Expats to learn French before moving to France

Hello everyone,

If you are planning to move to France, maybe you should start by learning French as from now.

In case the British vote for Brexit, expats moving to France will probably have to learn French. In fact, as part of a post-Brexit plans, English speaking expats will have to meet language requirements before entering France. These are particularly intended to reduce the influence of English in the country. Moreover, France is planning to restore French as the official language of Europe.

Till now, most of the reported measures aim at turning European Union documents, as well as signs displayed into French. But in case these new rules are introduced, English speaking expats who are already in the country could be compelled to taking lessons at the Town Hall so as to meet a certain level of French.

Furthermore, British businesses could be required to have Gallic names and have their products and services offered in French only on their brochures and websites. As regards annual tax declarations, languages tests could also be introduced.

Finally, the Académie Française will be turning its attention towards making sure that these new measures are respected once introduced, especially in regions of Brittany and Provence which have large British expat communities.

So what do you think about it? Feel free to share your views.

It seems there are something like 150 million full French speakers in the world (Not many more than the total population of Japan), most in France, some in Canada, and most of the rest in bits of Africa that don't really matter as far as business goes, and most of them also speaking English.

That's against about three times the number of English speakers, the vast majority of whom live in economically important bits of the world.
France might very well try to insist on French being spoken in their own country, but there's bugger all chance of them ever making the slightest dent in anything outside that country.

This idiotic Cnut attitude (I know the common version of the story is wrong) being displayed here is a mix of nationalism being used in the absence of common sense and the fabled king's attempts to hold back the tide.
The French government are clearly a set of King Cnuts, and should hang up their crowns as the monarch did, admitting the French language has no hope of ever becoming a world leader, or even a serious contender within Europe.
As for making the French language the official language of Europe, try telling the Germans that.
As a note, English speakers from the South of Ireland can't be forced to speak French as European rules would forbid restrictions on EU nationals and France would have a fat zero any hope of forcing business to mess around with name changes and French language sites just to sell in one country, especially in a global market where companies are changing product names so they conform worldwide, not just in the odd country.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoZf3RPz8RkuVbpsYO_KyISGUl3fKqwaPNhSCmlXYmQb9xJqFd

That isn't to decry French as a language, "Je t'aime" will always sound a lot better than, "Get your coat love, you've pulled", and where would we be without all the French words used in the English language?

Some online university or another claims about 40+% of modern English is derived from French, but most of their site is in English so they can be understood by more people.

The childish "Throw their rattle out of the pram" attitude of forcing English speakers in that country to use French if the British exit the EU is very silly, and won't do the slightest good as they'll still have to speak English if they want to conduct any world trade outside of a few bits of Africa and a bit of Canada, that and French business knows what language to use, as do many French politicians.

http://mordicus.hk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/7/4745572_12.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f … 844192.stm

Is French a global tongue? No, not really. It might well be used pretty much everywhere, but the vast majority of the world ne comprends pas, probably replying to a question uttered in French with something like, No idea, do you speak English?".

To prove my point, China isn't going head over heals in an attempt to get its population to speak French, and that applies to pretty much every other country in the world.

Basically, nationalism is daft.

Fred wrote:

It seems there are something like 150 million full French speakers in the world (Not many more than the total population of Japan), most in France, some in Canada, and most of the rest in bits of Africa that don't really matter as far as business goes, and most of them also speaking English.

That's against about three times the number of English speakers, the vast majority of whom live in economically important bits of the world.
France might very well try to insist on French being spoken in their own country, but there's bugger all chance of them ever making the slightest dent in anything outside that country.

This idiotic Cnut attitude (I know the common version of the story is wrong) being displayed here is a mix of nationalism being used in the absence of common sense and the fabled king's attempts to hold back the tide.
The French government are clearly a set of King Cnuts, and should hang up their crowns as the monarch did, admitting the French language has no hope of ever becoming a world leader, or even a serious contender within Europe.
As for making the French language the official language of Europe, try telling the Germans that.
As a note, English speakers from the South of Ireland can't be forced to speak French as European rules would forbid restrictions on EU nationals and France would have a fat zero any hope of forcing business to mess around with name changes and French language sites just to sell in one country, especially in a global market where companies are changing product names so they conform worldwide, not just in the odd country.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag … YmQb9xJqFd

That isn't to decry French as a language, "Je t'aime" will always sound a lot better than, "Get your coat love, you've pulled", and where would we be without all the French words used in the English language?

Some online university or another claims about 40+% of modern English is derived from French, but most of their site is in English so they can be understood by more people.

The childish "Throw their rattle out of the pram" attitude of forcing English speakers in that country to use French if the British exit the EU is very silly, and won't do the slightest good as they'll still have to speak English if they want to conduct any world trade outside of a few bits of Africa and a bit of Canada, that and French business knows what language to use, as do many French politicians.

http://mordicus.hk/media/catalog/produc … 572_12.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f … 844192.stm

Is French a global tongue? No, not really. It might well be used pretty much everywhere, but the vast majority of the world ne comprends pas, probably replying to a question uttered in French with something like, No idea, do you speak English?".

To prove my point, China isn't going head over heals in an attempt to get its population to speak French, and that applies to pretty much every other country in the world.

Basically, nationalism is daft.

Gotta agree Fred.  I think officials in France and both deluded and arrogant to think they are going to change the language of Europe to French.

Hi Veedushi,

Thanks for bringing this up - I fully agree with "start learning French prior to your arrival in France", or in general, learn the native language as early as possible, while still in your home country.  Do not fall for the "I can learn the language easier and faster when I am fully immerged in the new country" - argument.  Especially in France, that will not be true, and your early months or even years will be so much harder.  Take it from someone who has just made that mistake. 

And, I don't think there will be a Brexit.

Best, D

I agree Fred but from the point of view of moving to France to live I do think if you move to any country that does not have English as their native tongue it is good to learn the language, speaking  from the point of living in the country you would miss so much, I for one want to integrate with the local community and learn the culture, that to me is part of the moving there.  I read many times the English only being able to speak about 3 words in French, I wonder how they manage. I know there are many expat's in certain parts of France but it's good to have French friends too if you can. I think the French are more helpful if they see you have at least made the effort even if your French is far from perfect......it's like the old joke...France is okay but they all speak French...  :)

Learning French when you intend to live in France is essential, as all expats should learn the language of their host country, but trying to make French the official European language is daft and unrealistic.

It's pretty much the same as the people in Britain who insist the inch should be kept regardless of how useless and difficult it is to use when compared to metric measurements. It's nationalist crap that doesn't stand up to any logic at all.

Common sense is the only real factor in things such as these, so expats learning French is a good idea, but the rest is a pile of steaming horse poop, just less useful.

With you there Fred....