Expand your social circle in Vanuatu

Hello everyone,

Moving to Vanuatu means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Vanuatu? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

We thought we would make lots of friends (we had a large group of friends at home) when we moved. Alas it's not to be. It seems people are already in their cliques, and there's no room for anyone new.
We have spent many hours pondering this problem. I think if we had kids at school, or we worked, it would give us a better opportunity to meet people.
Because we love Vanuatu, we will stay, but it does get very lonely.

Hi
I found your message very sad.
I currently live in Australia but travel frequently to Vanuatu to our house there.
We have made many friends over there that we love very much.
You don't work or have small kids but that is neither here nor there.
Give it time,smile often and say hi to everyone.
You will be surprised,no matter which country it takes time to cultivate friendship.
Be patient and optimistic and can't hurt can it.

I have beautiful Kiwi,Vanuatian,Carribean friends and all it took was a hi to get started.

Hope springs eternal
Good luck
Kevin

Thank you for your kind response Kevin. We are a very friendly couple, however I will take your advise on board and keep smiling, it is very simple to do here. So glad you have been able to make friends.