Expat and ex path

Hi,

I've been in Brazil for such a long time, I'm almost Brazilian. However well you may fit in and adjust to the local environment, some things never change.

I love Brazil, although many people ask me why. I've visited most countries after 12 years as a navigating officer. Brazil is a new country and is in formation. There isn't a mold you could fit Brazilians into. The general profile is still in metamorphosis. That's why; most foreigners can easily fit in if they work on it a little. Here is a land of what I call 'free enterprise'. If you believe you can do it - go for it.

I have had a language consultancy for 28 years. I have written books and have experience in teaching Brazilians the English language, especially how to think in English. Unfortunately the market has ground to a halt as the economy has run out of steam.

I am now exploring the freelance business possibilities, which are abundant, albeit illusionary and hard to pin down.

If I can be of assistance in any way, please get in touch.

Dig in and dig it!

Hello Kiiwiineil,

Brazil, a new country in formation? Really, I wonder what gives you that idea. Brazil was colonized and governed by the Portuguese more than five and a half centuries ago. and became fully independent in 1822 and proclaimed a Republic in 1889. So even if we're only talking about the period from independence to the present, that's now almost 2 centuries. Hardly what one could consider a "new" country.

The problem faced by Brazil is not anything to do with age, but rather it's history. Brazilians have been systematically programmed to accept being robbed at every opportunity and keep their mouths shut about it. That started with the Portuguese and the only thing that has changed since then is the face of the bandit. It's now a Brazilian politician. Since discovery anyone bold enough, or foolish enough, to complain vanished, was stricken with some mysterious fatal illness, was killed in an accident, or committed suicide. In fact a few of Brazil's presidents met their end this way.

Now Brazilians find themselves paying a very heavy price for centuries of complacency. The economy is in collapse, Rather than create incentive for foreign investment which this country desparately needs, this government has made it much more bureaucratic, costly and less profitable. That's not to mention the terms of the USA's Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, that provides for US prosecution of anyone, regardless of their nationality, who engages in corruption if they are entities that are listed on the US stock exchange.

The only thing that really is new about Brazil is that they're finally starting to wake up in political terms. They now understand (at least those who don't have some personal agenda or have been bought) that it doesn't matter a rat's backside if Dilma gets impeached or not, if there are new elections or not, because the politicians are ALL the same.

Anyway, so much for the lecture on history... regarding freelancing that's great if you already have permanency in Brazil and are prepared to wend your way through the mountains of paperwork and red tape that operating a business legally entails. It's certainly not going to be of any help to anyone who doesn't already have their VIPER. The real problem you will be faced with is that for every possible freelance scenario you could possibly think of, there are probably a couple of dozen or more Brazilians doing the same thing on the grey market in every city across the nation. Don't forget they're masters at that, it is part of the "Jeitinho Brasileiro."

Good luck to you in whatever you attempt in the future. It's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hello James,

I agree with you when you say that Brazil is a relatively old country as far as time is concerned. I meant 'new' in the sense it hasn't found its sociological legs yet. The European, African, Middle East and Oriental influences have not forged the native Brazilians into one homogeneous personality yet.

Corruption is rampant, as is in most countries, over the table and under the carpet. Enterpreneurship in business is widespread, but ex-pats should have the upper hand if they use their priveliged knowhow well.

I guess that each one has to dig his own trench. If one doesn't like it here, the best thing is to get out as soon as possible. I'm here to stay and intend to do my part to make it a better place to live in.

Neil

This country will never be truly open to Enterpreneurship until it changes its sadly outdated Decreto/Lei No. 6.815 Estatuto de Estrangeiro, which for the most part doesn't even conform to the Constitution. It's a hold-over from the military regime and clearly demonstrates the authoritarian attitudes of that era. The main problem with Brazil is that it has always tended to be an isolationist county.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Truely Brazil is isolationist, but it was literally cornered into being so, mainly due to it being the only Portuguese speaking country in South America. In that vein, it has stood up pretty well to the challenge, both culturally and economically. Brazil stands out as a leader in the continent, although the dictatorial influence of its neighbors rubbed off onto it as a consequence of osmossic contamination.

One thing we have to take out hats off to the continent - is that they have managed pretty well to get on with their neighbors, thus avoiding wars and border tension, although there are unmistakable under currents between brother countries. All in all, each one goes about his business without irking or bothering the other - quite similar to Europe.