Any advice appreciated - Moving to mauritius

Hi all!

I need some help and advice as it appears we are moving to Maurituis in a couple of months.. yikes!

I have some questions regarding pre schools for my (nearly) 4 yr old, pregnancy (I'll be 6 months) and hospitals as well as potential family friendly areas/ communities to live in the West which are close to good schools, beach, amenities, shops and a recommended maternity hospital/ gynae. Oh, and how easy is it to find help?  So many questions ...I do apologise :)
My husband will be working in Rose Hill so that's a consideration.

The main things I need to find out are:

1. Any recommended international pre schools  &  feeder schools (preferably in the West).
2. A recommended Gynae/ obstreticians and hospitals to give birth in.
3. Family friendly area to live near beach and some ammenities like supermarkets

I will be eternally grateful.

Many thanks.

Hi Sassoi
How exciting!
We are moving in July so are also busy with our research. I'm sure you will get some helpful replies. I have sent you a private message with a bit of info 😀

I've replied to your message Georgieboy. 

Thanks for all your info... much appreciated as it's nice to know what others do/think.
Good luck to us with our move :)

Hi Sassoi

I did not receive your message for some reason?

Yes, good luck to us with our moves. It's going to be wonderful 😀

Hi Sassoi,
I have sent you a private message.  Check this out.  I think the place answers most of your queries (Pre-primary school, hospital, clinic, beach,etc)

Good luck.

Hi,
You are 6 months pregnant
You will move to Mauritius in a couple months
You are looking for maternity hospital.
Hmmmm ....
Have you checked with the airline if you can travel whilst 7-8 months pregnant?

If you in the uk, you get certain  advantages for. Maternity care which you definitely dont have here; free dental care, free delivery.

In a private clinic in Mauritius, a delivery will be around Rs100,000 with followup. A CS is more expensive. And I have my doubts in the judgement of the surgeons when deciding to go for CS or natural. So far, anyone in my family who has given birth in a clinic in mauritius has done CS. Is it because it's a more lucrative operation?

My advice (if you are in uk), give birth there and then move.
Cheers
Gj

Thank you for your reply .

I'll  actually be 6 months pregnant when I fly  (doc said there's no problem flying then) and I fortunately have private medical insurance so should be fine on those fronts.

From my extensive research, I have heard that there are several reputable gynaes and well-established clinics as well as hospitals on the island with adequate facilities available.

My rationale is:  many women from all walks of life have given, will continue to give birth on the island so it will all, hopefully, be fine :)

Hi mam
you can stay Quatre bornes and u having good hospital Darne at curepie and Apollo at moka , so no need to be worries. and good schools are near Quatre bornes.

You will see lots of different information on the site about where to live and at the end it comes down to personal preference and travel time to Rose Hill.  The north is more touristy but has good facilities, shops, restaurants, etc. and the west (Tamarin/Riviere Noire) is less busy and more residential with reasonable shopping, nice beaches and lovely hinterland (except for Flic en Flac, which is the main tourist resort) .  Albion has a good link road to Rose Hill but it is mainly houses and beach.

You also need to think about how hot you like it.  If like me you don't mind the heat then the coast is great.  However if you prefer more temperate weather (and wetter) you may want to choose somewhere inland like Moka or Floreal.

Good luck

All that I'm saying is that giving birth in a private clinic in Mauritius is expensive.

HI Sassoi

You are most Welcome to Mauritius and glad to hear that you will get birth to a child in the Island.  plse check APOLLO HOSPITAL which is very good.

Moka will be a good place to stay not far from Rose Hill and as Mauritius is small island you can travel to the super market or beach easily.

thanks
JS

Any recommended international pre schools  &  feeder schools (preferably in the West).
2. A recommended Gynae/ obstreticians and hospitals to give birth in.

Hello

An international preschool which is not far from Moka is Clavis, with an IB Curriculum
At the same time, Appollo or Clinique de Bon Pasteur are both of good standard

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forums : please recommend the professionals you appreciate in our business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Derek you are not allowed to advertise on forum.