Essentials to live in Myanmar

Hi,

As an expat living in Myanmar, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Myanmar? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Myanmar.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi there,

I've been here for about 15 months and these are the things that I would recommend you pack. Please note that I am way up north in Shan State so some of these things you might be able to find in Yangon. Maybe. So, here goes...

* Carry all the cheese that you can!! Unless you absolutely love 'Laughing Cow'... If you do have a severe hankering for decent cheese (and you're in Yangon) hit up Traders' Hotel lunch buffet or Ruby Mart (they occasionally have imported cheddar).
* Ladies: bring tampons. Lots of them. That is all. Pads of every width and size are everywhere but yeah, no tampons until you hit Bangkok. Trust me, I've looked :D
* A head torch. Has come in so handy for the numerous power outages (although those are getting fewer and less regular).
* If you're a reader, bring a Kindle. I've got an older one but one of those side-lit ones is pretty good for when the power goes.
* Good hiking boots if you like to hiking or trekking.
* Good mosquito repellent. I'm accustomed to using Aerogard (Aussie brand, I think) and find the ones that you get here just don't work for very long.
* Shoes and slippers if your feet are a little larger than (ladies) size 8 or (men) size 9 or 10.
* A liking for sweet bread. We've had limited luck finding "normal" bread.
* A love of garlic, onion, and chilli. In everything. Yum!
Also...
* A sense of humour and an open attitude :)

Things you can get easily: most things. Even up north and away from the major cities.
My husband and I are pretty light travellers though so we don't need too many things or miss many things from home.

Good luck and all the best to those who decide to venture out this way :)

Best,
C