Dealing with emergency situations in Denmark

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in Denmark face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in Denmark?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in Denmark, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Hi,
I have had one such experience last year. I had visited my houseowner and had parked my scooter outside her home. After an hour, when I came out of her house, I discovered that my scooter was stolen...... I had bought it only a week ago.

My houseowner called the police and we also submitted an online complaint on www.politi.dk, where I provided all the details. The police called me next day, they had tracked location of my scooter and asked me to collect it. I got it back, however the thieves had broken the ignition lock and I had to replace it with a new lock.

Here are some emergency contact numbers (112 is being used in many countries).
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/emergencies

When we travel outside the country, it is extremely important to carry our danish residence card in addition to our passport. They had asked for my residence card during check-in when I wanted to board a flight from Shanghai to Denmark last month.

Regards,
Jay

If you are a US citizen and not a dual citizen, you can get an emergency passport at the US Embassy while you wait.  They have you in their data base.  In the process, you can fill out an application for a new one.  I got mine in 10 days. Be sure to check their website,

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Off-topic. Please post only when you have relevant infos on post #1
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Off-topic. Please create your own thread on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct