Essentials to live in Mexico

I was responding to Anne having misunderstood me when she thought that I was hoping to avoid all Mexican shops!

I agree - shopping is a pain where ever you are!

Hello Expat Friends:
                                Despite the fact that eventually you'll find everything you'll need in beautiful Mexico, as a general rule no matter how badly I want to go and be some where other than where I'm used to, I always make sure to bring with me everything that I'm "used to" until I "get used" to my new environment........Did I say "used to" too many times? Jajajajaja........believe me its not too many times. Even heaven would be a shock when we first get there.
........I maybe wrong.....I'm just saying. :D. Shay

jeanfinney wrote:

I agree - shopping is a pain where ever you are!

I buy as much as I can on the Internet.
Have to be careful to shop products I know.

Going back to the question of what items are easy to find in Mexico, here's something to keep in mind.

I use a lot of disposable plates and utensils.  More often than not the specific utensil I need is out of stock at Walmart or supermarket.  Sam's Club is the same or they don't carry single types.  Only an assortment of knives, forks and spoons.  I'll use up two of the three and there's still half or more of the third.  I prefer paper plates rather plastic or foam to use in the microwave.  The only ones I found were at Sam's Club, sometimes.

Today, I needed plastic knives and paper plates.  It occurred to me, after 7 years in Mexico to check the public market, the stand that sells foam plates.  No they were out of stock on both but other stands around the corner should have both.  The second stand I asked at had both items.  Neither item was on display in sight.

The point of this rambling story is it doesn't hurt ask.  Keep asking.

The public market may seem disorganized but the vendors usually know where to go to get just about anything.

A little tip about shopping in the market,if the item in question has no price tag and you have to ask for the price usually they will quote you double what they are looking for.Always get two prices from two different vendors.If your not alert and prepared to haggle in the market you will find the same item for sale in the stores at a cheaper price.My mindset changes each time i enter the market as it is jam packed with people who are hell bent on ripping me off.You need to leave your Please and thank you outside the market.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

A little tip about shopping in the market,if the item in question has no price tag and you have to ask for the price usually they will quote you double what they are looking for.Always get two prices from two different vendors.If your not alert and prepared to haggle in the market you will find the same item for sale in the stores at a cheaper price.My mindset changes each time i enter the market as it is jam packed with people who are hell bent on ripping me off.You need to leave your Please and thank you outside the market.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.  In Zacatecas prices for fresh produce, tortillas and meat were consistently less in than market than Walmart and in most cases much fresher.

Here in Coatepec, the fresh fruit sold off the back of trucks near the market is cheaper and fresher than the supermarkets, Chedraui and Aurerra.  Yesterday, I bought paper plates and plastic knives at the market.  I paid 120 pesos.  Between Chedraui and Sam's club, I would have paid 130 or more since I can't buy the quantities that even out between Chedraui and Sam's club.

Indeed,generally the food products are marked per kilo and are way cheaper in The market.

Near the peoples market there is a store that sells all sorts of plastic and foil. They are much cheaper than the stores, and home depot. They apparently supply those other stores.
The items I have bought at the peoples market have all been cheaper then anywhere else. Most of the stalls have prices posted.
I have also found jewelry repairs are quick and cheap.
You can't get jewelry repairs at jewelry stores like you can in the state. I spent a whole day asking at shops about repairs and finally a craftsman said you have to go to the market.

Shoelaces are another item I had to go to the market for.
Shoe stores don't carry them.

Once more, it never hurts to ask around.

I bought a pot in The market last week i had already checked the prices in The stores,when i first asked The price he quoted me double what They were asking in The store,he eventually sold it to me for less.Haggle is The name of The game obviously not with goods priced per kilo

Ask around for sure,was looking for coffee filters in soriana beside and around The coffee.So,i asked The clerk who informed me they were in electronics with the coffee machines of course.

Yes, where things are located is an adventure in it's self. You have to assume it is not where you would expect. Once you have found it, don't assume it will be in that isle next time.
I have also learned not to buy several when I see an item I use. That seems the kiss of death. Keep yourself, from buying more than two. If there are 4 on the shelf, and you buy them all, you may not see that item again for months. No one can explain what that's all about . No one can explain why you can't buy the display item, when all the others have been sold either. They just know you can't sell the display item, so that is that.

In Chedraui here, they are in with the coffee, if I remember correctly.

When Im in Coatzacoalcos and i find jif crunchy peanut butter Im buying everything they have which is usually four or five jars.I see smuckers jelly here but never The peanut butter,Thats My favorite.

I've seen Skippy here but only the low fat crunchy variety which is much too sweet.  Aladino brand is more than acceptable.  Thankfully smuckers is here, I like blueberry best.  McCormick has a couple of excellent flavors, apple cinnamon and strawberry.  Recently, I lucked onto a restaurant that serves all beef hot dogs.  I don't feel deprived.

Encouraging news on PB and jams. In Japan, jam was blueberry or strawberry period. Peanut butter was a very sweet fluffy creamy thing. Had to order the real stuff via a foreign buyers club in Kobe or a very expensive import shop. Good to know know there are at least options in Mexico.

Melanie in Mexico - is that $3,600 USD or pesos for a year for insurance?
I just arrived in SMA today and I want to be clear on this subject.
Thanks

stinkyboy1 wrote:

When Im in Coatzacoalcos and i find jif crunchy peanut butter Im buying everything they have which is usually four or five jars.I see smuckers jelly here but never The peanut butter,Thats My favorite.

Costco always has Skippy 4 pound creamy peanut butter jars for about $100 to 110 pesos and Smuckers strawberry jam, no jellies. In supermarkets Jif is 3 times the price.

Never crunchy?  That's no help. I buy so little, I'm not getting the value of my Sam's membership, so it doesn't seem to make sense to join Costco.  T
here was no Costco in Zacatecas.

gudgrief wrote:

Never crunchy?  That's no help. I buy so little, I'm not getting the value of my Sam's membership, so it doesn't seem to make sense to join Costco.  T

They had Skippy crunchy because I picked it by mistake instead of creamy a couple of years ago. I haven´t noticed if they still have it lately. I am going there tomorrow to get 2 pounds of Kirkland Wisconsin cheddar cheese for $95.00 pesos and will check. I also didn´t get my yearly fees worth over the 6 years with my Sam´s Club card so I let it expire last fall. Costco beats Sam´s on almost everything we buy.

It's not likely I'd get my money's worth out of Costco either.
At least I can get some things in Sam's McAllen when I'm up there 4 times a year/
No Costco near McAllen either.

alleycat1 wrote:
gudgrief wrote:

They had Skippy crunchy because I picked it by mistake instead of creamy a couple of years ago. I haven´t noticed if they still have it lately. I am going there tomorrow to get 2 pounds of Kirkland Wisconsin cheddar cheese for $95.00 pesos and will check. I also didn´t get my yearly fees worth over the 6 years with my Sam´s Club card so I let it expire last fall. Costco beats Sam´s on almost everything we buy.

Costco doesn´t stock Skippy crunchy anymore. Creamy for a 4 pound plastic jar is $109.00 pesos now. Smuckers jams are only strawberry and marmalade, There is a Costco in Pharr Tx. on the way to McAllen.

Well, shut my mouth!  When did that happen?  Pharr is butted right up against McAllen.  I'll have to check it out next time I go up in April.  Thanks.

Well, one good thing in Ecuador: They have delicious peanut butter with no additivies, just peanuts and salt! A great find. Not cheap but a very useful....

Thanks for the advice. May I ask you about quality bed linens and bath linens?

Hi Skyemoody,

Actually there are excellent linen choices at Liverpool .

Linens made in Mexico. I have bought several king size sheet sets there. Really nice, strong, and soft. The towels are also quite well made.   $ 3,000 pesos per sheet set , or 156. 60 US. I don't remember the towel costs, but they were well worth buying I thought.

You can of course buy cheaper sheets at the markets including Walmart. I bought some hand towels for the rarely used Bathroom at Walmart. I also bought some pretty nice large bath towels on sale at Mega.

So yes you can get some excellent to pretty nice linen depending on your budget. I now use the sad towels that came with the house as dish towels.

Yes Stinkyboy,

All of the stores seem to stock their coffee filters with the machines. I have had to think with a Mexican perspectives to find lots of things.

My most recent problem has been hair clips. They don't really see a need for bobby pins. Previously I searched for a basic set of needles and thread. Who knew it was a craft shop item? But now I know where to find them, as well as some other things I would not have included in a craft store. You might look for shoe laces there, not shoes mind you, but laces.

I will second that,liverpool carry sheets with a high thread count,not in an individual size mind you.I bought mine when i first arrived here three years ago.Although I must say after three years in Mx thread counts dont mean as much to me as they used to.

I know this is late in coming.  But even I have to admit, there are really fewer things I actually buy when in the States.

Thanks for your detailedreply. So nice to know good bed linens are available! I also understand that bed frame sizes and mattress sizes are different than in the US. Do you know the equivalents to US king and queen sizes? Thanks so much!

SkyeMoody wrote:

Thanks for your detailedreply. So nice to know good bed linens are available! I also understand that bed frame sizes and mattress sizes are different than in the US. Do you know the equivalents to US king and queen sizes? Thanks so much!

Yes Skye,

Bed sizes are a whole other deal. They don't do California queens etc., They had pretty much singles and what they call the matrimonial bed which is sort of like a large single.   More recently they have come into the concept of standard Kings.  Probably standard queens also, but I have king sheets so I didn't check.
When I arrived here I had  a massive very heavy wooden frame bed which consisted of two more or less even twins minus mattresses. It accepted a king sheet sort of, was unmovable and very hard to make. The good news is I replaced it with the same kind of Sealy postrapedic I could have bought for more money in the U.S. the king sheets fit like a glove. So yes you can buy a bed, probably for less and linens At, once again Liverpool.  The original measurements on the old bed were  198x186 metric.

Large very heavy traditional things are fading, and being replaced with descent things if you look, or cheap junk if you don't really look sort of like the U.S.  Not that the traditional stuff isn't attractive, it is but, it requires help to move for the most part, and who has time to get a couple of men to help you clean house ?
Yes I have a housekeeper, but she isn't here every day, and she shouldn't have to move that weight either.

Yes gudgrief,

I have found there are lots of things I didn't need that I actually do not miss. Meanwhile I have found alternatives, or the actual product here often for less.  I have very little shipped from the U.S.

I have also found exotic fruits and veggies that have become an essential part of my diet. Most recently I tried a green fruit that looks like a puffer fish complete with serious spines. It's free from a tree hanging over my fence. I would have never tried the Guanaba hanging over my fence if my housekeeper hadn't pointed it out to me. Now I look for them, and keep a bowel of Guavas on the table because they smell wonderful , are very reasonable priced, and have more vit C than an orange.

My friends have pointed out many things I would have never seen in the U.S. veggie and fruit wise.

This is very helpful information indeed.  And I'm assuming that you don't refer to Liverpool, England, but to a department store?  There's one in Puerto Vallarta? Thanks again for your comments. I'm certainly glad that I have king-sized sheets!

~ Skye

Thanks for your comments.   Thread counts are pretty deceptive anyway. And since you're the second person on this site mentioning Liverpool, I'll assume it is actually a department store of sorts, and not referring to a city in the UK.  : - )

~ Skye

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know that sheets made in Mexico are of good quality an reasonably priced. I will bring fewer linens than I was planning to bring, and shop at Liverpool!

~ Skye

Skyemoody,

As they would say here JA Ja Ja or ho ho ho.  :lol:

Liverpool is an upgrade from a store like sears, or Walmarts. It has high quality items for the most part , sort of like the Bon in the U.S. did, before it became Macys and totally changed.

So think of it as a major department store of quality. And no it is not much more expensive than Walmarts, over all. It just doesn't try to have absolutely everything like Walmarts does.

Don't buy a ticket for England.

Buying shaving products is so difficult here that I had to fly to Florence, Italy to get decent soaps and brushes. All is fine now as I got enough product for a few years.

Excellent joaquinx,

Could you stop by Parmo  the next time you go, and get me some Parmigiano Reggiano and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar ?  Ja ja ja

travellight wrote:

Excellent joaquinx,

Could you stop by Parmo  the next time you go, and get me some Parmigiano Reggiano and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar ?  Ja ja ja

Hi to all,  well in our case we do love good cheeses and we get some directly in our little area  (La Peñita de Jaltemba)...yes Grana podano imported from Italy but you have to buy the complete kilo vacuum pack. These products are available via La cremeria Versailles in Puerto Vallarta.

Also, besides Liverpool strores there are also Lans stores, the best time to buy is in November with the Buen fin specials  (not sure if it is all over Mexico).

Finally, there is Coppel strores and internet site they have free delivery.

Adios y buen dia, GyC.