Keen to move to South Africa

My family and I are looking to move to SA; my wife grew up there.
Does anyone have any ideas on how we can do this. How do we apply for jobs and visas?

Welcome to Expat-blog, Puller   

Your discussion has been redirected to the South Africa forum for effective networking. This will then increase your chance to obtain more responses, testimonials from members around the region!

I wish you good luck for the future ;)

Hi there

My namre is Joachim, I work for an immigration company, and would gladly assist you.

When are you planning on moving to South Africa? Does your wife hold South African citizenship? How old are your children?

Kindly let me know and I will gladly assist.

Regards

Joachim
[email protected]

Hi Joachim,
My wife has a South African passport but is waiting for it to come back from the SA embassy in London (who seem impossible to contact).

As I understand it I need to find a job before I am allowed to live there but with affimative action this may prove difficult.

Do you have any hints as to what we can do?

We have 1 child, who is 6 months, with another on the way.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

As your wife is a South African national, you may apply for a Spousal Permit. This permit would allow you to reside in South Africa.

One can add either a work endorsement (allowing you to work for a company) or a business endorsement (allowing you to run your own business) to the Spousal Permit.

The benefit is that prospective employers do not need to go through the normal and lengthy procedures in order for you to apply for the permit (usual requirements are an advert by the employer, a qualifications check for you and other legal requirements). All these fall away if you are married to a South African.

In terms of job search, yes Affirmative Action plays a big part, however if you have something to offer which a prospective employer is looking for, then AA becomes less important.

There are a number of job websites for South Africa. The most useful I have found is www.careerjunction.co.za

Regarding your child (and the second on the way), have you obtained South African birth certificates for them? This is advisable if you are considering moving to South Africa, as they would not need a permit as South African citizens. But for this their birth first needs to be registered with the South African embassy.

Hope this provides you with a better picture. But please let me know if there is anything else.