Punta Cana?

Just curious if any expats live in Punta Cana? Seems everyone on here I speak with is from the North coast. If anyone is I would like to hear your stories and/or opinions of day to day life, crime, local people, traffic etc.😎

There are expats who live in Punta Cana.  Scan the threads to see what you can find, otherwise hopefully they find this thread.

I lived in La Romana ( hour from Punta Cana)  until very recently. 

Punta Cana has no real Dominican culture.  It could be anywhere,  its geared to expats and tourists. It is more expensive then many other places but has nice beaches and lots and lots of hotels.

Thanks for responding :-) The main reason we are moving is for the beaches, weather, lower cost of living, flip flops everyday :-) and just the experience of waking up everyday to the  turquoise Caribbean!.

We bought a condo there brand new and I thought the price was cheap! for 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 balcony and a rooftop terrace, but I really found the HOA fees to be very reasonable, only $150 a month and includes wifi too, and condo is across the street from Bavaro beach.  We are coming soon to look at villas not too far from there, and if we like them we may decide to sell the condo or rent it out (just because we think we would like having our own home/pool/garden). The villa's are even cheaper and that's with an extra lot and pool in a secured community, I can't find anything in Florida like this for under $115k brand new that's for sure.

I don't mind that it's not going to be as much of the Dominican cultural then other places in the DR, we might like that to adjust, and then after a few years venture out to a different area.  I know there are a lot of tourists, but hopefully most will stay at their All Inclusive hotels where they have no need to leave LOL!  As long as I have my little piece of paradise to come home to, I think the area is going to be good for us. I do look forward to traveling around for weekend trips to see different areas :-)

Hi Kat- we have been planning a move for this summer to Punta Cana with our two little girls, ages 6 and 9. My husband has been working btw there and here in FL for a couple of years now, and we were looking forward to the move for a slower pace of life and bilingual education for our kids. We are building in Hacienda del Mar. We have unfortunately put the move in hold because last month, they broke into my husband's current apartment in the Village, while he was there and sleeping. Thank God he did not wake and they did not harm him but they took lots of valuables and left us feeling very vulnerable. The area is supposedly safe and there is security everywhere. The month prior we had been in the same apartment w the kids, scary thought. We are having serious second thoughts. Anyway, it could happen anywhere i guess but it really makes you think twice. Very sad but the kids will probably be happy to find out we are staying here with their friends and school. Anyway, PC Is a beautiful area but just felt I must respond to at least let you know our experience :-/

Hi Thanks for the heads up! Was the Apt in the village a gated with security guard? The boldness of these people is scary. My realtor which I have become friends with is from Canada and her husband is German and she really dosen't have too many horror stories to tell in this area and they have lived there over 20 years. I wonder if having a safe really serves a purpose or do they just rip it out of the wall? How did they get in? Did they break the door down or come in a window? Just wondering because you said your husband didn't wake up. I sleep really light so I know i would be awake...scary.

That is the joy of this country, lots of variety. It only matters you find what works for you!!!

They appear to have come in thru the sliding glass door, which may have been unlocked.??He didnt check before bed :-/ but the question is who left it unlocked, could have been the girl who came to clean or the maintenance guy, someone taking advantage and knowing what my husband had, when he was home and warching til he went to sleep.  It was a gated complex w security guards. Although it almost seems to be an inside job... Security cameras when reviewed went down at midnight and came up again at 3am. We were told by everyone that the area was very safe. I think they minimize a lot of it to promote the area for foreigners. Investors, expats, tourists, idk of i believe what i have heard. Many people esp those trying to getnus to invest or buy real estate talked so much about how safe ut was. Lots of false sense of security. The actual locals are a really small community. Everybody knows everybody. We have a couple businesses  there now and so everyone knows it. I think it's important to keep a low profile but that's tough is such a small community. I would also get a big dog. Anyway, hopefully ours was an isolated, rare case but not sure. There is too much motivation to mask over these things and continue with the appearance that it's all safe and paradise. I am so bummed and it really feels as if my husband was targeted and it makes me feel nervous for the kids. Am bummed was very excited. We will still be there a lot but a permanent move may be on hold for awhile ;)

This happens in most tourist areas around the world...Safety should be number one priority, double locking everything a must, definitely not trusting maids, security guards, or so called "friends", not even cops.
The mindset here is totally different from  back home. Here you are a target and you have to be aware of that at all times. If you let your guard down, you are preyed upon!
After living in Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Sosua and Jarabacoa for the past 6 yrs, I have only had a couple of necklaces taken by maids. A couple of big dogs and smaller barkers help.
The answer is not to stay away but to learn how to minimize your chances of falling prey.
Best wishes!

We definitetly let our guard down. trusted and felt safe. Just glad it was just stuff! Hate the idea of having to distrust everyone...even the security guard who are supposed to be providing you security! i just hope others can learn from our mistakes and be extra careful and don't believe everyone who tells you it is safe ;)

Trust has to be earned here - always!!!!

So me and my girlfriend have also decide to relocate the Punta cana along with our faithful 2 yr old Husky named Blue. We've already purchased plane tickets and due to arrive May 1rst.  I'm Dominican born with roots and culture although I lived most of my life in Miami Fl while my girlfriend is German, she speaks very well English and working on her Spanish.  We are currently living in Germany. Kat I's great to see that we are not the only ones that are making a jump to the east coast. As you say i think my girlfirend will particularly enjoy it because it's a mix of influences not just strictly Dominican. Will help with the culture shock heading her way ☺. We plan on rentin an place hopefully in Cocotal gulf residences as it seems like the safest, best situated and convinient as it has lush of green areas for our dog. WE plan on touring the entire country and it's coasts some recomendación's will be great!  Great forum I'm happy I found this place!