Accommodation n getting around

I'm interested in meeting some expats while staying in Quito. Will be arriving tonight 2/13/16 and unsure of taxi travel n where to stay. Any suggestions?

Hi!
We just arrived in Quito last night. We took the 9.5 hr bus trip from Cuenca (to see the countryside).

We are staying in a quaint place called La Rosario Hostel tele 0059322584760 near Old Quito. It is charming, clean, and the price is certainly right (!!!), but it is a bit of the beaten path.

We have submitted all documents for our pensioner visas (in Cuenca) and are deciding upon the best place to reside in Ecuador (to suit our needs and taste).

Obviously, we are in the same boat as you (just getting to know Ecuador). However, we have done EXTENSIVE research and would love to chat, if you wish. We will be here until 16 February.

Regards, Dr. Karen & Louis

Awesome! I will contact you guys once I get in country and maybe we could meet. First day will probably be working on getting cell phone operational n getting a few basics.
Thanks again,
Eric

Btw...I did find Accomidations and a direct taxi ride. Thank goodness!

GREAT. Hope we can meet up and share stories!

Dear E. Wilson,

I just answered your PM message with a PM about the Hotel Ambasador and bus / taxi transportation around Quito.

Many shops that sell cell-phones and cell-phone minutes have someone who can modify your phone for use in Ecuador, for a modest fee plus a SIM card purchase.

cccmedia

Hey Karen,
Well Im here in getting my feet wet. Absolutely beautiful and amazing people! Had a friend I met show me around a little n bought some food too. Still need to find the shops to get a Sim card. Tapping into WiFi right now. Let me know what works good for you and we can meet sometime. Really enjoying meeting new people and share experiences.

Hey guys, any suggestions on work for a couple weeks? English speaking only, computer aided design as a profession but open to the simplest tasks for a short time.

Hello
Are you surviving the air pollution??

it was already difficult enough adjusting to the high altitude but the fumes from the cars and buses are enough to do me in!

We are going to the center or the world tomorrow and also explore some potential property options.

So far, we are partial to the outer limits of the Cuenca area.

Hope you are having a good time.

DrKaren wrote:

Are you surviving the air pollution??

it was already difficult enough adjusting to the high altitude but the fumes from the cars and buses are enough to do me in!

Because these issues are so important, Doc....

(1) An Expat needs to visit a city before deciding to move there ... period.

(2) Expats should not buy property in their first year in Ecuador, to see how they adjust to a variety of factors.

(3) Some people can't reasonably think they can live at 9350 above sea level especially if they have COPD or existing breathing conditions.  Even Vilcabamba at about 5000 feet would be a challenge.

(4) An Expat should normally not live on a bus line in a city such as Ecuador's capital.

-- cccmedia

Hello cccmedia,

Thanks for your response.

First of all, we have looked all over the world before deciding on a place to retire during the last three years. The reason we chose Ecuador is twofold: 1) we can both use our pensions (his SS, mine VA medical disability) to retire; 2) I can still work as a psychologist IF I WANT TO even though I am on a pensioner visa. Yes, I have already done my homework and started the paperwork to make sure I practice LEGALLY here. Ecuador is the ONLY country we found that had a decent pensioner program AND would still allow me to work. I am too young to retire and the pensioner program will not prohibit me from working here.

Neither of us are "city folk" so we are not interested in "city living" anyway! We had initially decided on the surrounding areas of Quito (Cumbaya, etc) but our final decision will depend upon the property we will be able to afford (we plan to build a house). We chose our hotels (hostals) locations for both based on Cuenca and Quito based upon what we had planned to accomplish while we were here.

Our visas were submitted in Cuenca on Thursday (last week).so once they are approved, we will be on our way.

We have both done extensive research re places to build and traveled extensively during our 2 week trip. For sure, we know the hot coast is NOT for us because we are leaving hot South Florida (my place of birth) and not interested in a repeat performance!

We will be looking to rent an UNFURNISHED 3 -4 bedroom house with a garage in a neighborhood near where we plan to build. It is understood that we may have to move twice if we find land farther from where we had planned to build. (We already bought land in another country so we are well aware of the "drill").

We will be immigrating with 4 cats so we will have to be mindful of their needs, not just ours.

As far as altitude and my health are concerned, I have skied in CO at 11,000Ft every year since 2008, without incident and in Norway two years ago, ditto..It was a LOT colder in Norway than CO though the altitude was a bit lower.

My doctor is well aware of my health conditions and has prescribed Acetazolamide (500mg) each time I have traveled to high altitudes. As you may know, skiing is strenuous so I (and my doctor) were expecting that moving to Ecuador would not be a problem. It is now day 14 and I still find it hard to walk long distances without being winded. Thus, it will probably take me longer to adjust than most and I am prepared for that.

We look forward to our adventure here and are doing so with "eyes wide open"!

DrKaren wrote:

We already bought land in another country so we are well aware of the "drill".

Buying a piece of land here is the easy part.

As far as construction, you won't find a Home Depot or anything like it outside the cities.  Working with a maestro, typically a Spanish speaker, will be a challenge.  The mañana attitude and other cultural differences will push your capacity for patience.  And re-selling, when the time comes, can be a bear.

At least give consideration to buying an existing home instead of starting from scratch in a strange land.

cccmedia

hello
Thanks for the reply.

We are under no illusion that building a house will be easy or come without challenges!  However, because Louis was a contractor, licensed plumber & electrician (in other countries) and also built custom furniture in USA for more than 20 years, AND speaks fluent Spanish, he should be able to navigate through this unfamiliar territory. In fact, we have already started  this process in Nicaragua and that country has even fewer resources than Ecuador!

Yes, we are well aware there are no Home Depots, per se, however, we have already started the process of lining up suppliers for materials once we find "fee simple" (and legally and available) land to build upon.

Coming from South Florida, we are well aware of the "mañana " concept!!! In fact, Louis had a business for 20 years and only hired "locals" who spoke Spanish. They showed up to work when it was convenient for them! We are under no illusions! That's why we want to find an unfurnished house close to where we want to build so he can supervise the process, with cultural respect to the "local" contractors and "talent," of course..

We hope to have our visas in 6 -8 weeks and will be exploring many rental options until then.

Since this trip, we have definitely decided that Quito is not for us. It is a charming city with lots of culture. However, after driving around both old and new Quito and many miles to various surrounding areas (in the rental car since we arrived on Friday), we have decided to look elsewhere. At least one region has been ruled out!

DrKaren wrote:

no illusion that building a house will be easy or come without challenges!  However, because Louis was a contractor, licensed plumber & electrician (in other countries) and also built custom furniture in USA for more than 20 years, AND speaks fluent Spanish, he should be able to navigate through this unfamiliar territory. In fact, we have already started  this process in Nicaragua and that country has even fewer resources than Ecuador !

Clearly, you and Louis are miles ahead of most Expats who come to Ecuador to get started building their dream house.

However, trying to do simultaneous builds in Ecuador and Nicaragua seems like biting off more than you can masticar.

Thanks for explaining your special situation re Louis's impressive background.

cccmedia

Hello

For the time being, we have put Nicaragua on hold. Based on where we were fortunate to buy, time is n our side and the value is going up by the day. We can afford to wait and focus on setting up household in Ecuador.

The only question is WHERE.

We are in no hurry!!! We want to make the right choice based on our specific needs and criteria.

The outskirts of Cuenca are very nice.

cccMedia,

I live now just outside Vilcabamba, in Yamburara Alto, and have no difficulty in walking the 4 km to town and back.  I am 65 now and have environmental asthma, use my puffer once a day to prevent problems).  I actually do walk farther than that if I want to experience the walk .  For sure, the only thing that gets to me is the steep incline up the mountain on which my rental house path is located.  Everyone has that issue the first year, I am told.
HelenPivoine

A question for you, cccMedia,

Are there other reasons for waiting for one year before buying land or a house here?  My family of course is trying to dissuade me from buying land on which to build a house.  The other factors that I can see, from experience of extranjeros here, is that:  possibly the micro climate of chosen land  is wrong for you; possibly there are other factors such as crime in immediate area; and possibly one could get taken by buying a house which was built on unstable ground  and this is discovered too late.

HelenPivoine

The answer, in your case, is obvious to me regarding the one-year rule, Helen.

You have difficulty walking up the hill to your residence, and the locals say everyone has trouble the first year.

So wait until that year is over before re-evaluating and doing anything fancy about property.  If -- after a year -- the climb is worse, you will be glad you waited.

A year also gives you time to make sure the neighborhood is right for you -- re transportation, neighbors, animals, noise factor, various other things.

cccmedia

cccMedia,

OK, thanks for your wisdom.  So far everything is perfect, and it would be hard to surpass this view anywhere; I have looked already.

I will reluctantly hold fast for awhile, waiting for the Canadian dollar to rise and float properly.

HelenPivoine

Hello Birdmama

While in Cuenca, we  had a driver take us to several communities within 30 minutes of the city and looked at several property options.

We actually found several in Gualaceo that we liked.

We are back in Florida awaiting our visas.

We plan to rent a 3-4 bedroom UNFURNISHED house (on the outskirts of Cuenca), hopefully with a garage and a yard for the cats we will be brining with us.

if you hear of anything, feel free to let us know. Thanks!

Good Morning everyone
   My husband, and I are going to be moving to Cuenca in about 6 months.  I'm trying to find out as much information on who, and the details of getting a container, price, do they deliver to your door, etc.
I would appreciate any information that would help us. We to will be looking to rent a unfurnished house while waiting on our container of furniture gets delivered. We have been there a few times, and we stayed near the river, and Park Calderon.
I'm trying to find out the names of the vacinity, I guess like the neighborhood names. I wish there was amap, a realtors map would help a lot.
Anyone have any realtors names, or how is the best way to locate these homes ?
I suppose I will need a person to translate for us. We are learning Spanish  little by little.
Than you in advance

Hello

After doing MUCH research, we chose to use Joe Spotts moving company. His contact info is:

C2C Moves - Containers to Cuenca

Located on: Los Pinos 1-99 y Tres de Noviembre, Cuenca - Ecuador

Ec:   098 944 9150
US: 760-678-5600
Email:     [email protected]

We have had many conversations with him and he has given us valuable information about packing and what to expect at customs when we arrive with our belongings. In fact, when in Cuenca on 8 February, we went to his office for a face-to-face conversation and he answered any additional questions we had about our move.

Our visas were submitted on 11 February (in Cuenca) so as soon as they are processed, we are on our way!

He comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and we feel confident in our choice to use his services for moving our entire household to Ecuador!

Thank you very much, we will contact them.

:-)
We would also suggest that you use the next 6 months wisely in your search for information.

We will be posting information based on OUR up-to-date unique experience as we immigrate to Ecuador.