Good doctor in Sihkounville

Hi all,
I am about to move to Sihkounville permanently but have heard a lot of bad stories about the health system in Cambodia. Unfortunately the cost of expat health insurance for Australians is outrageous ($3000 USD a year). So my question is does anyone know of a good (preferably westerner) doctor around that area?

Not many good doctors in Sihanoukville. The best is to go to CT Clinic where you will find doctors from other Asian countries (not westerner though, it doesn't seem to exist here). CT clinic has been completely renewed and is very clean. All Westerners go there; they pay double price compared with Cambodians but it's less expensive than in our countries.

Thanks for the advice.. Im sure most tuk tuk drivers know where to find it

Agreed on CT clinic. According to my doctor friend not good, but better than everything else.

For health insurance, you can ususally lower the cost when you increase the deductibles, and accumulate no-claims discount. Then pay all medical bills yourself, and only keep the insurance for worst-case scenarios.

Medical bills here are usually very affordable (just avoid rip-offs such as isos and similar places).

ok thanks. But what is an isos?

International SOS Clinic in Phnom Penh (isos). Initial consultation fee $100. They don't have bad doctors, it's just massively overpriced...

I don't know about doctors. but if you are Australian, you can get travel insurance from Woolworths Everyday card for $331 AU for 6 months

C.T clinic is good but probably the the most expensive. International hospital has a variety of foreign doctors working there, are easier communicate with. and seem very capable. I had one physical examination there - about 20 mins for $20 dollars. I think probably cheaper than C.T but maybe not by much. The bonus there is that oat of the doctors there speak English.

Hi

I have been also looking at costs as we are considering moving to Cambodia in the next 18 months
you can get top travel insurance for 365 days thru INSURE AND GO online for approx. $600.00 Aussie we are also from Brissy hope this reduces your costs abit.

In Cambodia we have real good doctors they take care about the health your WALLET very good, as for you NO.
They use advantage of your situation.
If you got nothing major please fly back to Oz mate and get real care there .
If your in need of first aid I might say you're in the balance.
My answer to your question are there any good doctors in sihanook -or Cambodia -? NO!
An other option go Thailand.

Actually I was waiting for a threat like this about the health care and the people who care it out.
Your in a real danger zone if something seriously happens to you. I give this as a free warning ⚠ to all foreigners living in Cambodia.

Yours sincerely.

expatroel wrote:

My answer to your question are there any good doctors in sihanook -or Cambodia -? NO!
An other option go Thailand.

I just happened to see this thread, so sorry for a late reaction.

Expatroel, your "advise" would have been correct in the past, but not anymore.
PP has the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital, which is a subsidiary of the famous Bangkok Hospital group in Thailand. They have excellent international doctors, excellent medical equipment (CT scan, MRI scan, hemodialysis and more) and they even have an air emergency medical service (helicopter).

Then there is the newest development, a Japanese hospital, also in PP. Sunrise Japan Hospital, since 2016. Smaller then the Royal PP hospital but with Japanese doctors, equipment and treatments.

So there is adequate medical service available in Cambodia, be it in PP.

Sihanoukville has a couple of polyclinics with foreign doctors, mentioned is already International Clinic with a Russian doctor, CT Clinic which has the name to be overpricing foreigners, plus there is a government referral hospital, good enough for a broken leg but for more heavy treatments I would recommend the two hospitals in PP, as mentioned above.