involved, the less expensive and less trouble..  so obey the bible advice of "If someone has something against you, quickly make it right, lest they drag you into court and you pay the last cent you have."

2.  Stay calm, minimize, be polite and make a Fast resolution.   Another truth you can apply that WORKS:  "As pressing the nose draws blood, so turning up a quarrel has no good result"

3.  Do NOT get involved in someone else s problems...  Unless a first-aid situation and no one is there to help!   (CPR/1st aid with kit and mask wise to have with you in tiny fanny pack)   The truth rings true: "Do not take someone else s offense personal, do not be a busy-buddy in someone else s argument".

4.  If you're not part of the Problem or Solution.. do NOT GAUKE..  move on quickly.   Americans in particular are susceptible to 'self entertaining from someone else s misfortune'.  And, in turn, can end up in the same mess if they are not careful.  "A wise man sees danger and hides himself, but a fool proceeds on and suffers for it"     ...  move ON...  don't stop.. don't gossip..  MOVE AWAY from that situation!

5.  If YOU are involved in an accident or incident...  YOu must 'take it upon yourself to quickly solve, pay and end the problem FAST'.  Don't call for others, do NOT delay the Fixing of it...  quickly solve, agree, and move on with life.  Do not 'satisfy' your natural emotional desire to Vent... instead, calmly solve it, pay as demanded..and move on.   ((( if you don't look like a walking ATM, you'll not get high demands from people in an accident ))))   

6.  Pride goes before a fall, but humility brings honor.   Humble yourself, be forgiving even when they are upset or at wrong....  solve, with peace fast.   Your humility and 'peaceful demeanor' can get you out of that mess.

7.  Do not ask the US Embassy to step in (or any other nations)..  get whatever is befalling you 'solved'.. paid in full FAST..and learn from the lesson..   Don't PUT yourself in an attitude, an environment of risk.

And, the above is from someone who survived 11 years in a 'hostile nation who hates america and brits'...  but more so, it comes from the living Truths of God's word on how to deal with some 'ordeal'.

8.  Finally, if you know Jesus..i would recommend your first response be to speak out loud JESUS.. and to speak faith with heart felt beleif to any ailment, injury, accident or incident... including dangerous ones.  Ps 91 is good to speak in faith when some storm is coming to your city/location...  these WORKED for others, and me...they can work for you..  if you have any understanding of GOD... you will realize HE does not want you in this MESS of some Accident or Problem... but He does have a GOOD way out, to save the day, and bring you to safety again.   Don't refuse so great a salvation, or the grace of loving people even when they are rude or nasty...  thats the gospel of unearned mercy.  thus, You gain mercy!

All good advice except # 8. Settle on the spot as fast and as cheap as you can and disappear as fast as you can. Don't give them any way to contact and extort you later.

MrNorway wrote:

I would like to know how to deal with a car accident in Cagayan de Oro. I have heard that one must not move the vehicle even if it makes traffic congestion and chaos on the road. Which number one should ring to Call the police? Is Police Cooperative and neutral? Is it obligatory to Call the Police? Do both parties need to fill any form for the Insurance Company? What if the other party refuses to fill the form or sign?

We got into a car accident on SLEX on our way back home from Tagaytay. My husband was the one at fault. He hit the back of an SUV in front of us. He knew he was at fault, and did not deny it.

This is what we did:

1. We did not move our vehicles. We waited for the police / traffic enforcer to take pictures and quick statements. This is to establish which driver was at fault and for insurance purposes. We also took pictures after the police arrived.

2. Since our car would not start, we had it towed to the police station / impound area. (Police station was not that far. Towing was PhP1,500 - the standard minimum rate.) The police took statements from both parties at the station. We and the owner of the other vehicle exchanged insurance info and phone numbers. Since we were at fault, we were made to sign a statement that if the cost of repairing their vehicle was more than the coverage of our third party liability (TPL) insurance, we agree to pay the excess amount out of our pockets.

3. Thankfully, no one was hurt from either party. We were all wearing our seat belts when the accident happened. Our kids were crying though (Our daughter was crying because the wing of her butterfly souvenir broke, and both our son and daughter were stressed out at the prospect of us getting home much later) . We were planning to get a cab to go home. I called my dad to tell him what happened. My brother called and said he would pick us up -- me, my husband and our 2 kids -- with his car. (Very nice of my brother to drive at night from his home in Valenzuela to Alabang to Fairview Quezon City and back to Valenzuela.) We transferred most of our personal belongings from our car to his SUV.

4. Since we didn't want to leave the car at the impound, we had it towed to our house. (From Filinvest Alabang area to Fairview Quezon City, cost was around PhP7k.)

5. We have both comprehensive and TPL insurance. We called our insurance the next day. We were instructed to bring our car to the dealership to estimate the cost of repairing it and also to talk to insurance personnel there.

6. The other party's insurance called our insurance. Our TPL insurance was enough to cover all the damages to their SUV. And I verified this too with our insurance. Usually, one pays a "participation fee" (PhP3k with our insurance) to the insurance company if one wants to make a claim for damages. I have not received any calls from the other party. I guess, to them, their participation fee was not worth the bother of calling us to reimburse them their participation fee.

For 'critical' accidents with real injuries or 'major' damage resulting in not being able to move safely or at all...  sure... nice steps.

..however, most accidents are 'minor' and again, solve fast WITHOUT involving authorities or others, pay to get out of that mess fast, and move on with 'peaceful talk and attitudes'.   Pray as you do, it works.  But, follow the principles I laid out.   

...only in a 'notable injury' or incapacitated vehicle. Should you go 'all the way to court'.

... while it's like a 'wild west' traffic situation...it's their country!..  respect that, be calm, and get to where you're going safely...  do not 'stand out' and no one will mess with you.  blend in.

As I said Settle on the spot as fast and as cheap as you can and disappear as fast as you can. Don't give them any way to contact and extort you later. All the steps above might be nice in a civilized Country but not here.