Need advice on Montreal

Hi,

I am a stay at home mom of two kids possibly moving to Montreal in a few months.  Not firm yet.  Want to spend this unconfirmed time checking out school system and places to live.  We need English schools.  I know there are requirements.  I'll work out if that is a possibility.  Would like advice on places to live and good schools (English - I am being optimistic).  Also, have a very allergic to everything child.  Need to know stores that sell foods that are unprocessed, pure, organic, and otherwise taste like cardboard!:D

Thanks,
L

West Island is the west part of Montreal with mostly English speaking residents. I don't know any requirement to enroll to an English school, but I think it's important to learn French as well. By learning the province's official language you'll be able to integrate into society easily.

There are many supermarkets that offer organic food or stores that sell 'green' food.

Where are you moving to Montreal from?

Montreal is in Quebec Eh.  Its like this city on this River and Leonard Cohen comes from there and Oscar Peterson too and the guy that wrote Duddy Kravitz and a whole bunch of famous doctors and stuff and their hockey team is called Les Habs.  They lost the F1 race because they didnt pay their bills and I have friends there eh so I like it because it like is only 120 miles from Ottawa except I think you gotta say kilometers or as you are required by law to say in Montreal KiloMETRES where the s is silent.

About your school question... well you aint gonna like it.. If you are an immigrant, you gotta send your kids to french school.  The only exception is if you or your partner went to an english school before in Quebec.  Since this does not seem to be your case, then you better start learnin' french ifn you wanna bring your kids up right..... 

Here is a good review of Montreal...http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2008/10/08/f-memories-of-angels.html

Garry in Switzerland

There are 2 public school boards in Montreal, English and French.  The English schools are bilingual, œ English, œ French and you or your spouse must qualify.  In order to qualify one of you must have been taught in an English school in Canada.  They ask for a letter. (check there web site, Leaster B Pearson School Board) If you do not qualify there are many private schools in the West Island.  We live in Hudson which is off island, but close enough to the West Island (30 min).  Also the public elementary school here is very good.
If you are still moving or have moved feel free to contact me, I am also an American who moved from the NE, and it took a good 6 months to a year to figure out how to get the services we were suppose to.