Need some help to decide about working in Nigeria LAGOS

hELLO

I need a bit overview and help to understand the current scenario of Lagos. I have been given a offer by a company named "AFRICAN INDUSTRIES" which is a Indian setup from 4O years and deals with all kind of steel production.

I have been offered shared rooms and cabs with monthly pay of USD 1500 and location is expected 50 km nearby Lagos.

I wanted to check how safe is for Indian person (Single) to work and things not to do. Any idea about company and will a basic pay of 1500 USD is enough to survive and save at the same time.

Are there any indian community and how is the work culture.. Any place to enjoy ur weekends?

Regards,
Roshan

Good afternoon. I read your article  and have a few inputs:

$1,500 a month is rather small for a monthly income especially  if you are coming from another  country, unless this wage is exceeds your current  salary. In the same note, if that company is offering shared rooms and cabs plus monthly pay of $1500 and location is expected 50 km nearby Lagos, then I guess it can work but will be very tight and buying fresh food is relatively  cheap.

I'm a American  woman married to a Nigerian and have lived in Warri for 9 years and  have been living in Lagos for the past 3 years and it's  safe for ANY person (Single or married or with children) to work.

A couple things to be aware of is to know the correct exchange rate, always verify  your information through a reliable  source, do your research on the company, do research on the area your going to live in. Lagos is a Very Big city and it has good areas and some very rough areas.

Even though it's safe here  in Lagos, always be security  cautious . Be very aware of your surroundings, if you are going out at night to a club be sure to go with friends or people, carry your money  in your front  pocket and make sure especially  at night that  you are not being followed  home.

I never heard of this company, perhaps someone here has.

By the way there is a VERY BIG Indian community HERE IN LAGOS.

The work culture depends on the type of work you do.

There is plenty  of movie  theaters , shopping malls, resturants, parks beaches, boat rides, music, etc.

Like any country in the whole world, there  is good and bad  areas, people  and experience. Your experience  in this country is what you make of it and how you decide to live it and how you decide to treat people around you.

Have a blessed  day.

Lora 

Hello Lora,

Thank you so much for your details explanation. 

I would like to add that the company would provide me max salary of 1500 USD along with a place to stay rent and electricity free. Normal shared accommodation to office that it.

Considering the place they would give me the accommodation, I would post the same here for an update and yes you are correct this is a steel industry started by Indian.

My question now is that would 500USD which is around 1,000,000 Niara a good amount for your daily food and general expense with phone bills? Coz that is what i would be getting for monthly expenses.

My decision to accept the offer remain, if I am able to manage decently under the above amount for a decent life style.

Awaiting your answer..

Warm Regards,

Roshan

Yes, I think $500 is enough for food and phone bill and etc, if all other expenses  are being paid by your company. There are a lot  of  great  opportunities  in Nigeria 

Good  luck on your decision  making. I know  you will be successful  in whatever  you decide.

Lora

Thanxs Lora you are an angel :)

Hello Roshan,

With your permission, I'll keep it short and straight to the point. There are a few things you didn't specify..
1)Are you getting paid $1,500 per annum???? if Yes, Your stay here will be most definitely challenging-You will not survive here with that amount for a year.

2) I'm ill-informed about the mining and steel industry and as a result haven't heard about African Industries -this is not to say that they don't exist.

3)There are tons of places to visit in Lagos, it is a truly cosmopolitan city and based on your budget...You'll find that there will be some place for you to fit in...Social life is 100% active.

4)50km from Lagos pretty much sounds like Ogun state....with the Lagos traffic, that can be a distance...

5)The Indian community in Lagos and Nigeria in general will amaze you, there are generations of Indians who reside here and are very culturally connected to their home country.Suffice to say there is a HUGE Indian community in Lagos...

6)Nigerians are mostly hospitable and friendly...As with every cosmopolitan city in the world, You will need to learn the ropes fast and know to avoid certain areas especially after dusk.

7) There's a bit of disorganization about the way we do things which includes driving...we have been termed aggressive, but don't let that worry you, I've been to Bombay and lets just say you won't experience a lot of culture shock!

All the best with making your decision, Nigeria looks forward to welcoming you!

Your reply..Lora just gave you a good report about Lagos. In addition you have nothing to worry, Lagos is like the home of Indians. $500usd is enough for your up keep. congrats.

hello

thanks for the information you shared :)

I did mentioned that i will be getting monthly pay of USD 1500 that every month. From that budget I would like to spent 500 USD as my daily expenses in Lagos.

Happy to hear that u have been to Bombay and you think i can survive there. I will keep you posted for the exact location after i get the visa which will take some time.

Thank you :)

:D your welcome.