Female Safety from Sexual Harrassment

Hi. I will be bound for Maldives within the month and I have friends who warned me about the local men who have a tendency to squeeze a boob or butt to expat females there. At first, I heard one from a friend who previously worked in Maldives and then I hear 5 more from friends who have friends and relatives who worked or still based there. I start to worry if us expat women have protection or human rights to fight against such harassment.

I was warned a lot of times like the following:
1. They pretend not to see you (but they do), outstretched arms or hands to bump to your chest area and butt as if it was an accident but it was on purpose to touch you.
2. Do not look into their eyes because they assume that you are interested them (but you are not) and cued for them to pursue you (that will freak me out).
3. Be firmly to say no because they are persistent to expat women and follow you (creepy).
4. There will be someone random who will squeeze your boobs and butt.

I know not so much I hear about in this forum on this topic and I am sure the a lot of expat women just shrug it off or keep it quiet. But its a human right and I worry because the news I watched and news articles I come across from all over the world, I am always been informed and I research and listen from those who are there. I take notes, remember a lot of tips and advice from fellow backpackers/travellers and people who worked abroad.

Is there any safeguard for expat women in those situations?

Your friends are correct; this is a problem. It's mostly not local, Maldivian men who are the problem, but rather expat males from Bangladesh and Pakistan.

be vigilant when you get there :)

Most likely, I will as I am here at home from the Philippines and other few countries I have traveled. I am just concerned if we don't have rights as expat women to be protected when you defend yourself from them.

Laissez_Passer wrote:

Your friends are correct; this is a problem. It's mostly not local, Maldivian men who are the problem, but rather expat males from Bangladesh and Pakistan.

And the police/government can't do about it? :/

just go away when someone ask your name or when a guy try to get near from you if they still follow you go run away fast ! :D its their country we don't  know if police will help us if something happened to us. just avoid going out alone or if you have friends there much better if you go out with them and avoid eye contact with them as well .. good luck and take care :)

I know I will ignore the catcalls and put your headphones up. Have my big bag as a shield and armed with portable umbrella on your hand. But when you are going to buy food in the market, while paying or while picking items as you decide. Those will be chances.

I will make friends eventually but for now if my first weeks will be alone and it will be a time of adjusting to the environment. Its a challenge and I just want to know if have protection as expats being hired by our employers based in their country. Even if its their government, its our right to know their constitution and be knowledgeable of our human rights.

It not just about to just avoid (we will as much as we can and we never impose of asking for it) but when the situation escalates, what then? When you try to defend your right, it should be by the laws we could point out as valid. I am just saying not to be ignorant but to be aware. You cannot be clueless and stupid you know.

In the Middle East, they are starting to give rights to expat women who were raped by their employers and had them protected at the present. It may not change drastically but at least its starting to. In Malaysia, women there too are protected as well. I've gone around in Malaysia a couple times and I feel safe there in Little India and other public places. Singapore and Indonesia as well.

But I will take more precaution for me (like I always do) to backpack soon in India and Sri Lanka during at times for a holiday.