Moving back to US

Hi, I need to find a shipping company to move back to the US.  I will need a 20 foot container to ship back household goods.  I was told by one shipper that they must pack and inventory everything.  My quote was around $12,000.  My stuff isn't worth that much!  I only paid $4,000 to move here from the US.  I want to pack my stuff myself and send it the cheapest way.  Has anyone had any experience doing this?  I live in Guayaquil and need to get my stuff to the SE US- Charleston, Savannah, or Miami.  Any help or tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Mikie

What was your status here in Ecuador, and how did you get your stuff in, I mean: "menaje de casa", diplomatic channels? What is your stuff: furniture, home electronics etc...? While 12K quote seems excessive, you should expect a higher outbound price, same as with airtickets: MIA-UIO-MIA is always cheaper then UIO-MIA-UIO. Anyway, after receiving your response, I'll try to get you a quote next week.

I am here on a cultural visa.  I have been a volunteer teacher here in Guayaquil.  I have a small household- 1 king bed, bedside table, sofa, chair, coffee table,small entertainment center, tv, and a few small side tables & a lamp.  The rest is boxes of dishes, kitchen stuff, knick knacks and some framed pictures.  I have about 10 boxes of teaching stuff- books and science stuff.
Moving here was pretty easy.  The company dropped off a shipping container to our house.  We loaded it ourselves- taking care to list EVERYTHING on the Inventory.  We sent this to DC to the Ecuadorian Consulate for stamps.  No problem.  Our stuff cleared at Puerto Maritimo and was delivered to our rental house.  All for a little over $4,000.
We hope to return to Ecuador after a few years in the US.  Although I doubt we will live in Guayaquil- more like the Cuenca area.  My Mom is not in good health and I need to be with her.  We are looking, too, at just storing our stuff in a secure place (if we can find one).
Thanks so much for your help.