Importing car and furniture to Mauritius?

Does anyone know if there are any customs duties or charges levied for importing a car and personal effects like furniture and technical equipment to Mauritius under the retirement program?

I tried calling the customs but couldnŽt reach them so maybe someone here is friendly enough to answer my questions? :)

Hello dandyboy ;)

I am certain that members from Mauritius (who are very very active) will respond to your queries soon.

Regards!

Hello,

Cars imported should be at least 18 months old (and less than ?) and imports duty amount to 100% of the value of the car, which is to be estimated by customs.

You need to ask for a specific permit to import a car in Mauritius (and, needless to say, the wheel should be at the right of the car :)).

There is 100% duty on a car. But let's explain how it works. Let's say you get a good deal on a car. Example I can buy a Mercedes E320 2007 for 700,000rs or 24,000 dollars. But when the car arrives the Mauritius government will tell you the value of the car. The car will be valued against cars that are in Mauritius. The government would tell me my Mercedes is worth about 2.8 million RS or $93,000dollars. Then the government will take the value and double the price. Then there is a 15% tax on shipping and value. So let's do the math. A care you bough for $24,000 would cost you: $93,000+$2,000 shipping+(($93,000+$2000))*.15) = $109,000. So you're $24,000 would cost you about $109,000 to bring into the country. If you want more info I can get you into contact with import companies.

hi fellas,
i'm back :P...lol, thats for being residents of the country:

Those returning residents who have stayed abroad for an aggregrate period of 10 years out of 12 years immediately preceding the date of their return to Mauritius and returning for good may, in addition to above, clear their personal car or van at reduced/concessionary rates of duty provided the car or van was in the actual ownership and use of the person for at least six months abroad. Duty will become payable should the passenger decide, within 4 years, to
(a) return back abroad, or
(b) sell the car or van.
Concessionary rate of duty on these motor vehicles: 15% + VAT at 15% Note: Only one car or van is allowed at such concessionary rate per household.

i believe you can get away with the duty rules above(pbrough details of info) if you're a non-resident; but i think its preferable to get it imported through a car dealer. they have car import permits deemed good for the purpose; hope this satisfies you.

always yours,
islander.

Hi,

as it is never less than 14° cold and we have lots of traffic jams and not enough parking space a 250 ccm motorbike or a big scooter is a real alternative on this island. They are much cheaper and faster than cars. And the best is ... one can park these vehicles most of the time right in front of the building which one wants to enter.

We, my wife, my daughter and I, have a car and 250ccm scooter and I use most of the time the scooter. Takes me 35-40 minutes from the center of FeF to the center of Port Louis.25-30 minutes to QB. A/C is also build in if I drive faster than 10km/h :;)

Hi all,

Call on 2020500 and ask Mr Facknath or Mr Gunpoth, they are both Team Leaders at Customs.

[Moderated]

pbrough wrote:

There is 100% duty on a car. But let's explain how it works. Let's say you get a good deal on a car. Example I can buy a Mercedes E320 2007 for 700,000rs or 24,000 dollars. But when the car arrives the Mauritius government will tell you the value of the car. The car will be valued against cars that are in Mauritius. The government would tell me my Mercedes is worth about 2.8 million RS or $93,000dollars. Then the government will take the value and double the price. Then there is a 15% tax on shipping and value. So let's do the math. A care you bough for $24,000 would cost you: $93,000+$2,000 shipping+(($93,000+$2000))*.15) = $109,000. So you're $24,000 would cost you about $109,000 to bring into the country. If you want more info I can get you into contact with import companies.

Thanks for the info
What if I bring a car that does not exist in Mauritius, Like a Holden Clubsport, where are they going to get the valuation from?
the only valuation available is the Australian one.
Thanks

So what you saying my friend is that it's not worth it then what about recondition cars from japan or China have you got some advice on that

Hi

I am currently living in South Africa, I understand your post was from 2010 but if possible, can you still put me in touch with Mauritian import companies?

Thank you.

Regards
Guillaume