Moving to PR

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/21/investi … ws_economy

CNN agrees with my prediction that Puerto Rico homes are falling in price, or at least that it's a better time to buy than be selling.

One needs patience when buying to sell later, it is going to be a long time before the economy recovers. So if anybody buys, expect to keep the property for at least 5 years.Rent it or live in it in the mean time.

One warning, the property in front, behind, to the left or right of what you buy, may become an eye sore, it may end up abandoned or foreclosed. If you can talk to the people around you, they may tell you if they are having problems with work or bank, in that case you may want to buy a different property or at least be prepared for what is about to happen.

Many abandoned houses. They could be financial possibilities if you have more money to invest, the only problem is banks take a long time to complete the paperwork on a repo, it could be a year before it gets into the market, by that time it is probably damaged or partially taken apart (windows, doors, wiring, appliances). Once water start entering the property, it goes downhill quick.

I know people on this side of the island are selling anything cheap .They know what it's worth . I think it's too soon to buy.   I think people need to see what's going to happen once the us committee comes here. No one knows if they plan on raising sale tax or even property tax to pay the debt. If they were smart they would just legalize marijuana. Tax it and they would be out I'd debt soon enough .Create jobs and more tourist .They need to wake up

"I think it's too soon to buy."  Correct Sandra.  Easy to predict, bottom is far from in.

Well I expect I will be buying a plot of land in the next 2 months or so, it is a good deal for the area. About 6830 square meters (1.68 acres) of land.

I could wait but I am tired of working, my house is being repaired to go in the market and should be in the market in about 2 months, Once sold, I move to PR to a rental and start looking at house plans to build in the lot.

These old bones want the heat of PR and the slow life plus visit with my family, gran kids and friends.

Hey Rey,

Whatever on the timing thing.  And a bare lot is the smaller part from the house cost.

But none of that old bones talk.  Ur gonna get to PR, get healthy and be rejuvenated.  Time for a new era in Rey's life!  :)

Carlos when in RD wrote:

Hey Rey,

Whatever on the timing thing.  And a bare lot is the smaller part from the house cost.

But none of that old bones talk.  Ur gonna get to PR, get healthy and be rejuvenated.  Time for a new era in Rey's life!  :)

You bet Carlos. Yes the land I am looking at is around 65K, plus building the house I am targeting around 100 to 120k, pool and bar area maybe another 15k.

Between doing a little gardening, swiming in the pool, cooking in the grill everyday, laying in the hammock while having a drink and taking in the view, I won't have a lot of free time, but visiting family, friends and the beach should take the rest of my time.

No more getting up at 4:30 in the morning to go to the office.

You gotta invite me over when the time comes buddy.  I'm spread between German , French, Dutch, Spanish, & Mexican.  And God knows what else.  But I'm feelin' that Latino part more & more every day.  Esta rico.

Hi Ray,
Good luck as you begin your process of selling your home.
Try to jump start on fixing up the place and listing it just in time
For april ( spring time) thats when all the new homes for sale start
Listing. I put my house up last year on the market in may 2015,
I had a buyer by november, closed on house Dec 28, 2015.
There were alot of houses selling when i listed, alot of foreclosures,
Short sales, just a tough market. Am very thankful that we did sell
And got out of N.Y .  The taxes we were paying on our house were
Outrageous. Now here i am in sunny Puerto Rico with all that stress
Off my shoulders. We are enjoying living here, so glad i have
Missed all those snow storms, although thy are having a mild winter.
I wish you alot of luck on selling your home, and on being one
Step closer to your Dream of being in your beautiful Puerto Ricooo :top:
For ever... Mucha suerte

Thanks Figz,
House will go in the market around April if all goes well, would love to sell it by November or sooner.

As to winter, yes much milder, worst we had was -11 and 30 inches for snow versus 117 inches last year. However anything below 65 to me is winter, so using that rule, winter starts in October and ends in late June.

I can't wait to be back home with old friends and family after all these years in the mainland.

Carlos when in RD wrote:

You gotta invite me over when the time comes buddy.  I'm spread between German , French, Dutch, Spanish, & Mexican.  And God knows what else.  But I'm feelin' that Latino part more & more every day.  Esta rico.

As soon as I am settle I will let you know, we will have a BBQ and drinks by the pool.

Sounds great. I'll be waitin'

Hi Figz and Welcome to Puerto Rico. I believe that I have corresponded with you before since we are also from the island they call Long, ha ha. Lastly from Selden and we have been here for 1 1/2 yrs. and love it. We are in Quebradillas and do not miss the snow AT ALL!!! In fact, they are getting 1-3 inches tonight and it is 26oF there now. BRRRRR.

The only thing that I miss is my daughter and grandkids and that is all. This being very hard for me to say since I am a born and bred New Yorker born in Manhattan a couple of years ago, ha ha.

How do you like where you live?  We just love this little town and its quirky people.  I am a NewYorican and my hubby was born in San German but left here at 2 yrs old. so we are fully bilingual and are able to communicate well with the people around us.  I came here kicking and screaming since I am a city girl but have learned to love it here.

Once we get it together, we are going to have an expat get together and I will make sure to post it so that anyone who wants to meet up can.  By the way, do you play Poker?

Take care,

Tonie

I am getting ready to travel to PR on 3/17 or 3/18 to go see a few plot of land around Ceiba that interest me. Waiting to hear about a place to stay before I finalise the trip.

We won't be able to travel until the wife's recuperacion is done. Hope you find something you like.

By the way guys. Here is the crim site. Select the town and zoom in, if you know the map coordinates of a property you want to investigate you can enter that too. The site has a lot of info like who the property belongs to, size, last purchased price, taxes, all kinds of things!!!!
Check it at https://www.satasgis.crimpr.net/catastrodigital/

Note that taxes are pretty much based on CRIM property value which is based on the property value back in 1959. Even new house to my knowledge are based on what that house would have cost to make in 1959.
Needless to say, taxes are very low to none in a lot of cases.

Thank you, Rey!

Ok I will arrive around noon 3/17 and head to Humacao, leaving 3/22. So it is a fairly quick trip.

Well in about 5 days (3/17) I will be in the island to visit some friends, take a look at some land that I may buy and visit with my brother and some other family. It is going to be busy and I only have 6 days. I will be in the east coast around Humacao, Ceiba, Fajardo, if you want to get together shoot me a message and we shall see if we can work it out.

Lucky you Rey!

With all this rain and cold I wish I can be at the Island!

Have fun and I hope you find a place.

:idontagree:

Have a safe, fun trip Rey! Hope you find the right spot for your new home!

Rey, good to hear you are coming down to find your land, Sorry that you won't be here long as we are having a get together for expats on April 9. but maybe next time.

Take care and have a good trip.

Tonie

Adlin 20, I don't know where you are in the states but it has been raining here like it was rainy season.  Several times a day every day. UGH!!!! Once in a while, the sun comes out bu not for long. I feel bad for vacationers that only have a short time here and this weather stinks. It is even a little chilly that I have closed windows and such. Never did I think that I would do that here. But hey, at least we are here and there are more sunny days to come.

Take care,

Tonie

Tonie: At least it is not snowing in PR, yes the rain is a little excessive for this time of the year. I will probably have to deal with mud when I go see that piece of land due to the excessive rain, Yuck!

But the island will be a lot greener with the rain and we will start the dry season with the reservoirs full to the brim.

Cool / cold is relative, I seen many in PR with a sweater on when the temperature drops to 65. Here we are in T-shirts at 50 degrees, low will be 32 tonight.

I know Rey, I don't miss the snow or cold at all and I do appreciate the warmer temperatures.
I also have seen people with sweaters on here when it is 70oF but at least we don't get snow.

Last year we had a long draught and it got scary with 2 days on and off..so I guess some rain is always welcomed full water reserves cleaner air cleaner streets.. we are a tropical island after all, summer is around the corner so we'll see what el niño has in store for us !

It is funny how after all these years in the states, I mostly remember the sunny days in PR and not the rainy days. But like you said El niño has done some changes to the pattern.

Everything is Relative!

Yes, rain today again - and cool.  But the weather is relative to what you are used to  -  I recall a friend who was from Florida told me once, "when its only 70 degrees here (in florida) you can always spot the tourists - they are the ones in T shirts and shorts - the natives, (floridans) will be wearing coats!

When I moved from Minnesota to SE Texas, I thought it was a hoot when the temp dropped into the 50's the mothers would have their youngsters going to school dressed up like Eskimos in the arctic! bundled up in coats and scarfs & hats as if they might get frostbite!!   :lol:

tonie064 wrote:

Adlin 20, I don't know where you are in the states but it has been raining here like it was rainy season.  Several times a day every day. UGH!!!! Once in a while, the sun comes out bu not for long. I feel bad for vacationers that only have a short time here and this weather stinks. It is even a little chilly that I have closed windows and such. Never did I think that I would do that here. But hey, at least we are here and there are more sunny days to come.

Take care,

Tonie

Tonie,

I live in Texas, DFW area but travel to Palo Alto Ca for work. Both places been raining for the past 2 weeks. We had over 6" of rain in my house in Texas. The bad thing is that if it rain in California at the beginning of the week by the weekend it will had move to Texas. So I will have rain following me.

This means that once all this rain is over I will be busy with the over grown grass. Not the way I want to enjoy my weekend in Texas.

My contractor had not been able to work at our house in Sabana Grande because of all the rain you guys been experiencing. At least we hope no water restrictions this year. Hopefully the rain will ease and  he can be done with the additions we want before we go back.

Well it looks like I am bringing the drier weather, I arrive tomorrow and it looks like it won't be raining heavy from Thursday to Monday, at least it looks like nothing but occasional showers.

The wife purchased the Fluenz Spanish course and seem to be doing good with it, she is spending about 2 hours a day on it and her pronunciation is sounding good.She is working hard on it.

I will be seeing some of you tomorrow and Friday. I will be enjoying the warm weather and the salty air. Staying at Palmas del Mar thanks to Frogrock.

Enjoy your trip down here Rey and have a safe trip. Palmas is gorgeous and there is much to do there and around there. Hope that you find the land that you are looking for and are able to begin your retirement down here soon.

Take care,

Tonie

Have a wonderful fun and productive visit, Rey.  Did you bring some marshmallow Peeps to Frogrock?

No she did not ask me for those, she wanted some caramon and mustard seeds. They dont sell the peeps here?

Quite a while ago Frogrock said she couldn't find them.  I sent her some for Christmas.  Perhaps now that the stores all have their Easter candy out, she may be able to find them at Walmart or Walgreens, since they are traditionally an Easter candy up here in New York.  Tell her to let me know if she needs a shipment. 

Wish I could be there with you guys.

Yes they do have them here, she is able to get them.

It is nice to be here in Palmas in the warm of the island and the bright days with great puffy clouds and blue sky.

We are visiting the Melendeski's today and tomorrow going to look at some land.

Hava a good time Rey, hopefully you will find a nice place to build your dream home. Keep us informed.

Will do!!!!

Getting something to drink and eat at rincon, drove in to take a look at what is all about in this part of the island. Q

Hi Rey,

If you're in my area (Hatillo), please feel free to stop by and say hi, we love company!

I'd luv to hear a quick reaction to Rincon area Rey.  Pls do.  :)