Pensionado visa

Hello all....don't know where to start...my fiancee (Lamont) and I (Lori) want to retire to Boquete Panama and plan to visit in May 2016.  I am retired from the Army and he is a truck driver, retiring early.  We are both in our 50s so we are a long way from social security.  Our big concerns now is the cost of the actual move.  I have read a lot about the pensionado visa but still not clear on how long it takes to get it.  We also have many questions on what to ship and what to leave here.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori

Hi Lori,  :)

Welcome to https://www.expat.com!

I created a new topic as from your post on the Panama forum. Please do not hesitate to ask your questions here.

Best of luck,
Christine
Expat.com

Lori - there is a very recent thread here on the subject of what to bring - the consensus seems to be: your favorite pillow! IOW, not much. As for the Pensionado visa, assuming your military pension is sufficient to qualify, it takes a few months to get you documents in order from your home country before making the application, then 3 months or so after filing the application in Panama. You need to choose a lawyer, and the lawyer can advise you in greater detail. Meantime there is a ton of info on the internet setting out the dosumentation requirements.

A few weeks to get the temporary card and less than a year for the permanent card.
It is best to dispose of most of your stuff in the states and buy used or new in Panama. Shipping costs are expensive and unpredictable, even after ´so-called´ estimates.

Thank you.

Hello there, the pensionado visa can cost you and your partner about 2000.00 for the complete procedure, and it  take about three to five months. There is very good lawyer , her name is Carmen Arguelles, Cel. 507 66175465, Office 507 3150910.
Regards,

That's about $500 more than I paid, including an extra $150 for same-day service.

No need to ship anything start fresh.....do a garage sale keep the money buy new

Go to COMMUNITY and pull down to blogs on this page.

There is a ton of information on these blog sites to assist you with any questions as most of these bloggers have already completed the move and are now happily living here.
Don't bother with International Living or, as we say International Lying!

Good luck.

How long it takes to get a Pensionado Visa depends on many things.  Sunset Steve mentioned his attorney.  She has been highly recommended among expats for many years.  I first heard of her in 2000 so at least 16 years of recommendations. 
   Moving to Panama gives you an opportunity to simplify your life.  Bring only what you love or can't do without and buy what you need in Panama.  Maybe you have a place to leave some items in your home country to send for later.  But do visit several times during different times of the year to get a better idea of what it would be like day to day in Panama.