Moving to Crete in June

Hi will finally be moving to Crete This June to join my Fiancé and her family. Can anyone provide any advice on what to bring.  We will build out place together so I will not be bring any home stuff. I know jobs will be hard to come by but I will be able to live on my Military retirement.

I will be looking for any jobs no matter how small as long as I am with my new family.  I know I will get 90 days but I will report to the local offices and apply for an extension until we get married. Any advice will be welcomed as I am counting down the days.

Hi Abmegett,

You will get some hints by reading the following thread : Essentials to live in Greece

Hope it helps
Bhavna

Thanks I am so excited

It looks like I will postpone my move until the end of August. I am still looking forward to moving their and being with my new family. I am really missing the Greek hospitality and food.

Thank. I read the thread and found it to very helpful. Just need to start on the paper work for the marriage.

Bring a very strong will and lots of aspirin! It took me almost one year to get straightened out and I'm still not sure it's right but I am finished! Where to begin: I was told I had to leave the country for 24 hours after the first year so I went to Cyprus a small vacation. However, it's not true - you don't have to leave if you have the proper visa.

I keep going to the passport/visa office here in Heraklion only to find out 6 months later that I was in the wrong office. I will spare you all the details. When I finally found the right office, I was told EVERYTHING I has been told previously was not true; the papers I secured were not needed; I did not need a "special" visa - only a resident visa, etc. In other words, talk to people who can assist you before you go to any of the local visa/passport offices. Having said that, once I was finally directed to the proper office, everything ran smoothly, the people that worked there were knowledgeable and very, very helpful. Just be prepared for lots of red tape. If you are not Greek or possess any type of very special skill, if you don't speak Greek, you will probably not get a job here. The Greek economy being what it is makes it difficult for the Greek people to work much less foreigners. So come on over, enjoy the Greek hospitality, the beautiful scenery and history, and the friendliness and big hearts of the Greek people.

Thanks, I am going to Crete on the 18th to check what I actually need. Mt fiancée went and was told that I did not need all of the paperwork also. I just need to have a few translated by a lawyer and certified. Thanks for the information. I am starting to feel much better about the move. As for the job, I have enough from my military retirement and benefits that we can survive on, Plus she had a pretty good job. As long as we are happy and together we will ok.