Moving to Italy with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Italy with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Italy?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Adapt, integrate, learn the language or at least make an effort, render yourself useful in your new country, prepare the children by talking what is about to happen, involve them and it is easier when the children are small.

My children were born in the country where we reside. We teach them three languages, they are used to an international environment, so they will adapt quickly the next time we move. It is not so much the children you have to worry about. They quickly adapt. Maybe it becomes tougher when children reach the age of 14, 15 years old.

Italians are generally friendly if you make an effort. The procedures and burocracy is terrible- Key factor in Italy is to have patience and don't expect things to be done tomorrow.

Hi there,
I live in Sydney, Australia and I am thinking to move my wife and three sons to Milan for one year. Our sons are 7, 10 and 11 and I wanted to hear from anyone that has done something similar and what have been some of the highs and some of the lows. We plan on putting our sons in school there, working from home and traveling most week ends. We figured that Milan would be the best city to do this from because we could access most of Europe easily from there and it is also the city that is most livable.

Would love to get some insights, experiences  and tips from anyone who has done something similar,

Thanks

Frank