Racism

Do you feel racism in your country? Is it complicated to integrate yoursleft with local people or are you used to it?

I really like London because the city is a lot of people from everywhere, and everybody seems to be integrated. I don't feel racism here. Just at work we've got a small team of 12 people ... and 5 nationalities :)

In Japan you are reminded of your 'foreigness' everyday by people staring at you and sometimes exclaiming 'foreigner'!  Some expats have told me they got used to it but it really annoys me. 

Some businesses also openly exclude foreigners from using their services/premises.  Example are, some hot spas, bars etc.

People have also gasped in surprise when my (Japanese) husband introduces me as his wife.  Mixed marriages are not so common here, although living in one of the major cities mixed couples are not rare.

I heard about these problems in Japan when I tried to get that job in Japan (the director of the company who was European told me he had to recruit people who are talking in is name, because Japanese don't like to talk to non Japanese people ... and he felt so excluded, I mean the pressure is so high that he had to go back to his home country 3 times a year ... one month each time!). Do you think the situation is changing little by little or not?

From what I've read in wikipedia, "expatriates in Saudi Arabia are required to live in segregated compounds" ... not really nice :/

I just wrote about this on my blog the other day.

I don't expereince racism personally here in Austria, but I do think that sadly, racism is very much alive. It applies to religions too - I've heard tell that it would still raise eyebrows if husband were to tell certain folks he's married a Jewish girl. I have been meeting a few Muslims too, and they tell me it can be quite hard for them. Multiculturalism comes slowly to where we live, "hinter dem bergen" - behind the mountains.

well dont know if you all are aware of what the KKK is the Klu Klux Klan. The KKK is the USA's association that was been active since 1870's(and have been killing blacks since then as well and they still kill them today) ...they hate blacks and refer to them as "Niggers", umm considering I live aproximately ohh an hour away from Zinc, Arkansas....which is where the KKK capital is, I know their is much rascism where im from. The KKK adopts highways and they clean the highways theyve adopted up in broad daylight wearing they clansmen hoods and robes. I suppose that this area of the USA is one of the most rascists areas.... Ironically, the truth is the blacks in my town are all ....very civilized ....not what you would see in a rap music video and the majority of the whites in branson that live in trailer parks shacks that have spent their entire lives screwing up even more by dwelling in hardcore alchoholism or methampetamine addiction...well these people are the real "niggers" and they are simply white trash. I will admit if I was too walk through a very "black" town such as memphis tennessee which is an highly black city, I would receive rascism from blacks because I'm white. Who knows, I know im not rascists and would never call a black person a nigger..... No i'll call a crappy white person just the same as I would a crappy black person.... Trash, besides one thing ive awlays thought about rascism that was odd was.....like the person your attacking had any part in choosing the color of their skin...ohh well, you'd really have to see how people around here live I suppose to understand how they can be rascists and just how the hell they got so out of wack.... The place I am from/fixing to leave is a very unique place I'd say in a very bad way, although there is some good.

I will avoid writing a long post, so this will be kind of an introduction, beware! ;)
Being Mixed, I am never at my place, so to speak. Too Black in Europe, too White in Africa. Sometimes I wonder if I became a Zebra overnight. Where is my place?
I lived in Portugal when I was about 10/11 yo, in the 1990s. It was the skinheads wave moment back there and I was so afraid of even going to school cause I had to go alone...
Back in Angola, a few years ago, I was called "White" in the street. I was already 20, but I was in shock. I have been used to being called "Black" and defend myself, saying that the colour of my skin does not sum up who I am. I could as well say the same thing about the fact of being called "White".
I guess the main shock came from the fact it was coming from my Angolan fellows. I was supposed to be like them. If I am not accepted in my own country, where really is my place?

Your place is wherever you want it to be Jo Ann!

I believe racism is one of our world's major problems. Let's (peacefully) fight against it, hopefully the internet will help, and try to make people understand themselves even if the color their skin, their religion, origins, languages and history are different.

[Wherever you go, it will always be the same!!!]

Everybody is victim of racism. No matter which continent we can be, we'll always meet stupid behaviors towards us.
Jo Ann, I believe that the one who carries different culture, religion (...) is the most wonderful person. Our difference makes our luck (different colors-religion, travellers, expats). Take the best of all and make it your own!

I agree with Julien, adding that ignorance and indifference are a real issue!

I'm surprised to see that this forum opened and titled "Racism" has been visited 201 times. Only 6 messages have been left.

[Is there no one else?]
No one else has an opinion or experienced it??? A car burnt because the number plate is a foreigner one... Served last in a bar because you are not from here...etc

Racism isn't only between black and white or muslims and jews. It concerns everybody!!! Indifference doesnt help to stop it!

I experienced foreigner hate in my own country, the Neterlands, when I was living in Germany. My car (German license plates) has been scratched several times. When I did something not completey right in traffic, Dutch people would shout at me - until I opened the window and answered them in Dutch. Even the police showed this behavior once. I was stopped for not using my blinker. When I started talking Dutch to the officer, he asked me if I were Dutch, I showed my passport and he gave it back and said, I'm sorry sir, you can go..

The Dutch think of themselves they're so tolerant, yeah right!

Back in Angola, the biggest problem of all is that we have our "race" in our ID card... :| So, I am officially "mixed" (in Portuguese it's very negative as it's "mixta" and not "mestiça"). It's written. :mad:

I really don't understand why do they need to write your race: don't you have a picture on your ID? Shouldn't it be enough?
Since the world is developping itself: In few years,we might have elettronic ID giving the religion, the number of teeth... or ADN. :P
I really didn't know that in Angola, they were segreting people... Can I use the word "segregation"?
How would you call it?

The Dominican Republic also has a 'colour' category on its ID card: Negro, Indio or Blanco. Black, Indian or White. 'Indian' is the local euphemism for 'mixed', the mixture being Afro-European. If there is any actual Indian blood in the cocktail, it is negligible as the Spaniards wiped out the Taino Indians before the end of the 16th century.

As for racism, it is present. Darker skinned Dominicans and Haitian immigrants are on the receiving end. Other black foreigners, such as Africans and Afro-Americans, are assumed to be Haitian and given the same discriminatory treatment. They might be rounded up on suspicion of being illegal immigrants, or denied entry to nightclubs ('sorry, sir - private party') or even certain shops that consider themselves exclusive.

There is little in the way of 'political correctness'. People are simply defined by their appearance. 'Hey, whitey', 'Oy, gringo', 'Come here, morena/rubia'... but it's not just race. They'll just as easily call 'hey, fatty/shorty/baldy/skinny/longnose' without meaning any offence. As they see it, it's a statement of fact.

White foreigners are also subject to the usual sort of prejudices about outsiders. Any character quirks are attributed to one's foreigness rather than personal eccentricity. It is assumed we will do certain things or think in a certain way, and we're more likely to be ripped off. White Dominicans like my husband are often mistaken for foreigners and treated as such.

FTR - The population here is mostly mixed (75%?) with small minorities of black and white.

It's definitely segretation, Awa! It's written, not official, but definitely one.
Although some don't like to hear, there is a lot of racism going down in Angola. Among Whites, Blacks and Mixed. And among the Mixed themselves as there are the Mixed from White and Black parents, and the Mixed who are Mixed for the past 5 generations (like me).
For the entries at the disco, either you're too White or too Black.
Completely non-sense in a country that is Mixed by its culture (Portuguese and Bantu).

As you said it's a complete NON-SENSE.
I might not inform myself properly but I really didn't know that some countries like Angola or Dominican Republic are still segreting people on the paper.
I mean: not having it written on the paper doesn't change the mentalities, but it's a STEP!
Is there any other country? I use the singular because I really hope not.

I don't know if I would call it racism in my case, but being half-asian, I do feel very different in Germany.  In the US, I never really thought of myself as different from anybody else, but I think I am treated differently here.  When asked where I'm from, I'll answer, "I'm American" and either I get a confused look or sometimes people will say, "No, which COUNTRY in the Americas are you from?"  So, even though saying I'm an "Amerikanerin" is supposed to mean I'm from the US, I've started saying I'm a "US-Amerikanerin".  I also don't have any friends here. In the US I was at the center of my social circles and still have a lot of friends I keep in touch with, even after 4 years away.  Germans don't talk to me.  I always thought it was just because they felt that maybe I was uncomfortable speaking German to them (my husband says that I speak German fluently and with better grammar than most Germans - I just have a thick American accent), but after spending a day with a fellow (white) American, who spoke very very little German and after 9 months has a wide social network, I've changed my mind.  She introduced me to a German couple she was friends with and we started up a conversation on where foreigners could learn German (the couple had a Romanian friend moving to the area), the American excused herself and had to step away for a moment, I went on explaining the different options to the couple, and they stopped me mid-sentence and told me they didn't want to continue conversing, then they walked away.  On another occasion, I was walking through my neighborhood and was stopped by a woman who asked very rudely if I belonged here or not (it's a white middle to upper-middle class area).

Racism is present in Germany however.  There is of course, the neo-Nazis, but it also comes from regular Germans.  I've spoken to several people from Africa who have experienced it and I had a Japanese friend (she went back) who was chased and had apples thrown at her by a group of German teenagers (she couldn't understand what they were yelling at her).  I also met a Chinese guy in my German class who had lit firecrackers thrown at him.  Maybe it's just that I've only lived in what was East Germany, but the conversation with the couple took place in Bavaria, so I don't know.

You're right. A lot of Germans don't like certain foreigners. The strange thing, you wrote about it, is that obviously there are different 'classes' of foreigners.
I was in a shop once when I lived over there, when some people were talking about 'Ausländer' and someone I knew asked my opinion. I said, well, I'm a foreigner too.. Nooo! they all went, your're Dutch, that's no Ausländer. Strange...

Over here in Puerto Rico rasicm is virtually non-existent. They call me 'El Gringo' here in the neigborhood( although Gringo is the name for US-Americans) but that's no insult or racism. Like Chiri wrote, it's common in PR too to call somebody by her/his appearance. For instance the mother of one of my brothers in law is black, and she's called "Negra'. I don't even know here real name. :) My stepdaughter calls me 'El Gordillo' (the little fat man - maybe I should lose some weight? :P)

Meantime I was reading CLGinDe's post, I was eating something...
I can assure you that I have it now stucked into my stomach.

Where I'm living at the moment, people are really ignorant!
I get often tired of it: they do not believe that I'm French, they think that I'm lying on my nationality for political reason. One day I even got someone pissed off. incredible!
Some of them don't know what was Slavery in America ( I had to explain to them why do they have black "black" Americans).
When I go in a shop, some of them speak LOUDLY a-r-t-i-c-u-l-a-t-i-n-g every words and smiling at me like: I'm y-o-u-r friend and I understand your difficulties to understand my language.
I got pissed at the beginning, then I decided to answer as they do (much funnier): g-r-a-z-i-e
I spoke to an african guy who is here since !0-!5years and still receive the same treatment: old ladies scared as he get in a room... and much more!

If I had to teach to the people that in the world we are different but all humans (even only by my own presence in the room), then others were throwing me apples, I would get definitly exhausted or mad.
I admire all of you who are victim of a conscious racism.

I'll think twice next time: at the end, I'm much more lucky.

There are definitely okay foreigners and not-okay foreigners in Germany.  But I think it's the same in the US, the nationalities are just different.

I had a neighbor once ask where I was from, and once she heard I was American she sighed with relief and went on to make several very racist statements about Polish, Vietnamese and Turkish people.  WE'D JUST MET!  I think the situation is just exacerbated by the very high unemployment here in the east.

From what I read racism is more present in the 'neue Bunderländer' (former Eastern Germany). I never experienced it - I live in the West, close to Bremen. If it's worse in the east, it must be terrible! I got really fed up by the way Germans around where I lived were talking about non-white people.

I've never lived in the West, so I can't offer a comparison.  But yeah, sometimes it can be pretty bad here and I'll need to avoid people for a few days till I cheer up.  (Most of the folks I run into here don't cheer me up, so by avoiding them, I am avoiding the possibility of getting even more upset).

awa@lecce wrote:

I spoke to an african guy who is here since !0-!5years and still receive the same treatment: old ladies scared as he get in a room... and much more!

In America, Africans or African Americans often complain that people are afraid of them. It is funny but I would not mind to scare people a little bit. =(  I have noticed that some people, especially women, are really after me trying to teach me their norms of behavior. It looks like they consider me inferior, ignorant of their "superior" culture and try to instill in me right values.:mad: I still have no idea how to behave with people who say, "you are in America now", and some of them get so upset before I utter a word. Whenever I let people know that I am not happy with what they say, they make big eyes and label me a prude and a rebel. I am little bit scared of that attitude as I live in a small town. I have no idea whether I will be ever able to find job and most importantly keep it. :blink:

Etel, you shouldn't be down because of them.
Many people prefer to leave in a big city: to avoid this kind of behaviour. Are you strong enough to live in a big city without real quality of life? or strong enough to face this ignorance but having a certain quality of life (no stress, no pollution...)?
Even if racism is everywhere... there are some differences from one place to another. 
I understand that it's quite frustrating to arrive, to install yourself in a place, then to realise that you are hardly accepted by the others.
You should try anyway. It might take time but at least if it doesn't work, you can move away without any regrets. You did it once (or many times???) you can do it again.
In France, it's quite common. Many villages or small towns have difficulties to integrate within their community a foreigner or "colored" people. After years, they understand that we are all the same... "It's just those on TV who are not". lol :D:D
Put some humor as well: laugh always of it. At the end of the day or 2, I need to laugh of it and it helps a lot!

In the country where I come from, Indonesia, racism is very obvious. The native people (or malay-looking people) don't like the Chinese descendants for no reason (well there was this reason but that was back like hundred years ago when we were still occupied by the Dutch). Being a Chinese descendant and a Christian in a pre-dominant Muslim people is a serious problem. We had this huge riot in May 1998 where people burn and rape Chinese people in our capital Jakarta. It was such a horrible time.

The funny thing is that they (because of that racism I never really consider myself as one of them since they hate us - the Chinese descendants) worship white people. Literally! Perhaps that is a part of Indonesian subconsciousness being slaves to the Dutch back then...they are sooo nice to white people and I am just sick of this. Since I was working as a journalist in an english newspaper everytime I went to an embassy and met the officer (Indonesian) I was always answered with harsh tones and sour faces but when it cames to my editor (who was a white guy) the officer was all smiles and all licking asses and stuff...if u know what I mean.

I never miss that country...honestly

Yes, I feel flipper's comments abt your own pple idolising pple of other races, which really cheeses me off.  No "race" is superior, we're all equal. I knew of some chinese mums here in Australia (yeah I'm S'porean) who are very unfriendly towards chinese mums and take care to fraternize only with whites.  How low is that.  They may be trying to integrate, but that's no way to do it. 

I believe there will always be racism wherever we go, it's a matter of degree and also personal sensitivty.  If you don't let it bug you, it never will.  I have aussie friends who are fantastic and asian mums as well.  The asian mums live very happily in AU and socialize like crazy and are having a ball.  They once told me they didn't need them (whites) to make their day.  Cool huh. The 2 groups don't really mix, sadly.  Whites tend to gravitate towards their own and we, asians, to each other.

In fact, my little daughter and I almost got hit by an egg, which was thrown from a car zipping past.  Those were teenagers.  They must have been out looking for targets.

I think we just live best as we can, and ignore experiences like these.  Bigots and idiots like these are not worth getting upset over, and do not warrant any further attention right?

To life and being happy!

About chinese...it is kinda difficult thing to talk about cos when I am studying here in Denmark, the chinese students group together and they don't want to mix with the other international students...and perhaps that's also what happened in each country except China. Maybe that is also the reason why native Indonesians or other residents don't like them and maybe the Chinese group together to "protect" themselves...anyway it's chicken and egg question, which comes first nobody knows but I truly believe that when you are in other country pls try to mix and experience whatever the local has to offer :)

First of all, what exactly is racism? Racism is generally a term used to describe when an act of intentional violence or harassment is committed against a person who is of another origin, color, or social group for the purpose of unprovoced harassment.
I don't consider an opinion, a certain way of 'looking' at someone, or an observation of a particular culture of habits of people 'racism'. Fact is, we are all different and have different gabits depending on our culture and background. I often find that persons who come from cultures where they themselves have ease of racial judgements, often misinterpret every nuance of their surrounding as racism because they know this from their own reactions.

I live in Barcelona and have not experienced anything that is real racism against me. Many immigrants complain of racism but I think the majority is mainly a clash of opinions, or individual disagreements, or misconceptions.
However, I have often heard comments by local people against South Americans but from another perspectives, these comments are observations of what the locals see from these immigrants. It is the responsibility of the immigrants too, to not perpetuate that image! They often blame all crimes on immigrants, and this has some truth in it, even if I have witnessed crimes being committed by locals as well. I don't think someone giving a dirty look to another person, amounts to racism.  It can be so many other factors that caused the reaction. Catalans are quite proud and known to be in opposition against rulings from Madrid or the rest of Spain. Many Catalans want a separate country of Catalunya from the rest of Spain because of their personal experiences and histiry, so they tend to have separatist views. I have experienced some segregations now and then, although not often, against non-Catalans and against tourists. So what! It doesn't make it racist. One can view it as 'nationalistic' and what's wrong with that? If they are proud of their culture, good for them; I am proud of mine too. The way to deal with it is to just ignore it and seek the company of those that are like-minded.

Other than some comments here or there, they don't seem hugely racist in their acutal actions, but quite supportive of immigrants right for freedom. I don't think real and actual racial actions are common here from locals themselves although any country will have some. But there are segratative feeling from local people against 'all others' from more conservative views. This is reflected in many things, included that rates can get hiked for immigrants, or accommodation can be refused to immigrants (skin color having no bearing; can happen to Europeans too). But again, immigrants too bear responsibility to give the best possible impression in their host country. If they come and commit too many crimes, or act like drunken hoolihans over and over again in large numbers, what do they expect!? They will get branded. It's their own fault in my view.

I did some work in India for a few years, and in India I noticed enormous racism. Almost to KKK levels! In India there was tremendous racism against people of darker complexion, even heir own, or toward anyone "western". They also pressume that all countries containing 'white' people are all exactly like USA and US TV. Indian people would not, simply would not, integrate or mix with someone outside their own and express their contempt openly. Even Indian movies and media are filed with racial slurs that is fully permissible to publish.

Julien wrote:

I heard about these problems in Japan when I tried to get that job in Japan (the director of the company who was European told me he had to recruit people who are talking in is name, because Japanese don't like to talk to non Japanese people ... and he felt so excluded, I mean the pressure is so high that he had to go back to his home country 3 times a year ... one month each time!). Do you think the situation is changing little by little or not?

From what I've read in wikipedia, "expatriates in Saudi Arabia are required to live in segregated compounds" ... not really nice :/

I travel a lot and spend time abroad. Asian and Middleeastern nations are well-known for not really wanting anything to do with 'others'. They have a strong social order, and if you belong from another country, you simply end up at the bottom of the barrel and have to prove yourself much more than the general population. All nations have people with pre-conceived ideas of other cultures based on what tourists act like in their countries, and what television and movies teach them. In Asia it is very common to have a general view of western women as 'loose'. This of course because they see this in a lot of movies. It is difficult to eradicate this image.

In Saudi Arabia they are so nationalistic that even if you live your whole life there, you can never, ever become a citizen! You have to be born Arab and Arab only to be a citizen...
Nowhere in the world have I come across a broader acceptance of people from all corners of the world as Europe and the USA. Is there any wonder so many immigrants seek to move to these parts of the world?

Jo Ann wrote:

Back in Angola, a few years ago, I was called "White" in the street. I was already 20, but I was in shock. I have been used to being called "Black" and defend myself, saying that the colour of my skin does not sum up who I am. I could as well say the same thing about the fact of being called "White".
I guess the main shock came from the fact it was coming from my Angolan fellows. I was supposed to be like them. If I am not accepted in my own country, where really is my place?

LOL! You got to experience racism in assumptions that you are 'white' as well! Not that I think it is nice, but it should be an eye-opener that racism is an issue that can be a reality for all people and is not focused only to dark skinned people, but is equally committed against white people as well.

Anyway, your home is really where your heart is, don't you think? I've traveled too much since I was young and lived in so many continents, I too don't feel any particular place home either.  I've heard the same from other people who move about a lot.

Of all the places I have been to, probably Dubai was the most tolerant place. Probably because the Emiratis only make 10% of the population. The other 90% comes from all over the world. There is no racism, because there is not one single predominant race, colour or religion.
I have never been to any other place where you see such a diversity of people, religions, culture, fashion, habits. It was a real nice experience... Us, Westerners could learn something from that!

And of course -despite common misunderstandings in the West- I also found the arabic traditions to be VERY tolerant towards foreigners... Even in a modern megapolis like in Dubai, but anywhere in the Middle East.

p.

wow... :O

hehehehe

after many years that riot has gone :D

i was born and live in jakarta, but my grandpa grandma ancestor were from china.
that riot racism are very shocking at that moment.
i'm affraid out from house...
i have a couple friends and friends of my friends.. i dont know how to say it.
they got rape in their apartment.
some of them were burn alive in apartment.
some become crazy and suicide.
some were pregnant with the child their never want and commit suicide too.

indonesia chinese girl mostly are virgin, we have traditional culture from our ancestor that we must still virgin until meried. so.. that moment were very shocking.

some university college girl are rape inside the building college, and the security affraid to help those girls, and some of people who see it, join to rape.

i dont know how to say it. but until now the racism still exist in indonesia, but Bali is more no racism, cause most of Bali were foreigner and Bali people are more warm and kind.

but, how can i said.
even from all the badguy we can find a good guy.
so..
not all native people in indonesia were bad.. but most of.. maybe 60% 70% are bad.

i have a lot of story about that days.. but i'm affraid the religion and more causes are not good to talk about

:)

This thread is interesting.

I'm English, white, and living in northern Italy and I can't say I've experienced much racism. I know that some people here, including Albanians and North Africans say that they experience racism frequently, but I don't know exactly what they mean by that. I have to say that we live in a fairly provincial area and we have worked hard to fit in with our neighbours and colleagues. We think very hard before taking actions that are 'visible' to others, e.g. in the community, and often ask advice from trusted Italian neighbours before taking action that might be misconstrued. We also think hard about how others view the world around them and how they might perceive our actions. Foreigners everywhere have always been and I guess always will be subject to a certain amount of suspicious scrutiny on arrival, and in my experience you have to earn people's goodwill over a period of time. Despite what some people think, many people are able to see past a person's skin colour or their stumbling pronunciation of a new language. It just takes time and a bit of effort to show them you're worth knowing. :)

Louise, don't forget that when we come from a certain geographical area or have a typical look from that area, it's pretty difficult. Me, as a Mixed girl, people don't know where exactly I am from, but some days I look Arab, others I look Indian, and that changes when the people in front of you have prejudice against certain cultures.
Here in France, I never suffered from racism, and sometimes people think I am from the West Indies. It's always tough when you cannot be part of the majority (I've never been part of a majority anywhere I went !) and you are recognise as soon as you go through because of this difference.
Being Black, it takes a long time before people (with prejudice) forget about the skin matter :-(

Three weeks ago I would have said that Mexico is the most un-racist (is that a word) country I have ever visited. In the two+ years I have been here I have only had to endure two incidents: (1) a drive-by tomato-ketchup-sachet pelting (a lot more scary than it sounds); (2) a force-the-foreigner-to-eat-fried-grasshoppers incident (as distasteful event as it sounds), But it appears I have been the victim(?) of positive racism since day one.

My girlfriend and I regularly shop at COSTCO, she is Mexican. Instead of a handbag (purse) she uses a backpack. We have never been stopped when entering. However, four weeks ago my girlfriend went on her own - and was stopped and searched. She thought nothing of it, we went again, together, and nothing happened. But the incident nagged at the back of her mind so, she went the next day and was stopped and searched. A week later, as we entered, they stopped the Mexican in front of us, held him up until we were (they thought) out of earshot/eyesight and searched him.

We started to talk to friends and discovered that I, because of my foreignness, was treated differently wherever we went. Restaurants that we loved and recommended all came back with negative reports. Whereas we had received wonderful service, others (Mexicans) had been ignored. We put this to the test, taking our friends with us, and couldn't see what they were complaining about - the service was impeccable. Hell, it appeared that we had been sat in the non-smoking area and no-one had complained! What was our friends' problem? Their problem is that they are Mexican.

My girlfriend's problem with COSTCO is that she is Mexican. Whenever I am included into the equation every thing is wonderful. Mexicans are racist - racist about their own culture. We have spent the last three weeks looking carefully at adverts, spent the last three weeks listening carefully to what expressions people use, spent the last three weeks reviewing how I am treated and ow my girlfriend is treated (with or without me - to steal a U2 title).

Adverts tend to only use "white, blue-eyed" Mexicans. If you want to insult someone, call them "indian". If you want to get service, don't be Mexican.

Has this tainted my experience of Mexico? Yes, of course. I love Mexico, I love the people, they are so friendly. But is that friendliness because I am a foreigner? Of course I am in a no win situation. I can't hide the fact I'm foreign - the blond hair, blue eyes, really bad-at-Spanish gives it away. I can't move around the country without experiencing this "positive" discrimination. Does it make me angry? You bet! Mexico and Mexicans have so much to offer the world. Their country is beautiful, their history pre-dates Europe's, their optimism outshines the tired, jaded cynicism of the first world. I just wish they could see it, rather than turning on themselves.

But, I suppose, that is the way of racism. It makes you angry that people can't see the beauty in differences. In this case, though, it is made worse because it is racism directed towards themselves - it makes no sense. But does racism ever?

I am an African American from California living in Krasnodar, Russia.

I have not experienced racism here.  What I do get is lots of staring!!  Especially from children.  Sometimes I wonder if I have something in my nose, if my zipper is undone or if I am dressed inappropriately.  Then I remember "oh yeah, I'm black!".  I feel like an ambassador some days.  So I smile and wave and keep on with my daily chores.

Those who are brave enough to ask me where I am from end up being very pleasant to speak to.

There is racism in Hungary.
Mainly against local Gipsies though.
I guess you can call it racism, Hungarians don't think of Romas as Hungarians.
I, so far, didn't have any problems with them.
Hungarians claim that they are all kinds of bad things: Lazy, thieves,.....
I'm sure there are some like that. But I bet it equals the amount of Hungarians being that way. Or other people of other Nationalities.

LondonBound wrote:

Ironically, the truth is the blacks in my town are all ....very civilized ....not what you would see in a rap music video and the majority of the whites in branson that live in trailer parks shacks that have spent their entire lives screwing up even more by dwelling in hardcore alchoholism or methampetamine addiction...well these people are the real "niggers" and they are simply white trash.

Londonbound - you may not be racist but it appears as though you believe that things like rap music videos are some real indicator of the truth of how 'civilized' Black people are.  You using that word cililized I feel is condescending as well, as though you are an anthropologist studying a new unknown race.

Its funny and unfortunate that people never cite other positive hip hop videos (there are many consious rappers) or shows that portray a positive view of Black people.  No, those are treated as the real anomilies i.e the Cosby Show etc.  I know more Black lawyers than I do girls who want to shake their asses on a video. 

Your use of the n-word to describe the Whites were you live is just as disrespectful as using it against a Black person.  We all experience prejudice, and have our own.  Open your eyes you have them too.

Wanderlust, I was about to come and moderate the conversation when I saw the quote on your message. And then I realized it was from someone back in the day when I wasn't time of the EB team, almost 3 years ago and almost felt relief I didn't fail at my job ;-)
But I agree with all you have written on your response :-)

I come from darkest Yorkshire where racism is a problem.
I'm now in Indonesia where racism is inverse. I often hear a shout of 'bule' (that's pronounced boolay and means white guy) but the word has no racist overtone. It's an exclamation because there are so few bule here, but not intended to be anything other than that. I find people are very interested to meet and talk to the foreigner. Invitations to a house for a cup of tea are normal here.
people are seriously friendly.

racism is everywhere i think, but much more in the developed countries!!(thats my opinion)being a french major i had the opportunity of going to france for an academic year.man was i surprised. the french seem to accept we Africans than Asians. this fact was made known to me when i went to the students lounge to look up notices for a job offer and while i was complainig to the madame in charge about my difficulty with landing a job she made it plain i had more success with that than my Asian coleacgues.turned out she was right!!! We the Africans got jobs while our Asian coleagues were being turned away.i made it clear to her i didnt understand why this was so seeing they were "white" and she was like "NO" they are not! they are ""yellow skinned" can you dig that!
another incident, we were in the tram one mornin to school when other french school kids started calling my Asian friend i was with a certain name, they'v got this racist name for them. it was so embarassing!!!!!!!! the school teacher tried to no avail to hush them.suddenly, i felt so bad for my Asian friends, here i was, thinking i was gonna have racist problems but then they were rather having the worst of it. i'm not saying all french are racist. i made some really nice friends there. i guess it depends on where u're located. lyk Caen which is in the north,the people there keep to themselves, plus there are few blacks living there. the best way to overcome racism is let people know you 're not sorry for your colour and carry on being yourself.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR