Working as an English or Spanish teacher in Spain.

Hello everyone! Right now, I'm planning to study either Spanish or English in university so I can work as a teacher. I was wondering if it's easy to find jobs in Spain as an English or Spanish teacher? I know that jobs as an English teacher are much easier to find because they're in high demand, but I read that they're also quite competitive. What about jobs as a Spanish teacher? I need an honest answer because this will affect what I'll study soon in August or September this year.

My dream is to live in Spain someday, and if I can't live there then I will consider the United Kingdom. Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Hi Kenneth,
I have been an English teacher for only 6 years, but to be frank, I haven't seen many opportunities in Spain. Certainly not in the area I live in. In truth, you'll probably end up doing what most serious, professional TEFLers do - work in another country for a few years before coming home and probably earning barely enough to get by.
It depends on your personal financial situation. If you own a property so have no rent/mortgage, you may get lucky and get enough private work or a position in a language school to enable you to tick over.
The problem is a simple one: 15 - 20 years ago, there was a shortage of qualified language teachers and the natives had the finances to pay for lessons. Now? The world is swamped with English language teachers from Canada, USA, Oz, UK, Philippines, etc,, often armed with mickey mouse on-line certificates and this has decimated the income potential. Teachers are literally two-a-penny! Worse still, because of the mess Spain is in, few people have the spare cash to pay for language tuition! The only way to stand above the rest is to get a DELTA and an M.A., get a "proper" (school) teaching certificate or go and work in the Middle East! I am just finishing 2 years there and, honestly, it's almost put me off ever teaching again!
What is your background? Why go into teaching specifically?

Thanks for taking your time to respond, Tenerifediver.

I'm planning to study Spanish since it's the easiest subject for me and I'm already very familiar with it. I don't feel stressed and can get straight to the point very easily. I had originally studied "Computer repairing" for just one year, but it was a waste of time since I didn't get enough on-the-spot practice as they were short on spare computers. I'm already 24 years old, haven't got a job, my family is spread out around the country, and I just want to start my life already. I'll probably decide on moving to the United Kingdom since I like the British culture, the country's European architecture and its lifestyle.

That's the plan I have in mind once I graduate from university in the future. I may consider Canada as well since it's a bit better than the US. I just want a new life experience in a country where I can be stable in with a nice job. Another reason I have for moving to the UK is that you can travel to other European countries very cheaply since they're so close.

Where are you from?

The United States.

You do realise that visas are not dished out so easily to Americans? You need to jump through plenty of hoops to be in with a shout.