Moving to the United Arab Emirates with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to the United Arab Emirates with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in the United Arab Emirates?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Kindly note that this thread has been edited to focus on family expatriation

I had moved alone but around me some people who moved with their wifes and kids. One of the advantages your kids will get, their English will be prefect I believe. I met some ladies who got their kids here, and the kid's native language became English.

We have lived in Abu Dhabi for three years now.
Yes, it was hard at first, but I think you have to give yourself at least a year to settle in.
Our 22 yr old daughter came here with us, but returned to NZ after five months, just was t her thing.
It's a lovely safe place to live, may we remain here for the future, life is what you make it, good positive attitudes 😎😎😎😎

When we went to the UAE is was very difficult to adapt for all of us...
after 6mnts kids had friends already...
now 3 years later they know the English well since this is not our mothertongue.
But since we came from a european country there are certain things which are weird like the 'workers' luving in camps with only men and this for years without the wife and kids so lot of these men are frustrated and i was always very aware in the compunds my kids were not out there alone with them...same as in the toilets in the malls...I still find that a worry!!!! Nobody talks about this and they say all is fantastic ...but you also have to watch your back....
We moved back to Europe now .
Goodluck in UAE

Moving to a new place is always tough on the kids. Losing friends, changing schools and having to give up so much. But it teaches them how to adjust and adapt to new situations and turns them into flexible human beings. They eventually learn that life is what you make it. Me and my kids moved to Dubai 4 years ago. They were obviously not very happy at first but we tried to show them the positives rather than focusing on the negative.
I'm very proud to say that they've not only adjusted well but gotten to know so much about the diversity of cultures, nationalities and different religious beliefs that no other place offers the way Dubai does. This in return has taught them tolerance and acceptance of others.
It's a beautiful and extremely peaceful place to live in. There's always so much going on and you can never expect a dull weekend.
Me and my family love being here as we have made so many beautiful memories in Dubai that we shall cherish no matter where life takes us.
Hope you have an equally beautiful experience living In Dubai 😊
Ayesha