Teaching English in HCMC

Hello fellow foreigners.  My name is Michael.  I came to HCMC tjree months ago after a year of debating whether to leave the states or not.  It's so strange, I was so terrified about leaving the U.S.  I did not know REALLY what to expect
My brother had been teaching in Hanoi a year and a half previous and would not stop telling me how wonderful Vietnam was.  How friendly the people are.  How goos the food and coffee is.  So I started searching aeound and i received a job offer from the Americam academy(AMA).  The day after i arrived I totally dug the city
  All the hustling and bustling, the food, the kindness
  This was also the beginning of my teaxhimg career to a certain degree and I loved my job.  I loved teaching english to all ages equally, children to adults....but this story takes a very unlucky, or I would say very shi#&!  turn.   I worked at this center for three months and committed myself to showing up everyday on time, and taking advice to perform, or try to, exceptionally.  I soon was private tutoring a principal at the center twice a week(pretty positive I was the only teacher doing that), I was teaching ESL to kids and teens, doing IELT practice for university students, professionals, and adults who just wanted to improve their english.  I was also teaching two english classes a week  to 7-12 year olds.  I was always willing to come in if someone decided to take the day off or juat flaked out.  I was averaging about 34 hours a week.  When the time came to renew my tourist visa, I told my bossI would do it on my day off so I could make it back to work on friday evening.  I asked her for a letter because the only advice I got was from my brother, he works here at a private university, was to get a letter from my school and take my passport.  That is how he has been renewing at his various jobs in Asia.  He has worked in China, South Korea, Hanoi, and now here in HCMC.  When I got to the border the official looked at the letter like what the hell is this?  He then said the words Phenom pen, which I figured I had to go to Phenom Pen to take care of this.  I got to Phenom Pen late.  I got up early the next morning, went to the visa office, and th dude working there explained that the letter was not approved by the government.  He called my director and he said she said she would get a hold of me.  She never did.  So the next day my brother came to Cambodia to try and help me get the hell out of there.  He couldn't figure out what to do, and he is very well travelled.  So he left...I was stuck.  I was asking around for three days, visa extension.  Nobody had any answers for me.  Finally a foreigner gave me the number of a woman who worked for the Japanese embassy? She told me about a place by the river and I went, they could obly give me a one month single entry but thank god!  It was ready the next morning.  Anyway, I got back to HCMC the next evening and informed my dirextor I would be there in the morning
  So I het to the school, she says it's nobody's fault, but the schedule is made for this week so take a few days off.   The next day my brother sends an email to my director telling them they are incompetent, and he threatens to sue the school and all this other b.s.  As soon as he tells me he sent this email I email the director saying I had no knowledge of my brother sending this email and that I didn't know what he was thinking, and that it was also very disrespectful.  The next day she sends me an email saying I am fired.  I go into the office and she says it is solely because of my brother's email.  This happens to be on payday by the way.  So my funal check comes out to being 270,000 dong because I was getting 116 U.S. a month taken out of my check for the plane ticket over.  So they took out the remaining 800 all at once. I also was advanced 250 dollars for the Cambodian trip, and I was renting a scooter from my director, so another 50 was taken out for that.  So i am shaken up and on my bike leaving, and the director(this was the academic director, a woman) comes running out crying.  She says, wait come back inside.  So I am in the lobby, she is crying, and she says will you work today.  I say of course.  She says,  ok I am going to go back and talk to Mr. Cuong(The director, director) and see if we can get you working.  She comes back in the lobby and says Mr. Cuong will not hire you back because he feels he will be giving into your brother's demands.  O.k.,  I know that was long, but this being my first time teaching in a foreign country, do I have any rights here.  I am seriously homeless now because I received no money for my final check and was fired because of an email I had no idea that was written.  When I found out it was written I let them no immediately that it was no reflection of my feelings towards the school or staff.  I was also up for a 2.50 cent raise in March so I obviously had pisitive performance observations.  Something seems seriously wrong about this whole situation.  I am bimeless for the first time in my life, and in a third world country.

AMA are notorious for stealing teachers salaries. A simple Google search would have told you that, as it would have told you about visa requirements, realities and needing to go to PP.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please avoid vulgar language - it never helped
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

This is my first time teaching overseas and that was my brothers advice who has taught overseas fot 8 years. I dont need negative replies.  His school gives him a letter to give to the officials at the border.   So I did the same.  I have never had a passport renewal before.  I have never left the U.S. before.   I thought it would be very easy also.  I did figure out my school was shady and clearly stated that in my post so I did not need that info. from you either.  So your reply was unnecessary and therefore moronic.  Why even reply with a negative statement.  ***

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate content

Thanks for the positive post.

I don't need negative responses, this is my first time teaching overseas and I need advice.  If you know how to extend a visa, then more power to you.  I was told to go to Cambodia with a letter from my school.

Firstly, I didn't read your post, but seeing you have asked the question about extensions I can give you some info.The law changes in Viet Nam like the wind and each province is different. You used to be able to extend two times, but last month they were saying only once. The best thing is to find a reputable agent, yes it costs more but some are better than others. Maybe ask the other teachers at your school what they do.

Why are you homeless ? your brother is here .
All I can say is , next time do your homework . If you don't have a work contract and a working visa , you have no leg to stand on. , because obviously you were working illegally . Even if you were legit , the fact is , you owed them money and they reclaimed it , fairly or unfairly
Secondly , there are no unfair dismissal laws here , they can do what they want . Your brother sounds like a right Douche , sticking his nose where it's not wanted , and ultimately puting you in this situation , and not housing you if in fact you are homeless .Or for that matter , giving you some money to tide you over .Im intrigued as to how he got the email address in the first place

I did have a contract.  I do not believe they had a substantial reason to fire me.  I was due for a 2.50 cent raise in March.

The question is , do you have a work permit , because if you don't , 10,000 contracts won't do anything.
I'll tell you again . This is Vietnam , they can do whatever they want .
Also. , why didn't you just renew your visa in Hcmc ? I just renewed mine for the fourth time
Whoever told you to go to Cambodia with a letter from your school is a complete Moron . The only thing you need to take is a letter of invitation from the immigration dept , not some letter from your school that means absolutely jack shit

So , it is obvious you don't have a work permit . Live and learn mate . Do your homework next time

Mate, I hope you sorted out your brother! Way overstepped eh mark & wasn't helpful when you needed it. Hire a travel agent next time to do your visas...

michaelsolloway1077 wrote:

I do not believe they had a substantial reason to fire me.

:/

michaelsolloway1077 wrote:

I was due for a 2.50 cent raise in March.

That's more than enough to justify terminating a contract here.  The visa issues, the email and the fact that you had earned enough for them to recoup their money are individually enough as well.  Together, they created a maelstrom in between the manager's ears that could only be tamed by firing you.  Most owners and their underlings operate under the premise that anything they deem "just cause" is "just cause", just 'cause they're Vietnamese and you're not and they wouldn't get much argument from any Vietnamese national, be they 6 or 60.  The only exception being a spouse or family member that stands to lose something in the matter and even then you would be the one to blame in their minds, regardless of the reason, though they would smile while verbally castrating you...if you were present.

Chalk it up to experience and move forward, but don't forget, because it may very well happen again.

Compass would be my next stop, if i were you.  That's assuming that you went through the TEFL International course that they administer and that you're on good terms with them.  It would be a lateral move, in my opinion, but lateral is better than down/out.