Been offered a job need advice

Hi
I've been offered a teaching job but my concern is I won't be able to afford to live especially as I have three children and they will only pay 50% school fees. I don't know what the school fees are and what the cost of living will be on the wage they are offering. I was expecting the wage to be above 1000kd but it's less. Is that too low especially with school fees and children?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

Depending on the national curriculum, you could be shelling out a huge chunk of your salary. UK curriculum schools have fees in the range of KD 1500 to KD 3000 per year - and your kids are still in junior! Indian curriculum is less, maybe up to KD 1000 (not sure).
Will they be covering rent for you? If not, I don't think that the figure is advisable.
Cheers

They are covering rent and 50% fees. It is a British school as I teach the British curriculum so my kids will be at the same school. They haven't given info about the accommodation so don't know if that's another expense with transport. Is there any teachers teaching out there that can help. What should I expect as a wage? Thanks

Don't accept its not enough you need minimum wage of 3000 KD plus housing and insurance do not come for less you will not survive

NO. It is not enough. The taxi costs themselves are OVERKILL!

Please check your private messages.

I've been asked to meet them while they are in the uk to discuss the offer properly. If they offer to pay school fees would 950kd still be too little to pay. I'm yet to know if school is close to accomodation or whether that is more cost. I'm a British curriculum trained teacher , so what do people think the amount should be. They will pay medical, accommodation, utilities but that's all I know. Will know more next week but want to know what I should ask for and what I need to know! Thanks

I replied to your messages.. GOOD LUCK.

Personally I don't think it's  enough and I advise you think long and hard and don't listen to the sales pitch. If you come to another country to work you should at least be able to save some money and have spare money to enjoy the experience and.treat your children.

I'm now not even thinking about the money. I've found out the area is not good and crime is high! Think I'll give Kuwait a miss.

Not all of Kuwait though! Mostly the area I mentioned. Crime is everywhere in the world..

Anyways I hope you will reconsider :)

Good luck!!!

1500kd is about 3600 pounds a month, enough for a single person, as for a family of 3 my friend struggles as his wife is an assistant and gets only 300kd a month, we can all guess which school it is, I dont think its enough

@gmannion... what school would that be? sorry to be blatant but I'm looking to move to Kuwait so it would be handy to know which schools to avoid

Thanks! :)

I don't think you can make enough in Kuwait as a teacher to support 3 children.  Whether or not they pay school fees, 950 is not enough. You probably need a minimum of 2000 but I don't think those jobs exist.

I think there are a few schools making close to that, mine is 1600, 3 kids its going to be expensive unless your partner can also work. 950 you will struggle, Simplelife is right there!

Do not accept anything less than you are on in the UK.

Work out your cost of living there.

Double it and go from there.

My children are grown up. So it is only the 2 of us. I find it expensive here.

Also be aware of health and safety..

If you do come. Bring smoke alarms with you.

Also it depends what you want and what you are looking for.

That said. I find Kuwait okay.