Bringing my Rock n Roll experience to KL

Hello Expats!
I'm Stephen Borgovini! Well that's my name. I'm actually just a mass of spinning molecules along with everything else.
If my name sounds a bit familiar with you Europeans that because I am the original drummer for the band Fun Lovin' Criminals. You would know I'm from NYC.
I've been here on and off for the last couple of years.
I've recently purchased a motorcycle and find the riding here exhilarating. The fact that there are really no laws for motorbikes makes it a very different ride from the states. I also enjoy the fact that for us bikers we don't worry about the Jam, pay for parking or tolls.
I' m teaching drums and guitar at Bently Music Academy in PJ, next to Ikea, Tesco and The Curve.
I also offer a service where I come to your house.
Please get in touch if interested. **
Have a great day!

Steve O

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : For your security, please send your contact details through your private message system.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I would also invite you to post an advert in the music classes in Kuala Lumpur classifieds. ;)

Thanks Christine.
I just posted the advert.
Are you the moderator of the board?

@Steve.

To find out about members hold you mouse over the avatar.

Thanks Stumpy!

Hey Stephen,
I've heard of your band before. I kinda' used to be into punk rock and all. Welcome to Malaysia :)

And no laws for bikers makes it hell for us drivers...haha

Hi Steve,

Do they sell Cleartone 9-42's at Bentleys?

Cheers,

Nice to meet you man. We were pretty far from punk rock!

No idea brah.

Hi, may I know  do you teach acoustic guitar?

hi Stephen, Happy new year and welcome to Malaysia!

i used to work in Bentley, if i'm around again, i'll drop by and say hello~ : )

Hi steve, i just arrived this week in KL and will be living here at least the next couple of years. With your background and work i was wondering if you know if there sort of a rock 'n roll scene here in KL. And maybe i would like to learn to play guitar aswell.
Greetings
Ronald

Unfortunately the music scene is dominated by local and Filipino musicians.

But surely there must be people over here that love rock 'n roll, metal, blues or whatever aswell right?

Yes, everyone else plays those styles. You need an Artist visa to perform in Malaysia sponsored by the promoter or venue.

The main music stores are Bentleys, Swee Lee, CK Music, Music Bliss, The Guitar Store, Guitar Collection and a few others. I've bought quite a few guitars and equipment from many of them over the years. In fact my first was an Ibanez Artist AS200 that I purchased from Swee Lee Music in Singapore in 1982 when I lived there and my last was a USA made Fender Stratocaster from Bentleys in Bukit Bintang. I mostly just jammed with friends, other students at Yamaha Music School in rehearsal studios. Swee Lee Music opened up stores in KL quite recently. But in Malaysia Bentleys are the biggest store but all guitar shops offer lessons.

For lessons you can find at most of these places. Then place an ad, meet some of the other learners and arrange to jam with them at rehearsal studios. The guitar teachers usually know people looking for band members and where to jam.

To Hansson - Most stores here do not sell Cleartone 9-42's. Instead they just stock Ernie Ball or Fender strings and the usual brands. I also use Cleartones and usually order directly from the US or I buy them in Ochanomizu or Akihabara in Tokyo. They are amazing strings.

Ronnald, yes if you go to any guitar store, I many of the salesmen play rock, blues and metal. It's easy to find teachers who will teach you how to shred. I used to have lessons at Guitar Collection in Megamall, not sure if they are still there now. I took metal/rock lessons there for about a year. At CK Music there used to be a guy called Jaya who played brilliantly, he recorded and performed but worked in sales in that music store, and he taught too. But that was like 10 years ago and I think he must have left long ago. So guitar stores often have budding rock guitarists as salesmen who will teach for a fee.