Motorbike license......coffee $$

Long ago I heard there was a DL office in HCM that one could get an A1/A2 license thus way. As I recall the story there was a mechanic shop nearby that had a connection. Anyone know which DL office in HCM that offers such a "Service", or the mechanic w/ the connection? I have searched past posts on this subject, and so far have not been able to find it.

Vietnamese motorbike license under 175cc looking at around $150us $300us for over 175cc these are regardless of what visa you have

@Iwonder, are these quotations from visa agents, or from the relevant government agency? I assume visa agents because I have never seen licenses quoted as costing so much before.
You can google "vietnam motorbike license cost", the first three I found were $10, 70.000 VND, and 500.000 VND.

I haven't applied for a license so I have no personal experience.
Can anyone else share the cost for their A1 license?

Did not catch my typo until now...sorry. But it should read "....A1/A2 license THIS way."
And this post is not in regards to getting a visa, but a drivers license (DL).

Yes I realize the subject is driver licenses!  I was hoping to hear how much other people have paid for an A1 driver's license. Visa agents and travel agencies may provide many services besides visas: business licenses, immigration, marriage, VEC, TRP, legal issues, etc. often for steep prices. My assumption is that @lwonder's quote is from such an agent.

I see.

A1 is relatively easy to get, and not too expensive either.

Whereas A2 and B1(Car) cost a lot more.

This is completely understandable.

I've got my A1/B2 Vietnamese license and it's valid for 5 years regardless of my visa status.

Should you be serious about getting the A1/A2/B1 then please contact me.

gobot wrote:

@Iwonder, are these quotations from visa agents, or from the relevant government agency? I assume visa agents because I have never seen licenses quoted as costing so much before.
You can google "vietnam motorbike license cost", the first three I found were $10, 70.000 VND, and 500.000 VND.

I haven't applied for a license so I have no personal experience.
Can anyone else share the cost for their A1 license?

Unless you are fluent in Vietnamese you are going to need an agent or someone connected. Most people who can do these licenses are connected to an official, therefore bypassing most of the written test. If you have an existing license it can be transferred, and the cost what you have quoted. Licenses issued pre 2012 are different to licenses issued after that year and generally last as long as your visa. As with most things here money talks,which usually means they are bypassing the normal procedures.

i have just got my Vnese A1 licence, if  you want to know all the information pls contact me PM
Thanks

I have been in Hanoi for 6 weeks and have 6 weeks to go. I'm wearing my legs and shoes out walking everywhere and the taxis add up quickly. I have adopted the GRAB app on my phone, but it also adds up. So was wondering about buying a second hand scooter for the rmeainder of my time here? I dont have a licence but did the rider tests in Australia some years ago, but didnt follow through with a full licence as I ended up selling my new scooter which I purchased at auction

I've been in Vietnam for 13 yrs now.  I've had a 'valid', Vietnamese License with the exception of my first 6 months. 
All you need is a valid driver license with a bike statement on it.  If not, the test is a real breeze, if you can pass the 3 minute road test.  I've never paid more than around 300 - 350,000 VND for it, about half for the road test and the rest for the license. 
That is an A & B license.  I've had two in HCMC, and now a valid one in DaNang, which I paid 127,000 VND for.  I had one of those big tan license from HCMC and it expired on me.  I filled out the forms, they contacted HCMC and gave me one of their shinny laminated cards for 5 yrs (exp. visa).  I was able to do this on my own...and with no 'coffee money' either. 
HCMC is real hassle unless you have someone to translate for you.

Anthony64 wrote:

I've been in Vietnam for 13 yrs now.  I've had a 'valid', Vietnamese License with the exception of my first 6 months. 
All you need is a valid driver license with a bike statement on it.  If not, the test is a real breeze, if you can pass the 3 minute road test.  I've never paid more than around 300 - 350,000 VND for it, about half for the road test and the rest for the license. 
That is an A & B license.  I've had two in HCMC, and now a valid one in DaNang, which I paid 127,000 VND for.  I had one of those big tan license from HCMC and it expired on me.  I filled out the forms, they contacted HCMC and gave me one of their shinny laminated cards for 5 yrs (exp. visa).  I was able to do this on my own...and with no 'coffee money' either. 
HCMC is real hassle unless you have someone to translate for you.

Interesting Anthony, I have a license issued in 2009, my second one, which was issued off my then current Australian license.Years later I asked the licensing department about its expiry, I was told that because it was issued pre 2012 when the laws changed inline with your visa, that it will never expire. I also contacted two other people dealing with licenses, one in Danang and one in Saigon, they both informed me that the license will never expire. As usual there is no uniformity in Viet Nam, so it's hard to know what the actual laws are.

You are correct...I've heard that as well...the license I had expired at the end of my Passport back in November 2014 from HCMC.  In October, 2014 I received a new license in DaNang which expires in line with the exemption visa...2019.
I had a TRC that was good for for 3 yrs when I left HCMC, but when I entered DaNang...to work legally, the TRC was no longer good.  As the days went by, I was told that it was only good as far North as Nha Trang.  Figure that one...(yes, I know the real rules on that also). Ended up getting a one month visa and then a 3 month after that.
I've also heard after living here more than 5 yrs, you may possibly get 'residence' here in Vietnam...

Here read this, but you must have a TRC to apply.

http://vietnamlawmagazine.vn/grant-of-p … -4957.html

yes, I've read that before.  I was told a few years ago, I am not able to get due to not being married at the time and that I was not in the country (day for day, 1100 days) to meet the requirements.  I traveled in and out of the country 2 or 3 times a month sometimes...
Plus there is no way I can get a criminal record...I am not a 'resident' of any State back in the US...haven't for 13 years...I have no physical or material connection in the US...even my bank billing address for all intentions is an address here...I do everything via e-mail and have no 'mailing/resident address'.

I've done the same but never any road test. The initial Australian Consulate stamp cost far more than the VN Lic. But now it is translate the documents and wait for a week and submit docs and wait another week to receive the Licence for the duration of my Visa.. I'm submitting for a boat licence next week so can't to see what problems may arise....

Where do you guys go to get the road test or written test? Can someone do a write up for this?

I helped my foreign student to get his driving licence for aboout 200 usd, 3 years valid, and he didn't have to take the written test bc he knows some basic Vietnamese.