Being a Scotsman in the USA

Hey guys,

My name is Keith and I am currently considering leaving Scotland and heading for the states right now I'm thinking of going to seattle (this will be my first solo trip) what I'm wondering is what is it like being a Scottish man in America? (From any perspective) I'm asking this purely because I hope to make friends and cultivate some kind of life over in America!

we love your tape and we dont wear skirts and we have whiskey and you can always get a recipe for haggis on the internet.  :idontagree:

Scots do better than average in America and were a central group back to the revolution.  About 3.1% of the US is Scot.  What are your skills?  We need talented people.  I will say some brits are pretty uptight and anal so find our openess offputting. The guy that started google was born in moscow so you can move up here.

Seattle is in the cascade foothills and HQ for amazon, MS, much of Boeing and nintendo NA.  The climate is drizzily and chilly with a warm couple month summer, like the UK

I don't think Scottish people can be known for being uptight or anal well defiantly not in my case anyway, so you think a young Scottish guy will be fairy popular in the states then? Skills? I was actually hoping to find myself some new skills while I was in the states I've been working in the same field since I was 16 and change of pace would be awesome!

The worst that will happen is you move back to Scotland

My boss's boss is Scotish and is doing just fine. Heck, even a good ol' Corsican like me had it made out here. I'm sure you'll be fine. You just need to keep an open mind and embrace the fact that things are not like they are back home.

The key is finding what you want to do over here, have a professional project and find an employer who is willing and able to sponsor your work visa.

Thanks man I'll look in to a professional project for myself :) as soon as I figure out where to start that is

get your google on
http://scottishamerican.com/about-us/http://www.indeed.com/https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/edinburgh/

bonjour Keith,
I am a French woman who has lived in the US for the past 20 years and I never made a real friend there!
People are too busy chasing after money and they only talk to people whom they can take advantage of financially...Sad but true:(
I have been back and forth going to the US for 2-3 months lately and I always come back to Europe and after a while here, I am in a hurry to go back again in the US and try another state as I can not stand the misery spread all over Europe nowadays especially in my country nowadays where you have to beg to get a job paid minimum wage and the people are cold and distant:(
I would be delighted to give you some advice if you need some...I lived in New York, Florida, California (the longest) and recently Hawaii (no work there unless you are in the military or are asian)....and I just came back last week....going from tropical weather to cold rainy one in France:(
I already want to escape!!!!!!
I would like to try Seattle or Portland so we have something in common and I love Scotish men!
I met the famous Scottish actor Gerard Butler 3 times in 2011 in California while he was filming his surfer's movie....and took pictures with him and chatted with him;)
I have been to Scotland twice in summer for the fringe festival in Edinburgh and visited Glasgow as well...I love the people...and their lovely sexy accent;)
when do you plan on leaving? also, do you have a green card or work visa to stay longer than 3 months there? I do have my green card to work there legally...what is your plan for work there?
Lets keep in touch,
Cheers,
Nathalie

Hello, Keith,

I left Scotland as a teenager decades ago and came to the US by way of France, (vive la France!)  S. Africa and Canada. A more direct route for you would be via a good education and some sort of professional qualification, without which it might be difficult to find an employer willing to go through the immigration process with you. Alternatively, you could come into the States on a student visa or a temporary work visa. Failing that, it might be easier for you to go Canada first. We have a trade agreement with Canada which makes it a bit easier than it used to be to come into the US from there. If, for example, you held a managerial position, you could transfer, I think. Canada is very nice, too, though, and well-populated by Scots.

The West coast USA leans left politically, so if you're a typical Scot, this might be a good fit for you. The NW gets lots of rain, Seattle more so than Portland. Seattle is edgier, and the traffic can be a nightmare. Housing is expensive there. By comparison, Portland has a vibrant restaurant scene, lots of brew pubs if that is your thing, and not quite as much rain.

I agree with Nathalie's observation about making friends. It's not that Americans are unfriendly, just that they relate to one another differently than Europeans do.
I guess your decision would depend on your priorities. If a career is what you're looking for, Canada is a good place to live, too.
Good luck!

Caitie

Canadians are way more friendly and open than Americans....I lived in Montreal also...

I lived in Calgary, Alberta, for five years and loved it. The Canadians were very helpful and friendly and welcoming.
One of the main differences between Canada and the US is the health care system. Ours is a for-profit system, which means that treatment is readily available any time, but at high cost. Canada's single-payer system takes away the cost burden, but there are often quite long waiting periods for treatment, just like in the UK.
Caitie

Hi Keith,
I am an American and I live in the SF Bay Area!
I think you wil do very well over here!
Seattle is a great place and also very beautiful!
Scots are very popular here in the US!You should have no problem with finding friends and a life here!
Like anywhere else there are good and bad people!We Americans are not that bad!
Also if you get homesick,There are lots of Scottish/Highland games up and down the west coast!And the weather in Seattle is very much like the UK!
Best of luck!
Holly

We Americans definitely do not do Joie de vivre very well at allexcept for one place and that is New Orleans which has a growing tech scene, great food scene and just about ongoing partys