New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2016 continues below!

Hi, I'm Mandy and I currently live in Madison Wisconsin. I am planning on moving to the Rincon area late August with my daughter who is 7. I have been to PR several times and am looking forward to never seeing snow again! Super grateful for a forum like this, I have already found it to be quite helpful. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Hello .I live in Rincon and you can pm me for a phone # and we can text . I have lots of information if you need any

Welcome to the forum and soon to Puerto Rico.

Welcome, everyone here has been very helpful keep searching the site a lot of info.

Just joined, great site.  Been living in Puerto Rico all my life but have tons of family in the states 😊. Able to help with info in anyway I can.

Hi SylmaTorres.64,

You are welcome to the forum,
We can use your experience and contacts in the island, I hope you will stay active, there are a lot of people whose experience with the island are minimal and are trying to learn about PR before their move.

Once again welcome.
PS Since you are new: it is best to either quote the person by hitting the quote link and then enter your comment or just type their handle name when answering questions, thanks.

Hi im new to forums and was interested in moving back to puerto rico this year have you seen any rentals available?

First off welcome to the forum, Cajanvie
As to rental units clasificadosonline would be the best place to look. http://www.clasificadosonline.com
You will need to tell the members where you want to live, so they can look around their area and more details as to bedrooms, and price..

Hello all! I'm currently in Washington State. I was recently retired, medically, from the Army. I've got two boys at home, 15 and 11. My husband is also a veteran. I'd like to retire to the Rincon area. I've been given tons of info via Reditt and Facebook. However, I need a concrete plan. I have pets. Lots of pets. 3 exotic birds, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 3 axolotls, 2 mini pigs, and a hedgehog. I'm excited to learn all I can, meet some like minded folks, and develop a time line and plan for our move.

We home you can come to PR soon, you are welcome to ask questions and I seen you have done some postings which is great. I do fear that transporting some of your animals may require special permits but it should be doable. The link that you received about transporting animals should also provide you information of any special permits needed, so ask them and let us know.

If your boys like surfing Rincon general area is the way to go.

Sandrarduncan, one of our members is very active in the Rincon area she also talks about a fiends of rincon Facebook club which you may want to check out.

Anyway hope you land in the island soon.

Not new to the forum but would like to reintroduce. My husband and I have lived in PR for 4.5 years now, in the mountains of Utuado for the first 2.5 years and now on the coast in Hatillo. Two very different experiences!
We're retired now and  love to spend time exploring the island, finding new places to swim, and  leisurely biking and hiking.  Would like to get into kayaking. And my husband is a scuba diver always looking for dive  buddies.  We enjoy day trips, especially to places where our small dog  can accompany us. 
We have not learned very much Spanish in our time here and have been looking unsuccessfully for a Spanish class in our area.
Hope to meet some of you soon!

Hey Joysarnelli,
Other than not learning Spanish you seem to be doing well. We have several members close by to you that you may want to meet.
Sitka lives in Hatillo if I remember correctly and loves to meet others.
I think Tonie064 also lives close by and many more members.

I know some that scuba but they are in the Fajardo Area on the East Coast.

Hi Everyone,

Thankful for finding this forum!  I'm Travis and my wife (Kat) and I are considering moving to PR.  My boss and her husband just recently gave up their 9-5 careers here in the mainland and moved to Maui.  We found it to be an inspiration and are looking to pursue a similar change.  We find the idea terrifying (so many unknowns!) yet exciting at the same time.  We would be leaving stable careers in the Higher Education industry (shes in admissions for a University and I'm in Higher Ed publishing/project management).  We have no idea where to start and have been researching a ton over the last few weeks.  Our biggest hurdle so far is finding work (how to pay the bills and maintain a similar lifestyle).  We live fairly modestly and are working out our finances so that when we make the move the only debt will be our student loans.  The second (at least for my wife) is her fear of the language barrier.  We both studied Spanish in high school and some in college but have not had use for it since; so we are "out of practice" to say the least.  We are aware this will take a lot of planning and hard work to make this a reality but we are already working toward making it come true.  I'm hoping this forum will help us to start networking so we can have a "support group" to help us through the planning stages, keep us focused on the "end result", and have some piece of mind when we make the transition.  Any feedback or advice would greatly appreciated!

As far as the job front - we have no idea where to start but we are both hardworking, well educated, and quick studies so we really are open in terms of what we'd be willing to do.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting to know everyone/anyone who is willing to help!

Travis & Kat

The unemployment rate is very high in PR, so finding a job can be a challenge. What many mainlanders have been able to do (and what we plan to do) is keep our jobs and telecommute from PR. If you are an educator, you might look into on-line tutoring or providing classes on line.

As far as knowing Spanish is concerned: most people in the big cities speak English, so you shouldn't have a major communication barrier, unless you're somewhere out in the sticks.

I think it's super hard to find a good job... and without being fluent in Spanish, almost impossible. I also telecommute with my job from before moving.

I think your best option is to look into telecommuting like lgustaf recommended, you could also write / call one of the universities here in PR but be prepared for a pay cut and a half if you do get in.

I work for Harvard University but I am retiring and have asked if they would like me to consult 1 to 2 weeks a month, and so far it looks like they will go for it. But I am not sure I will consult, I want to lay in my hammock and have a cold drink instead.

As to support group, we are pretty supportive, specially with advice and our experiences.

You need to take a trip to the island and look around, see if you like what you see. Spends a day or two in different parts of the island, they have a different feel and ambiance.

Welcome!!! This site has helped me a lot, I will be moving in just over a month, with everything to schools to moving company.  It depends what part you are looking to move to, members on here are from all over and can help with a lot.

Thanks for the feedback!  I've been to PR myself several times and many of the other Caribbean islands as well.  My wife and I love to travel and have been to quite a few places in Europe, South America, and the Caribbean.  We are actually going on vacation next month to the Dominican Republic but we are trying to plan a trip to PR sometime in the near future as well.  Both of our current positions could be done remotely, however neither of our companies is willing at the moment.  We'll keep searching for something that will work - I'd be content to do just about anything as long as a beach is nearby, lol!  As I said before we are realistic in the fact that this will not happen overnight but we have to start somewere. :)

I've been doing a ton of research over the day today trying to locate telecommute positions but haven't had a ton of luck.  Any recommendations on where to look or what companies?

Jobs are few here.  I would say about 50% or more of the population is unemployed or have to settle for less then full-time and that isn't a year around job .Unless you work for the government or own your own business. Your pay will be horrible. Most people are lucky if they find a job in manufacturing   
Retail or tourist industry .Which none of these end up paying enough or give employees enough hours or even supply them with benefits.  Maybe you can create a business.  But working here and taking jobs from locals probably aren't a good idea

Travisjwolf1981 wrote:

I've been doing a ton of research over the day today trying to locate telecommute positions but haven't had a ton of luck.  Any recommendations on where to look or what companies?

We meant telecomute from companies in the states. Linkedin, Monsters, and others let you put in tour resume and recruiters can contact you with interviewing oportunities, you can tell them you are looking for telecomuting oportunities. If you get the telecomute job in the states then you can move anywhere in the world and still have a steady paycheck.

If your current job wont let you then you need to switch jobs or wait until you can retire.

I understood that the telecommute job should be something stateside. I just didn't see a lot come up or am not very good at searching for them yet. Thanks again everyone I'll keep prowling the web over the coming months in hopes i can find something. I appreciate all the advice!

A lot of the jobs are found thru a friend or thru a recruiter. Maybe search for recruiters that handle your line of work
But if you enter your stuff in Linkedin they will come to you. I get contacted daily by 1-4 recruiters.
https://www.linkedin.com

Definitely have a plan in place!

Hi all, time for introductions! I'm Katie, and my husband and I moved to San Juan about 1.5 years ago - I came down for work, and we assumed he'd be able to pick something up within 6-9 months, even if the economy was bad. Nada! Even the hotels won't let you wash sheets or dishes without fluent Spanish skills. So right now, he's working on his español (as am I!!), and continuing to apply everywhere. :)

We love it, though. We came from DC, and it was a great choice.

Hi Figs81,
You husband expirince is typical, no jobs for locals either.
He could start a business, look around for what is missing and supply that
For Spanish try Fluentz course in spanish, sold by Amazon

Hey everyone.

I am new to the forums and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Chris, and my wife and I moved here from the States a year ago.

I joined this forum (been lurking for a bit) to find information on certain topics and to make friends. So, hi!

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum, If you or your wife have questions please feel free to post your questions.
Happy belated, welcome to Puerto Rico.

Thank you, Rey!

I'm looking for Spanish classes/tutor/group also.  My Spanish is bad and though I have a decent reading knowledge, I don't have the "ear".
Even a group of English speakers helping each other, maybe guided by a native speaker would be beneficial .
I'm in San Sebastian,  retired &  travel the island, but like to stay in the west.

Hi,
    I am Renette (Ren), an artist and art educator. My husband and I are considering moving to PR. We are unsure as to what municipality as of yet but we're interested in being within a VA hospital and close to a beach.

Oh my gosh!! This forum is super!! Everyone is so positive, enthusiastic, and helpful! I've read so many interesting and informative posts. I've received answers to questions as well. We are working in our plan and will be visiting PR the week of Thanksgiving to look at neighborhoods and properties. We have our eyes on the east coast-Luquillo/Fajardo/Cieba.

Well we hope both of you renwilson and BayAreaTexan find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. Right now is hot and humid, after August it will cool down a little. While temperature reaches 95 sometimes during summer, likely it will be in the 86 area must of the time and in fall/winter expect around 80 with an occasional Cold day around 73.  Mountains run about 5-10 degrees cooler year round for the high when you reach 1,000 feet or above. Night time lows run around 77-70 and in mountains during winter expect lows in the 60-65.
Always have an umbrella handy, for the sun and occasional shower which is likely around 3 pm or latter or at night. Sun glasses are a must, brighter than in most states even when cloudy. You are fairly close to the ecuator. Suntan lotion 50 or more. I don't ever use it but I am local, my color deepens by the hour in PR.

Try to carry a sweater in the trunk or a wind breaker, you will need it from time to time specialty when you get used to the temperature.

Hola and greetings everyone! I am Puerto Rican, born in Chicago and raised both in Puerto Rico and Chicago. My last visit was about 15 years ago when my cousin married. I have family in Aguada and Coamo. Lately I have been thinking of making a move to Puerto Rico to reconnect with family, culture, people, sand, sun and sea. I lived in Playa del Carmen, Mexico for 4 years and love the caribbean life. My main reason for not staying in Playa del Carmen and my concern with living in Puerto Rico (thinking Rincon since I can near family while emerged in potential work opportunities) is survival as in work.

While in Playa, I lived off of DJing for restaurants and beach clubs, festivals, yoga retreats and producing cultural festivities. As a visual communications designer, I also did image retouching for wedding photographers. I am basically a freelancer/entrepreneur in spirit and profession. I am comfortable social networking, culturally openminded, enjoy outdoor sports, community/cultural projects, and as a scuba (cavern) diver I like to get involved in ocean conservatory.

My one dream and goal would be to partner in a beach club/bar/cultural "center" environment that focuses on music, art, food, culture, lifestyle, experience while making a profit. For now, I'd be happy just living near the ocean to start off with.

This is a brief intro since I can go on and on. From what I have read through some of the forums, Puerto Rico has changed a lot (good and not-so-good). My family say one thing while your forums say another. I thank you for the stories shared and concerns expressed. It does shed a light on what my next move could be like. Luckily many concerns have been addressed when I lived in Play del Carmen.

FYI, I speak, read and write in spanish as well in case you want to PM me. Tambien platico, escribo y leo en español si deciden escribirme por PM. Gracias, saludos y abrazo desde Chicago.

Since you are fully fluent in both languages, you will have a slyly better chance of getting something MoVida.
You apparently have many talents and each could provide you a part time income.

To start I would suggest you talk with some of the photographers in the Rincon area. There are a lot of beach and same sex marriages in that area.
I would also suggest talking with some of the bars restaurants in the area, they may like the idea of a DJ or fill in some days for the DJ that they already have. Weedings will also be good as a DJ so talk to the weeding planners in the area.

You probably need a license for scuba instruction, but that is still doable.
Hope you come back to your roots and make money doing what you love.

Hello Rey P. Thank you for responding to my intro post. I have read some of your postings when scanning through the forums. You give great advice and guidance. My plan is to come down during the X-mas and NYE holidays to visit family in Aguada and get to know Rincón once again. I will also take advantage of the yoga studios and Surfriders group to network and socialize among the locals. Since it will be a festive time, there will be plenty of socializing! It will also give me a good understanding of the music and cultural events in Rincón. What I loved most about Playa del Carmen was that the diversity of the locals most of which were from South America, Europe, and Latin America. Very few Americans (they stayed mostly in Cancun) and some Canadians. How is the demographic of Rincón? And is it an open-minded, culturally conscious, and diversified environment? One event I participated as a DJ while in Playa was the Taste of Playa food fest. It was an international tasting of foods from the local business and I played mainly world music. With such diversity came plenty of options and markets to explore.

You are welcome, we are here to help.

Sounds like you will fit right in. A lot of the music in Rincon is going to be American Music, since they have a constant flow of Americans which in this forum we call Mainlanders given that we are also americans. Even the restaurants in Rincon have English signs and menus.

Rincon is not my cup of tea, I am not in my 20's anymore, otherwise I would be there chasing all the ladies and showing the ladies the island amount other things.

You will have a good time.

Where I live there is free yoga three mornings a week on the beach.  I find that in Puerto Rico people are simply accepted. What does not exist is the YOU-ME, US-THEM, XXXX LIVES MATTER frenzy.  The rule of thumb (and there aren't too many rules here) was written by the famous philosopher John Lennon: Let it be.

Yes you do follow great philosophers Carroll, that is a great quote!
And his music was great also.

Closed