Essentials to live in the United Arab Emirates

Hi,

As an expat living in the United Arab Emirates, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in the United Arab Emirates? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to the United Arab Emirates.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Christine.

That's a great question. I have been living here for five years now with my wife and daughter and I don't think we have ever needed something that we haven't been able to find here. There are supermarkets and shopping malls everywhere so you'll be pleasantly surprised that life goes on, we can all wear what we want and eat what we want in most cases.

Certain food items tend to be very expensive here as the supermarkets take advantage of the fact that we like our "comforts" such as pork, so you might need to be a bit smart about about purchasing certain items from certain shops as this can help save money.

I would say the important things to bring are an open mind, zero expectations and an understanding that things might be a little different here (especially driving here but that's a whole different subject).

Kind regards
Ulas

I am sharing my personal experience (it's my experience). What I feel in this country is, medical care is purely a business and sometimes, lacking the ethics. I'm not mentioning the name of hospital because I don't want to offend anyone.

In connection with a medical camp conducted in my office, I had to check my BP and they found some variations. And as per their instruction, I consulted the cardiologist, but nothing found abnormal on my BP readings at that time. So they suggested me to undergo ECG and Chest X-Ray and some blood test, but everything was perfect. Even then, they were not ready to accept that I am normal and they installed a device on my hand to take the BP readings on regular intervals. Needless to say, it was a sleepless night for me as the device was pumping air and tightening my hand on every 5 minutes. The funny thing is, they found nothing abnormal! I didn't paid for anything, even though. I feel it as injustice because, the hospital will claim for all the tests they have conducted from insurance.

Hi,
I totally agree with Ulas. Time has gone when you have to bring few things back from your home country when ever you go back for a vacation because you will not find them here and vise versa. We live in a global village called the world where you can find every thing every where.

I must admit that the question is broad may be intentional to instigate a debate  which you will hardly get !!

Dear , I am a doctor myself & going to have extensive tests for a minor issue ( now in an EU country  ). I expect all to be normal which will make me happy.
The issue is when a doctor find something suspicious -even a minor one - he has to dig for it . He can't say u r fine as he thinks &:u can go home ! Before making such a statement , he has to confirm. Be happy u r fine. Communicate withe doctor asking why things went this way.

stephanos21111 wrote:

Dear , I am a doctor myself & going to have extensive tests for a minor issue ( now in an EU country  ). I expect all to be normal which will make me happy.
The issue is when a doctor find something suspicious -even a minor one - he has to dig for it . He can't say u r fine as he thinks &:u can go home ! Before making such a statement , he has to confirm. Be happy u r fine. Communicate withe doctor asking why things went this way.

I specifically mentioned that I don't want to offend someone since I'm not a doctor. But I can't find the logic in suggesting more tests if someone's bp reading is normal. The initial reading was not taken in the presence of a doctor or not even from the hospital. All I asked the cardiologist is, I need to check my bp.

I see. Then you should have discussed with the doctor why those things were necessary. Sorry u got through this dear.

hi,
If coming on tourist visa to look for a job, carry all your academic papers plus recommedations. Also make sure they are attested in your homes ministry of education.
Carry a brief case with suitable clothes depending on why your coming. a few shoes, clothes, basic items for day to day life,

- Medicines
(You should definitely pack generic medicines and a good supply of your prescription medicines).

- Driving License
(Would be great if you could get a international driving license from your country)

Hi, I'm wondering if it's still possible to find jobs in Dubai if you visit and then look for work? I have been applying for so many jobs in UAE and even stayed once for three months but still couldn't find anything, I'm extremely disappointed that I may never be able to live and work there in my life time. I have two masters degree in international law and I'm from Australia, I just don't know what to do, I also have friends there and apparently they tried to help but they couldn't but I'm not sure if they are being honest. Is there anyway that you could provide an honest feebback and explanation? Thank you for mentioning if Christine was coming to look for work, every time i read anything like this I get excited and positive hoping that there might be some hope out there that I can get a job there.

I have only been here 6 months and I'm in Al Ain.  I have found most of the products I am accustomed to but there are some that I have sent in. 

1) Vitamins and Supplements.  You can find some in the pharmacies but I take a lot of specific supplements with odd formulations.  www.iherb.com gets them to me quickly and for very little shipping.

2)  Hair products.  You can find all kinds of shampoo and conditioning products here but I have been using mine for year and they aren't here.  The Joico line I haven't found.  Mousse(Paule Mitchell), hairspray(Garnier Fructis), and straightening cream (Garnier Fructis) are very limited.  I either brought all of this with me or I have had it shipped in. 

3) Deodorant:  I can only use Degree for some reason.  Everything else, even Dove causes a rash.  It's not here so I brought a bunch with me.

4) Feminine Hygiene products.  If you have a favorite brand, absorbancy, etc of tampons bring them with you.  It is hit and miss what you can find.

5) Seasonings:  I love to cook and I am trying new things but I am partial to my seasoning salt.  You won't find McCormick, Lawry's, of my obsession Johnny's here so bring some with you. 

In a nut shell, when you move here pack things that you don't want to live without.  After you are here for a few months you will be able to decide if you can find the same item or a suitable replacement.  Some things I thought I would die without...like Dawn dish soap.  I found that the Sunlight antibacterial is just as good if not better.  In the US the Sunlight dish soap is watery and ineffective but here it is great and gives me the squeaky dishes I like.

I've even found some new products here that I don't want to live without and am packing extra on my 2 month work trip to the US.  TimTam Dark Chocolate cookies, Digestive crackers, Bounty bars, and the freshly roasted nuts from my Monsour.   To bad I can't take my Shwarma guy, my housekeeper, and my tailor with me to the US...it's going to be a long 2 months!

HermanAli wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering if it's still possible to find jobs in Dubai if you visit and then look for work? I have been applying for so many jobs in UAE and even stayed once for three months but still couldn't find anything, I'm extremely disappointed that I may never be able to live and work there in my life time. I have two masters degree in international law and I'm from Australia, I just don't know what to do, I also have friends there and apparently they tried to help but they couldn't but I'm not sure if they are being honest. Is there anyway that you could provide an honest feebback and explanation? Thank you for mentioning if Christine was coming to look for work, every time i read anything like this I get excited and positive hoping that there might be some hope out there that I can get a job there.

I'm extremely sorry for your bad luck. Keep in mind, all the expats working here were candidates at a time. I have to say, luck plays a major role. Besides, in this country, what you know is not much important, what makes the sense is whom you know. Anyway, this is not the perfect time to visit for a job hunt since the things are little bit tight now.

Thank you for the reply and concerns, appreciated. I have to agree that luck plays a massive role plus who you know. I guess so far I have neither.

Hi Dear
i am sure you will get every thing here in UAE

HermanAli wrote:

Thank you for the reply and concerns, appreciated. I have to agree that luck plays a massive role plus who you know. I guess so far I have neither.

I suggest you to be patient and get involved with some meetup sites so that you can expand your friend circle. Mean while, get some experience as well. I can't suggest you a visit to this country now as the situation is not good at the moment.