Essentials to live in Puerto Rico

Hi,

As an expat living in Puerto Rico, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Puerto Rico? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Puerto Rico.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

You can get everything here. It's not worth bring anything over on a container. The only thing I feel we are lacking is inexpensive linens stores. We had a good one but they left the island a couple months ago. Also a poor selection of arts and crafts.  No Michael or ac Moore or chain fabric stores. Other then those things. You're all set

You can get almost anything here, there are thousands of stores for all kinds of budgets... My advise will be to travel light and don't pack much... My family of 4 move from Texas to P.R. and did not bring nothing only what we were carrying, I purchase a House on the south of the island for $121,000 and spend about $7,000 to furnish my home at 100% with new everything. If you have a car sell it and save the money, don't import a motor vehicle, I repeat, Don't import a motor vehicle here, vehicle import TAX is crazy for example: if you import let say a car Lexus 2000 your estimated vehicle tax will be around $10,000 or more. you can get a used Lexus here for much less just an example it can be much more that $10,000... I made the mistake and import my 2006 Suzuki XL-7 and paid $6,750 on the vehicle import tax for the small SUV and about $3,000 for two motorcycles... If you need a vehicle buy your vehicle here locally don't import any there are hundreds of dealers and you can get a used vehicle for a great price...

Bring your pets.
Bring your ukulele (or other favorite musical instrument)
Scan all of your important documents and family or friends photos.
Bring your  must-have artwork.
if you are a crafts person and use freezer paper for patterns, bring a roll.  Can't find that here.
Bring your laptop with  of all the important information on it, your iPad or Kindle or Nook.
Bring Very Important Papers, such as birth certificates, passports.
Bring one suitcase filled with memorabilia, such as that crystal vase your grandfather brought back from France during World War One. 
Bring a towel (for those of you who have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Bring your Mother if she lives with you.
That is my list of essentials.  Sometimes an odd  urge arises, such as the desire for Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles or rye bread from Stanley's Bakery in East Islip, NY.  You can ask a visiting friend (you will have many in winter) to bring it to you.

don't forget your social security card  -  necessary for auto registration.

You can find the usual appliance and lower end furniture companies here ( Home Depot, Best Buy, Ashleys, etc.)  BUT while the showrooms are full,  much of what is shown has to be shipped from the mainland.  Add six weeks.

jose4690 wrote:

If you have a car sell it and save the money, don't import a motor vehicle, I repeat, Don't import a motor vehicle here, vehicle import TAX is crazy for example: if you import let say a car Lexus 2000 your estimated vehicle tax will be around $10,000 or more. you can get a used Lexus here for much less just an example it can be much more that $10,000... I made the mistake and import my 2006 Suzuki XL-7 and paid $6,750 on the vehicle import tax for the small SUV and about $3,000 for two motorcycles.

http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/sobre-h … da-virtualhttps://siscon.hacienda.gobierno.pr/Sis … 1List.aspx

You paid $6750 on import taxes for a 2006 vehicle?  The Hacienda shows the taxes to be $600-700.  Did you make a mistake in your post?  Are you posting facts or guesses?   It sounds like the numbers you are quoting are for the prices of those cars, not the import taxes on them. 

Vehicles Excise Taxes

This application allows you to obtain an estimate of the excise tax to be paid when importing a vehicle to Puerto Rico.

You can obtain the excise tax estimate using any of the following data:
•make, model and year of the vehicle; or
•the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

The most effective form to obtain the estimate is using the VIN. It has a maximum of 17 digits, including numbers and letters. The VIN can be found in several places inside a vehicle. The most common is on a metal plate located in the left side of the vehicle's dash. Also, the VIN can be found in the vehicle's license or property title.

To enter the vehicle's data, press here.

Yea I brought a Dodge 2500 and a 20 ft boat here and it was only about $1,500 per vehicle

The vehicle was imported from Texas to Puerto Rico on 2006, so Hacienda charge taxes just like it was brand new. Also my motorcycles were a Harley and a Yamaha they were also from 2006.

Ok,  I just got here in November and had everything shipped from Jacksonville Florida I think the Hacienda also depends on what year your vehicle or boat is my truck was a 2000 and I bought the boat in 2005

Hi Spencerazac,
Since you been in the island for a few months, how about starting a new Subject and tell everyone about your experiences and where you end up and why?