Moving to New Zealand with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to New Zealand with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in New Zealand?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Schools - try to investigate before you move. We were lucky, but it is well worth spending some time on this.

I'm a native speaker of English, my husband is fluent and used English in an academic context.  My step-son had English as a third language and adjusted almost instantly. Don't worry about language skills - kids adjust fast.  He had to get used to wearing a uniform though.

Recipe for a successful move?  Be realistic.  Every country you move to has its good and bad points, and will be different.  Don't moan about prices, the weather or how Amazon charge shipping to NZ.  Do your research before you move, and if you don't like fresh air, fantastic scenery, eating only seasonal produce and saying thank you to the bus driver when you get off the bus, don't move here.  Simple as!