In retrospect, would you move again to Kenya?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Kenya, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Kenya so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Hi y'all!! we loved our experience in Kenya, but personally I would not choose to go back.
I really miss my beloved gardener/driver/pool cleaner/dog walker/friend/advisor Paul!!
We lived in Nairobi for a couple of years, my children studied in ISK and it was the most wonderful experience: "camping" in the Maasai Mara, climbing Mount Kenya, taking part in awesome community services projects, travelling to other African countries to discuss global issues and most importantly meeting students from all over the world.
The family also had the chance to see real wild life. The Kenyan people are gentle, accommodating, resourceful and speak good English!
My daughter will probably be eternally connected to Kenya. She seems to care deeply for the people, the wild life and future of this country. She is seeking a career in International Relations.
On the negative side, I would say the traffic is challenging, the roads are badly maintained; the blackouts/power shortages are frustrating; teenagers have little freedom and security. Those "shortcomings" can be dealt with some humour, common sense and resourcefulness.

Hi there, yea sure Kenya is a great country with great people.. soo sad you'd not want to return. but  i do understand the frustrations of being held in traffic for hours on end... we are improving with time. we appreciate your contribution and sure hope you'd reconsider your decisions even if its just a vacation with your family. anyhow be guided in your endeavors.Be blessed

I would not move again to Kenya

Majdizayyat:  Please expand on your response, such as giving reasons why you wouldn't move to Kenya again. This will help others. Thanks.

The country has the following disadvantages:

Extremely high income taxes
High rate of corruption
Low in safety and security
Extremely high rental cost and property cost

I hope the above helps.

Thanks

Hi Mwaniki can you call me **** thank you.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

For your own protection, please don't post personal contact details on the forum.

majdizayyat wrote:

The country has the following disadvantages:

Extremely high income taxes
High rate of corruption
Low in safety and security
Extremely high rental cost and property cost

I hope the above helps.

Thanks

When I read that I couldn't contain my laughter :D:D

Sadly, he is very right (except for the last part-property cost is high mostly in Nairobi's 'leafy suburbs' and in Mombasa's beachfront villas. The rest of the places are manageable)

Yes, already back in  Kenya , Heaven on the Earth. 😊

No. I would come as a tourist then leave. The adjustment was hard with kids accustomed to a different life.

Add price gouging to issues mentioned above.

Searching Nepalese in Nairobi...