Moving to Adelaide with my family - Shipping advice needed!

Hi all,

Had a few questions regarding a future move to Australia, most of my questions have been answered by friends who have successfully moved. Planning to move to Adelaide with my husband and two children and have a new car. I'm looking into shipping the car with us and was wondering if anyones done it before? Is it worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi
You have to have owned the car for at least a year without having a loan on it.
Also need to take into account customs and duties taxes.

The shipping cost would be around 1300 pounds. Then duties on arrival.

Your vehicle would then require a check here to make sure it passes Australian compliance laws. There is a cost for this.

The car may sit in customs for some time before you can pick it up. Most people use an agent for this which is another cost.

Then you would be required to register the car in Adelaide.

This would be around $600 or more depending on number of cylinders. For this info try www.sa.gov.au

You cannot sell the car for 2 years after importation. I suggest that you go online and look at the cost of buying a car here when you arrive.

I would say, buying a car in Adelaide is the best option to avoid all this hassles as one has to undergo a lot of formalities as mentioned in the above comments, unless the car is really a self attachment to the family