Advantages and consequences of registering with police for new flat?

I am on a tourist visa here and wud like to teach privates so not too keen on handing the revolting greedy , thieving ,cops my info

however. my landlady just pocketed my four months rent and somehow forgot we r supposed to register, she's a first time landlady. also delightfully told me its impossible to copy keys and she only has one. obvious lie. have to see her tomorrow as shendidnt even give me any for internal doors etc.

my big concerns r when this thieving scumbag landlady tries to steal my deposit, will not having registered matter much?? I have notarized contract etc....

will me being on 3 month tourist visa matter much?? I have two passports so can come back on either next trip...?

any other pros and come I should think of???

I presume registering me wud open her up to paying tax, but who has more liability then?

Hi,
I had the same B/S experience.  Paid money up front then the clowns tried to tell me I couldn't be registered and suggested I move into a hotel . The dumb cops tried to solicit a bribe by telling me my 3 mth tourist visa was "no good" to rent an apartment.

On checking article 131 of the property law here states that anyone on a 3mth visa can lease apartments.   if any problems, first of all ask the police officer to supply his identification and record the details.  He's a Govt official dealing with a foreigner, he has to do that.   Once you have that,  then request a letter from him giving the reasons why there's  problem.  Tell them that you have lawyers that handle your business, and you forward that correspondence to the lawyers. 

Then tell him that your lawyers will reply to his commanding officer , province head cop whatever .

Give them the name of a big foreign law firm in Hanoi that handles the multi nationals that operate here.

If he's bullshitting , he won't do any of the above and wisely piss off.   After all, what are they going to put in the letter........"the foriegn man won't pay bribes,,him won't play the game""😀😀 and that letter should be on a Govt letter head, signed by his station boss.   The Govt letter head should have that amusing little saying on it....Independance, Happiness, Freedom.     Yeah right baby😉

Be nice and business like. Don't act like a smart ass and they'll assume your too hard a nut to crack and they'll just move on to the next easy mark.

Good luck

People like you hurry to move in to some shelter will always get some trouble  :)
Even caveat emptor is a rare thing in Vietnam!
So better to be safe than sorry later.
Normally, before contract sign tenant should clarify everything with the landlord such as full rights, keys, registration in the ward police, maximum caution deposit....
Caution deposit is normally 1-2 months of the rent.
To evade tax many people rent without the knowledge of the government (with the knowledge of local police in most cases).
It is her duty to register your stay in the ward police. Otherwise she can be fined up to 2000.000 VND and evict you from the apartment. You can simply find out some hotel then.
Ignorance of law is not excusable!

the flat is quite nicely furnished.so big deposit.. anyhow, going to register next week. will report back