Tips and hints to move to Da Nang from Michigan

Hello- I will be moving to Da Nang from Traverse City, MI in December 2016. I have been a licensed Realtor in MI for 13 years, am a US licensed pharmacy technician and have been a High school chemistry and physics teacher for 8 years in the past. I will take TEFL courses to teach English in Da Nang. Can anyone give me feedback on the job market there for any of my qualifications?  Any helpful hints to make my move there easier? I want to live in the Mỹ An area....
Randy

Wear a shirt to your interviews.   :)

Haha. Thanks. What does the job market look like there? Any special licensing I need there to be a pharmacy tech there or a Realtor in VN? I have all of these qualifications here in Michigan.

I have some insight into the pharmacy situation as my first landlady owned a few,  I taught a private class of doctors who explained it to me, and my wife had a distant relative who worked in one.  There is no requirement in Vietnam for a licensed pharmacist to be present at all times.  He must simply be nominally in charge.  Physicians are also allowed to fill that role and several do, such as my landlady's husband.  The actual manning of the pharmacies seems to be done principally by relatively young women who are grossly underpaid.  Regardless of training I don't see any future for a foreigner there.

I suppose that there could be a role in real estate for a foreigner who specialized in selling to Westerners, but consider that first you would have to obtain listings from locals, and second that you would have to deal with local authorities for such things as recording deeds, etc.  Again regardless of whether a foreigner could legally hold such a position, it would be impossible to function without a high level of fluency in Vietnamese.

There may be others but I see IT, things like network management and custom software, and high end restaurant ownership as maybe two of the few areas where foreigners can succeed independently in Vietnam.  Of course I am excluding management employees of multinational corporations from that statement.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services not allowed on the forum