Ramadan

hello,

we are about to move to Bahrain in June.came to know it is the holy RAMADAN month.heard that the stores and markets have very varied opening times.what extra precautions should we take?what i mean is should we bring basic stuff such as flour,rice,utensils etc?

Local Muslims eat after sunset, but they still eat so uncooked food should be easily available.
I have no clue about the law there, but good manners suggest not eating in public during   fasting hours.

thank you fred.i presume cooking at home will be difficult at least for the first day.so should we bring food for one day and the house hold appliances also,should we bring some or can we go out and get it? will those stores be working?

Hi,

All the supermarkets/cold stores will be open throughout the day, primarily you only have to avoid eating/drinking/smoking in Public.

this link below has some good info
http://www.timeoutbahrain.com/knowledge … to-ramadan

T&R

^
Nice link, but it should be noted Ramadan is calculated by the moon, not the sun as in western calendars, thus the date changes year on year.
This year starts on or about the 7th June, ending on or about 7 July.

thank you both logicalindian and fred.  :)

ricky raj wrote:

thank you fred.i presume cooking at home will be difficult at least for the first day.so should we bring food for one day and the house hold appliances also,should we bring some or can we go out and get it? will those stores be working?

Hi Ricky. Welcome to the Forum.
You are right - it is indeed Ramadan and restaurants and cafes remain closed during the daytime. Hence not much opportunity to get cooked meals from these outlets. Hotels keep outlets open for their guests.

I would presume your employer will accommodate you in a hotel for the first few days while you settle down here. Hopefully you will be able to have your meals there. If this option is not available or possible, then you can always carry packed or packeted food, such as potato chips, biscuits, and similar options. Most shops will sell such food items and soft drinks - which you can consume in your home or office.

As stated before, all restaurants, cafes and fast food outlets open in the late afternoon/early evening and remains open until past midnight.

Just by way of a suggestion, why not try fasting for a day?

It requires quite a lot of effort, but it will give you an insight into the way locals live during Ramadan, possibly helping your understanding of the people you're going to live and work with.

When I first did it, it also helped me understand those who are forced to fast all year because they don't have the cash not to.

That isn't a religious suggestion, just a social one.

thanks farhaz as always :) dear fred,will take your opinion into account.but we have kids with us and they have to be fed!