Account holder of Mauritian account, passed away in South Africa-

Hi,

This is a complex question and its more for information on the procedure to follow to point me in the right direction:

My father had dual citizenship in South Africa and Mauritius - So he had an account in Mauritius.

He was killed in September in a car crash in South Africa- I mention this as in South Africa the nature of death (natural causes or unnatural causes matter when closing accounts here)

I have contacted his bank in Mauritius and asked what procedure to follow in order to close his account however their reply is not really helpful in what procedures need to be followed and what paper work is needed.

they have simply replied with "For your information request ,duly apostilled as per provisions of the Hague convention, should be sent by post to: street address in port louis

I am in South Africa? so to post a letter just to ask what information is needed will take weeks.....

Can anyone assist in how to get answers? on what paperwork or procedure needs to be followed

I have replied and asked for the email address for The Mauritius Commercial Bank but they don't reply.

Thanking you
Gen

Hi,
To simplify things, it is better for you to:
get a death certificate
his birth certificateto show that he was born in Mauritius
Your birth certificate to confirm that you are his son!!.
If you have other brothers and sistsers it is imporant to get evryone's on board.
You can get a solicitor to prepare an affidavit to produce to the supreme court of Mauritius. You can provideyourdetails with your bank account too!!
OBviously you can do this is Mauritius or even South Africa.It will take longer if you prepare thepapers in SA but if you come to Mauritius and get aleal office with all the papers then it is a matter of time.
Regards
Vedan

Thank you for answering.
Do you know how long this process takes if I come to Mauritius?

It should not take long BUT you can try and write to a solicitor to see if he can act on your behalf wth all the information I suggested to you. This is a matter of Registry. My fatherdied 5 years ago and he had some money into his account.  My youngest brother who is a psychopath did this and put a sum of money in everyone's account.  There is not much I can do now unless I want to prosecute him
Try:
http://www.hg.org/lawfirms/mauritius/port-louis.html or try
my solicitor who is very understanding and charges reasonably:
Salehmohamed Mohamed Hassam
Address: Cnr. Jules Koenig & Sir Virgil Naz St, Port Louis, Mauritius
City of Mauritius
Phone: (00230)208 3640

Regards
Vedan

thank you i will contact him.

thank you for your help

Hi everyone,

@ Vedan,if you don't mind, could you also recommend your solicitor in the business directory please, so that if ever members need his service, they may easily find his contact details.

https://www.expat.com/en/add-business/africa/mauritius/

Thanks in advance
Bhavna