Environmental protection in Barbados

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Barbados?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Barbados.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Kenjee wrote:

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Barbados?

Yes, most people including the government realize that climate change is a very big issue here. It is a small island and relatively flat, so keeping the sea back is a challenging issue. Also, there is an ongoing drought, which is of a big concern. Recently, in Paris the PM of Barbados was the rotational president of CARICOM, and he made passionate arguments about the effect of climate change on Small Developing States.

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

As in most countries, even though there is a discussion about climate change, there are various arguments to what the solution should be. There is at least one NGO here that the has been reaching out to the schools and population, regarding, recycling, water security, organic farming, saving electricity, and waste management. The government has at least one recycling center, but no pick up. Recyclables are pulled out of the trash on the back end. There are at least two private collectors of recyclables, but pickup is limited. One of those haulers recently instituted his own program in the city, where he set up bins and set about to teach the selected area about separation of trash. There are also numerous hotels, condos,businesses and schools that recycle. Also, there are neighborhood programs for recycling. The issue continues to be to get everyone to separate trash. Green Business Barbados is a program designed to get businesses to go green, and there seems to be a number of them. I have seen some factories and plants with their roofs covered with solar panels. Numerous groups plan island clean ups during the year. There is another group that is interested in a gasification plant, where trash is burned including plastics and cfl bulbs,  but not much is known, other than that most of these kinds of businesses around the world have failed after a number of years. Transportation is both public and private, and there is currently a push to get them under one board, to which they all answer. There is always a healthy ridership.

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

I walk, take public transportation or ride my bike. I consciously conserve water, and electricity. I buy products that do not harm the environment, and I volunteer with an environmental NGO. Basically, I limit my carbon footprint.

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Barbados.

There are numerous initiatives for cleanup, installing sustainable power systems, recycling, sea turtle rescue, water conservation and planting trees. The number of electric cars seems to be on the rise. Barbados is changing and it is a good thing.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee