How to enjoy 2 years in N.C. living in a remote site near Kone

Hi,

I'm an expat starting to work at the Koniambo Nickel mines project. I will be staying in a camp near Kone, however I get saturdays and sundays off. I'd like some input on finding the best ways to commute to Noumea on week ends. Where to go? Unexpensive living accomodations for week ends and how to make new friends in order to enjoy this beautifull country ;)
Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Expat-blog, Danial :)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Noumea forum for effective networking.

Best Regards

How is your life going there Danial?

Hi Danial,

I am moving to Koné next month, and I got a car so if you would like to meet up and go around north of NC, that would be great. Any idea for a cheap place to stay? I need to get a flat or room asap as I will be starting over there middle of september.

Thanks
Sandy

I moved to Kone end of June and still in Vavouto Camp, only going to Voh Beach. Seem you can not do anything here if you don't have car. Just enjoy your life in camp.

Kone is slightly lost in the north of the island, especially Koniambo's mining site.  It's approximately a three hour drive to Noumea.

It all depends on what you're looking for however.  If you want nightclubs / bars / etc... then you need to go to Noumea.  If you want relaxing beaches, fishing, etc... you need to find someone with a boat.  If you want to go hunting, find someone with land.

Renting in Noumea's nicer districts can be fairly expensive (~1000-1500 a month for a studio).  I definitely will recommend getting a car, the longer you're planning on staying, the better the car (preferably 4x4 if you're up there).

Anyhow, if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me via private message.  I just got to Noumea a month ago (from the US) and I'm trying to get a job with KNS.