Environmental protection in the Philippines

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in the Philippines?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in the Philippines.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

I think people are concern about the environment but not enough to act on it through implementation because it is easier to complain about things rather than act on it.

Did you pick this topic out of a hat or something? Have you ever even been to the Philippines? Do you know absolutely anything about the place!??

The topic was started by kenjee, a forum moderator, on this and other country forums to get information, comments etc from members living in those countries.

Environmental protection is a very topical subject.

You are, speaking of the Philippines correct? Where burning your trash in the backyard is still practiced daily? Or urinating anywhere you want is ok also? Or running your car that smokes so bad it blocks out the sun it also a common occurrence, this is the same place, right?

People in the Philippines are concerned about the environment but not enough to pay for it.

Basically it comes down to paying for the environment or paying for food on the table that night, or a Dr for their family, or a education for their children so they do not starve to death in the future.

If I was living in poverty then I would not give a rats about the environment.  Especially when I see so many first world countries consuming more and in many cases people spending more in one day on [b]luxury items [/b]than people make here in one month.

Even truer when it is aided and abetted by the most corrupt government in SE Asia

stumpy wrote:

The topic was started by kenjee, a forum moderator, on this and other country forums to get information, comments etc from members living in those countries.

Environmental protection is a very topical subject.

Yes I know who it was started by and my comment was directed at him. The Philippines has absolutely no concept of "Environmental protection" at all. However topical it may be.

I think that sums it up exactly.
Life for many people here is such a struggle. Environmental concerns, are of no interest.

Filipinos are totally unconcerned with the environment - they litter (schools don't teach kids to dump their litter in a can) they pollute  with open sewers, dirty cars and bikes , they cook on wood - their electric if made using coal -  I would guess they are among the worst in the world

I beg to differ. Environmental protection may not be the priority of Filipinos but it is wrong to say that Filipinos have no concept of environmental protection. Like I said, what lacks is the implementation.

i think all who live here know there is no enviremental consiousnes in The Philippines , but if i'm not wrong that was not the question.
so; we are looking to buy a plot off land to build a house on and wen i build it the roof as well as the walls will be heavely insulated this will enable us to save on electricity as the ac will not consume a lot of it .
as far as the garbige is conssurned the plastic we separate from the rest and give it to a kid so he can sel it an make a few peso on it , tin cans to we separate aluminum from iron cans and the go the same way as the plastics .
all that can rot away is dumped in a deep pit once we live on owwer own property i will install a pipe sistem to collect the methaan gas from this rotting prosses and use it to supply the kitchen with a free source of gas for cooking .
the money saved on all this we will save so we can use it later to install solar panels and a windmill if i see we soold have overproduction of electricity maibe it woold be a good idea to produce hidrogen gas with it , for witch there are many ways of using this gas
this will be my modest contribution on working on making  the  invironment a bit less polluted
am not a dreamer (or a tree huger) i know all this can be done the extra costs of building repay them selves quit fast anny one who knows how to calculate knows this hahahaha
greets Dirk

I asked the city to collect my garbage every time I go to pay my taxes . My business pays 1000 pesos every quarter for weekly trash collection.  After 11 years no garbageman has ever stopped by, but I keep asking.

There seams to be solar farms on several Islands and wind turbines on the coast. and sorting of trash
for recycling. but I dont get out much so I don't know about every where.

There is no excuse  for the pollution ,   It is not hard to  make buses, jeepneys, etc go to a green fuel such as  methonol or LP .   All their Gpvt vehicles should be green.  When u see the way the world is changing due to pollution there is no excuse.  Such countries can no longer cry poor as and excuse to use alternate energy.   Any Foreign aid to these countries should be tied to cutting the smog.   There is enough wind, waves, and solar in the Philippines to provide for most of the Country.  Cut the Elected Officials from robbing the People and there would be money for this type thing.

How many cars/busses run on methenol in the US/Europe???

then need a leader in the Pinas to take control and install tough pollution standards, will that happen,  history shows NOT.

The trouble is. Joe average Jeepney owner doesnt have the money to convert his vehicle. he's struggling to keep it running now. Even if he did convert it, he'd have to pass on the costs to Mr and Mrs Joe Blow from the the squatters area and they cant afford that.  Maybe if the govt subsidised it, it could happen. But that money has already been looted. So its a vicious circle.

Truer words never were spoken, until the Philippines can rid themselves of the overly corrupt politicians, the country does not stand a chance. After they are caught their name is on the news and in the newspapers for awhile then slowly sink into obscurity. They never pay for their crimes.

what's the topic here??? invironment or corruption ???

:lol:

You need to read both messages, then it becomes clear

I believe that too. An exemplary leader of the country could make a huge difference. I think aside form the environmental problem, every sector or aspect of the country has unfinished businesses that has been started. In short, there is nothing concretely good only mediocre. But change or make something better and everything will follow through piece by piece though it make take a long time. It's too bad that the Philippines has the resources but it is not properly utilized and yet we manage to contribute to environmental destruction due to our careless ways.

I think all countries deem environmental protection as important. But the truth of the matter is, environmental protection costs money. Most first world western countries have the funds to initiate and sustain environmental protection programs. However, the Philippines, being a poor country, does not have the money. It also does not have international political clout. What can it do when a superpower's submarine or aircraft carrier destroys its reefs, or decide to build man-made islands on its seas and over-fish, or dump waste water on Philippine seas? Let's face it. Money, power and influence, which the Philippines has very little, count.

First world countries also cannot impose on developing nations to limit pollution and other environment protection measures. In the first place, many first world countries got to where they were through an industrial revolution which came at a great cost to the environment. It would sound unfair for the developing country for their industrialization to cost more. Also, if a first world country wants a third world to go green, then it has to give financial support, as well as initiate and actively manage a green initiative program. 

The situation is like a father, who had been enjoying smoking for years, who recently had no choice but to stop as he developed an illness from smoking, telling his smoker son to quit smoking. The son might say, "Look who's talking! I'll stop when I get there."  For the dad to have his son eventually quit smoking, he would have to pay for an effective intervention program and devote time helping out. He cannot just throw money at the son, and expect him to initiate intervention. The son might use the money for something else (as some politicians and government officials have).

There have been local community and nationwide initiatives and green awareness campaigns in the Philippines. But these fizzle out.

I think what would be effective is initiatives on an individual level.  How do I commit to the environment in my daily life? Save electricity (inverter appliances, low wattage LED bulbs, turn off lights and unplug appliances when not in use, etc.). Save water (water efficient toilets and washing machines, use a cup when brushing teeth, re-use "dirty" shower water for flushing toilets, etc.). Sort garbage. Reuse containers, paper and plastic bags. Do not buy the latest new gadget when the current one still works fine. Got myself a small low mileage car instead of a gas guzzler. Prepare just enough food. Clean surroundings. Teach the kids how to help in protecting the environment.

Some of filipinos are giving importance in nature i am from bantayan island waste management is a big challenge to keep natures alive. There are some foreign people helping us for shelter, livelihood, specially they promote green nature which i my self very thankful for thier help. In this forum we can voice out and let our felow brother and sister to treasure our mother nature.

I worked as a multi-media environmental compliance inspector in USA. I inspected all areas of environmental issues I.e. Water, air, solid waste, hazardous waste etc....

I currently live in Philippines. Environmental concerns here are not a big concern nor address like they need to be. People are more concern here trying to make a living. A lot poverty here and lack information on many issues.

Pollution here is off charts. Air, water, waste etc..
People burn trash here my friend. So, it just the way it is here. Change is really slow in forth coming here.

People here say environmental concern are not address because Philippines is a poor country. Not true. It's not poor. The problem is wrong people have the money. And want let go of it!

Rich have a death grip on country. If rich wanted a change to benefit them then it would change. For them only not the people or country.

Golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.

If rich country give money to Philippines and many of them do. The money stay with rich not needs of county. Rich Filipinos and there are many need to start helping the poor and environmental issues. Many want because it does not benefit them.

If Duterte becomes president you can say good bye to anymore solar.