Teaching English in Costa Rica

Buenos Dias! Hi! I'm from South Africa and will be doing a TEFL course in Manuel Antonio in April. Thereafter, I'll be looking to teach Englisg preferably close to the sea. Any advice? Does a South African need a yellow fever certificate to enter CR? Are there flights from CR back to SA that don't fly via USA?

Know that without a work permit it is illegal for you to work here, even teaching English.

Entering the country from these  countries require the vaccine for yellow fever

How does one apply for a work permit?

Gracias por el informacion, mi amigo. Hasta luego!

A potential employer must do this on your behalf, and unfortunately many 'TESL' schools will tell you they will do so and don't follow through.They are very difficult to obtain, especially to teach English and it could take a year to get one, if indeed you are one of the lucky ones.  The employer is then required to pay health benefits, etc. which many are loathe to do.

The link I provided has more info on the application.

Hello Gerhard Uys,

I invite you to read the article Work in Costa Rica in the Expat Guide.

It contains information about the work permit which may be helpful to you.

Thank you,
Naomi.

Ok thanks a lot for clearing that up. Even though it's possible, I wouldn't enjoy working 'under the table' in another country. I'm getting my TEFL qualification in Costa Rica, and even though it will cost a lot, I know there are other countries where I'll be able to use the qualification in future. Any one know of inexpensive boarding close to Manuel Antonio?

Thanks Naomi, I'll check it out.

Kohlerias almost sounds as though he doesn't want me to work in Costa Rica ;)

I had some info regarding guests  who worked in Heredia as teachers over the years which differs drom those here "acting as professional advisors" :) If you PM me but i agree wuth the post that says  "sounds like you do not really want to work here "
I have lived here 25 years

It makes no difference to me whether you work here or not. I have met too many people over the years of living here that have paid to take TESL courses and then found they cannot legally work.

BTW Manual Antonio is a high tourist area which translates  that is an expensive area in which to live.

Article 1
Article 2