Veiled Faces No More? WHAAAAAT?

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900005317 … rticle.htm

Sheikh Ahmed al-Ghamdi, outspoken head of the Mecca branch of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, also said there was nothing in Islam to prevent women from driving, despite the Saudi ban on the practice.

"There is a difference in interpretation of the (Koranic) verse... which leads some scholars to rule that the whole body must be covered ... However other scholars approve showing the face, hands and elbows. And some even okayed the hair," he said.

I loved this comment

Jamaal Khannufi
Dec 01, 2010 at 12:05
This is a wrong news, how can a muslim women show her face, hand and elbow in public ? its haram. By doing so, she shall be invoking the "devil/shaitan" in unrelated men. The saudi mutawa-commander must think about the effects on society and muslim people, because when saudi implements it lifts the ban, every islamic country shall follow the same, and there will be total chaos...

because when saudi implements it lifts the ban, every islamic country shall follow the same

Regardless to the credibility of the first statement, I'm not aware that any Muslim country other than KSA mandates full face cover, even head scarfs are optional in most except in Iran, and the're not really that strict about it.

Am I missing somthing? :unsure

Saudi does not mandate face covering?

Nelson17 wrote:

Saudi does not mandate face covering?

I'm referring to the rules that CPVPV are supposed to implement. As far as I know it is mandatory to cover the face too in KSA. This is based on my personal observations of Mutawa's asking women to cover their faces in malls and other places. Actually the comment of the second guy indicates that it is so. However, since all expats and some locals don't do it anyway it became normal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually it is not mandatory to cover faces in Saudia, but mandatory in Islam.

The Mutawa's are like advising them to do that for the sake of Islam, it's the same like they advising you not to smoke as it is bad for health; but they won't arrest you for smoking.

It's not 'mandatory' in Islam.  Muslims in other countries don't cover their faces, for the most part.  (Malaysia has the highest Muslim population in the world and what percentage cover?).

Well people always love to go for the easy options, its something like drinking being banned in all religions but everyone does it.

slyshooter wrote:

its something like drinking being banned in all religions but everyone does it.

Christians aren't banned from drinking--exemplified in the Bible by the miracle of  water into wine for the wedding party.  However, anything to excess is discouraged.

I see the makings of another argument here. :)

RedGoblin wrote:

An exchange of information doesn't make for an argument.

Forget the covering of faces - I'm ALL for the women driving part!

here is some NEWS that favors this argument

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40436673/ns … stn_africa

Alliecat wrote:
RedGoblin wrote:

An exchange of information doesn't make for an argument.

Agree.

slyshooter wrote:

Well people always love to go for the easy options, its something like drinking being banned in all religions but everyone does it.

As an true american, I have never imbibed.  Honest. :rolleyes:

CivEngr wrote:
slyshooter wrote:

As an true american, I have never imbibed.  Honest. :rolleyes:

I should have said "almost" or "most of them" but the point was not that.

What I was trying to say that people always try to find gaps for their own comfort.

Jamaal K. apparently needs to un-wash his brain.

RUH you are correct.  You know, seeing those hands not covered really does it for me.

not only Jamaal... many people here needs that... i realised that even i look at girl a bit more who is covered just to imagine how the things are inside... so i think, uncovered face is actually good... atleast people will just take one small look
and RUH, this is your first post and you were BANG ON!!

It's not mandatory, but my wife has been told to do that before. As well as other ladies sitting near us on a totally different day.

It's complete bullshit. At least now when they say that, I know what I can throw back in their faces. I wish there was an arabic article about this so I can print it out and carry it along.

Concerning driving. Honestly, I don't want them to drive because I know some people will still drive with their faces covered. And how the hell are you supposed to drive when your entire vision is a blind spot! That's just gonna do more harm than good. It will also increase traffic on the roads. And have you not seen how the guys act when there is a lady in a taxi? Imagine if it was just a lady by herself driving. I'd bet a good portion would stop her in the middle of the road for her number.

RUH wrote:

Jamaal K. apparently needs to un-wash his brain.

Welcome to the Forum RUH.
Would you like to expand on this line on your profile, please?

"Originally from USA. Been there, done that, NEVER going back! :)"

Hi all,

I like driving my car abroad, but here in Saudi, it's nice to have a driver... no stress for parking etc... And apart from this, I help my driver and indirectly his family to live ....Imagine the thousands of foreigners (Pakistani, Sudani, phillippini etc) returning home because they don't have work anymore!....!!!!this is haram!!!!!

Dont live in fantasies plzz :P King is back now after his surgery, now u'll expect a different statement from Police commissioner soon :p

The king rocks!  I'm glad he's okay :)

Sheikh Ahmed al-Ghamdi was fired and then reinstated after he broke ranks to say that there was nothing in Islamic tradition and law banning mixing. In next days Saudi newspapers ran front page pictures of King Abdullah and Crown Prince in a crowd of women with their faces bared, adding fuel to the growing fight over mixing in the kingdom. Sheikh Ahmed al-Ghamdi, also said " there was nothing in Islam to prevent women from driving, despite the Saudi ban on the practice. Islam orders a woman to cover her body to allow her to participate in social life, not to prevent her from doing so." Wise thought is it?

Who really cares?  It is the same old topic: will they cover, will they not? will they drive, will they not? The expatriates are here because of one reason (mainly): to make money and go home.  Let the Saudis take care of their s---

slyshooter wrote:

As this is not a religious forum, can we please stay clear of what is allowed and what is not allowed and in what religion?  Thank you!

slyshooter wrote:

Actually it is not mandatory to cover faces in Saudia, but mandatory in Islam.

The Mutawa's are like advising them to do that for the sake of Islam, it's the same like they advising you not to smoke as it is bad for health; but they won't arrest you for smoking.

Mandatory in which type of Islam?

PS:
Reminder again: This is NOT a religious forum!

Macdin wrote:

Who really cares?  It is the same old topic: will they cover, will they not? will they drive, will they not? The expatriates are here because of one reason (mainly): to make money and go home.  Let the Saudis take care of their s---

Do you live in Saudia???

Macdin wrote:

I agree with Macdin...

Macdin wrote:

this is the country law... whoever comes from anywhere to this country has to obey the law... each and every country has their own laws... the country even gives u the freedom to not to come if u dont like it

shahab.ali wrote:
Macdin wrote:

this is the country law... whoever comes from anywhere to this country has to obey the law... each and every country has their own laws... the country even gives u the freedom to not to come if u dont like it

As I like harmony, then my position would be to let live people without judgment, women of whole world which are good in what they live.If there is neither suffering nor abuse of power or nor violence, every woman has the right to choose the way she lives. There is some pain and injustice everywhere and all over the world. So it is just impossible to make majorities or to say what is better to do or not.

I always enjoy listening and reading to comments and valuing our differences. We have the right to have no same tastes or not to agree, but in the respect for each. It is an enrichment to exchange points of view and different ways of living.

So bad!:(

well, wat u saying is true and good for our self-thinking... but dont u see the world is still going on... if there were self made laws, to please themselves, things wudnt have been so peaceful...

if some section of the population has problems, all the people are open to come to a conclusion and sort it out...

shahab.ali wrote:

well, wat u saying is true and good for our self-thinking... but dont u see the world is still going on... if there were self made laws, to please themselves, things wudnt have been so peaceful...

if some section of the population has problems, all the people are open to come to a conclusion and sort it out...

I completely agree with you. But there are people more you push them to change more the opposite effect occurs. Saudi has changed significantly in the last years and I am very happy.

It is just necessary to say, that here situations may take more time than somewhere else to change. But I am confident that things are moving for  the good side... hopefully for the better.

Saudi Arabia is a very peaceful country and an ultra safe place to live. It has one of the lowest crime rate and provides enough protection to its residents. Why would you want to change it?

slyshooter wrote:

Saudi Arabia is a very peaceful country and an ultra safe place to live. It has one of the lowest crime rate and provides enough protection to its residents. Why would you want to change it?

so that ksa will be on par with the rest of the worlds nations?

It is quite better than the other nations.

being on par with other countries?? wat?? remember RECESSION!!!

if u cant beat them, join them...

as everybody else is in turmoil, y not lead them ;)