School for expat teens w/ no Spanish?

Hello!
For work-related reasons, we will live in Madrid for a year in 2011-12 and can't decide where our English-speaking children (who will be ages 12 & 15) should go to school. We would love for them to learn Spanish and meet Spanish children.  We're not wealthy and our work will not be subsidizing this education.  We would love to hear from expats whose children go to public schools in Madrid. Is there a consensus about the best public schools? Is it difficult for older children to catch on in an all-Spanish language environment? Our priority is a strong academic program, but sports and music are also important. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Hi hazel123, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Hi Hazel,

I'm fairly new to all this so apologies if the advice I give you is not quite what you are looking for. I cannot suggest any public schools that would suit your children, however a little advice in regards to learning a new language side of your concern. In truth I beleive that the younger child will be absolutely fine. Working in a school I see so many children that age adapt fairly quickly to the new learning environment - although there will be much of struggle at the start. Maybe when this child starts school you could ask them to allocate a 'buddy' who would be willing to introduce him/her to the school in a non-formal manner... that's what we do with international students. With the older child it really does depend on whether they are able to learn new languages well. If he/she has had some experience of french or any other european language then they should be ok with the transition (although far more challenging that with the younger). Maybe start extra classes at home for now until you do make the move? That way both children will be more confident with the change. I know it seems unrealistic that 3 years will make that much of a difference, however, from what I learn in University - an individuals ability to pick up a language as a native reduces dramatically through the teens. Generally below the age of 14 children can become native speakers of a languge with almost no difficulty however with age this becomes more challenging!

Hope my rambling has helped!

S