Essentials to live in Portugal

Hi,

As an expat living in Portugal, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Portugal? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Portugal.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

an open mind?

An open mind is very important here, as its very slow and somewhat burocratic...things
Don't run easily! But if one is accepting this..and enjoy nature...you'll be ok!

Depends on the season you arrive here for packing! But usually I found this is a layering climate,
Like LA California.  Spring-fall clothes for winter! And then summer easy..little!
Importations on food are very expensive here, but if one sticks to basics: go to local markets for veggies
Meat is badly cut, so find a butcher who understands cuts! Fish is pricey but good...
I've been here now 4 months, and one has to explore beyond the usual here. A few shops around Cascais and Estoril have imports, if one really needs them. VIP supermarket, Saloio in Estoril, and Jumbo is pretty well equipped if one searches the isles.  Oddly enough with all the Chinese here, there aren't that much Chinese goods available! I've for cooking!
Markets of delight are in Almocageme on Tuesday's..and Colares on Sunday's...all very local stuff.
Enjoy.

If you are under 35 it is easier to live here. If you are older, you need to live in a place with a lot of expats. Lisbon, Caldish Da Rainha (not too far from Lisbon, has lots of culture, and rents are cheaper) or Algarve are the best for us. If you like a warm climate, then Algarve would be best. I think Oporto is the worst choice! It rains a hell of a lot, the winters are cold, and there is almost zero culture. Lisbon has museums and is closest to the ways of New York City. Lisbon is beautiful, and the people are more open to foreigners than the people of Oporto. I have lived here for 10 years, and I hate Oporto. I prefer the lifestyle of Lisbon and Caldish. WARNING: BE CAREFUL OF TAXI DRIVERS. THEY CAN BE EXTREMELY RUDE AND ABUSIVE. PEOPLE HERE DO NOT TIP THEM OR WAITERS, BECAUSE THEY EARN THE MINIMUM WAGE AT LEAST.

Living here at any age is good. Weather is relatively good all the Lisbon coast!
adapting is easier on the Costa de lisboa and Some areas of Algarve not all.

Skippy, I'm so glad that life in Portugal is good for you. We are all diferent! For me it has been a horrible experience. Part of the problem is that I live in Oporto where the people are generally rude, and very friendly as long as they know you have something to offer them. They rarely invite people to their homes, but they can be somewhat friendly in other settings. I have yet to find a close friend here! If I had it to do over again, I probably would not live in Portugal, but if I did, it would only be in the Lisbon área! Sorry we don't agree! People have to know both sides of the story if they are going to make a major move her. From what I have heard, I'm not alone in my opinion!

@ Eileen Vicente > I am sorry for what happened to you, maybe you can participate on other threads in order to relate your expat experience as here you are a bit off topic. ;)

---------

@ all > Can we please go back to the initial subject of this topic and share  our opinion on the  Essentials to live in Portugal ?

Thanks all,

Priscilla  :cheers:

If you decide to live outside of your country, do not expect magic. Generally it is for a reason that as nothing to do with the freindhip of natives. Freindship may come later on, moreespecially if you speak the language.
I agree that Lisbon is the best place, further north it will be just as cold as France. Algarve is a foreign ghetto where you have to pay the price for a little bit more of sun.
I would not spend money in moving furniture in a container, the cost may be more that you could find locally.

Why do you refer to Algarve as a "foreign ghetto"?

Adopt a "non-little-Brit" mindset; - accept that you're in someone else's country and keep out of politics; - No Daily Mail or BBC here.
Also, invest in a comfortable pair of shoes

Lone Wolf
:dumbom:

1) Good manners will make your stay most enjoyable. Portugal retains the old world charm of Europe and the sort of blunt demands we make of each other in the UK are seen as extremely rude. Waiters, shop staff and restaurateurs consider themselves to be worthy individuals, not slaves or cogs in a machine as in the USA.
Just how important this is can be illustrated by something I witnessed. Having found a man lying in the street, seemingly having a fit, I and passers by called an ambulance. By the time it arrived four policemen had collected at the scene. Lights flashing, siren whooping it pulled up sharply and out jumped two orange clad paramedics. They looked at the man on the ground, then solemnly said "boa noite" to each policeman in turn and shook hands. Only then did they spring into action and treat the patient.
So don't miss out the "bom dias" and "boa noites" or the handshakes or you will be seen as a rough, rude and uncivilised person.

2) Patience.  When your food takes a long time to arrive, rejoice. The kitchen staff are cutting the fresh meat, chopping the potatoes and filleting today's fish. Cook-chill factory food delivered to restaurants is rare here. Hamburgers are real homemade ones and fries are rarely frozen ones (unless you go to McYou know who's).

3) Generosity. The reason you can get a three course "Prato do dia" lunch with wine and coffee included for €7.50 is because the average income of a Portuguese person is about HALF that of  people in the USA and northern European countries. That is also the reason the Portuguese don't tip. If as a foreigner you are spending money from one of the wealthier countries then you are already getting a half-price deal and can easily afford to add a generous tip to your server's miserable income.

I am a New Englander, Maple syrup, you can find it here but it is very expensive. If you enjoy basic clothing in high quality cotton, (t-shirts, turtlenecks, slacks, oxfords, polo shirts) bring them with you, these kinds of items are also hard to find and expensive.

''1) Good manners will make your stay most enjoyable. Portugal retains the old world charm of Europe and the sort of blunt demands we make of each other in the UK are seen as extremely rude. Waiters, shop staff and restaurateurs consider themselves to be worthy individuals, not slaves or cogs in a machine as in the USA.
Just how important this is can be illustrated by something I witnessed. Having found a man lying in the street, seemingly having a fit, I and passers by called an ambulance. By the time it arrived four policemen had collected at the scene. Lights flashing, siren whooping it pulled up sharply and out jumped two orange clad paramedics. They looked at the man on the ground, then solemnly said "boa noite" to each policeman in turn and shook hands. Only then did they spring into action and treat the patient.
So don't miss out the "bom dias" and "boa noites" or the handshakes or you will be seen as a rough, rude and uncivilised person.

2) Patience.  When your food takes a long time to arrive, rejoice. The kitchen staff are cutting the fresh meat, chopping the potatoes and filleting today's fish. Cook-chill factory food delivered to restaurants is rare here. Hamburgers are real homemade ones and fries are rarely frozen ones (unless you go to McYou know who's).

3) Generosity. The reason you can get a three course "Prato do dia" lunch with wine and coffee included for €7.50 is because the average income of a Portuguese person is about HALF that of  people in the USA and northern European countries. That is also the reason the Portuguese don't tip. If as a foreigner you are spending money from one of the wealthier countries then you are already getting a half-price deal and can easily afford to add a generous tip to your server's miserable income.''

thanks mr.scott.

my thoughts exactly...